I was listening to a TiPb podcast on my way to work this morning and it got me thinking. They were talking about the fact that some users will say this app is not worth $5 or $7 it should be 0.50 etc. I'm just thinking as iPhone users the thing we can boast most over other smartphones like BB, Pre, etc. is the App Store and how many useful apps there are. I'm just wondering users who smoke, drink beer and other non essential costly indulgences. Why are we, going beyond the addiction factor, willing to buy $7 CDN pack of cigarettes a day adding up to possibly $35/week or $24CDN on a 24 pack of beer a week but have a problem paying $5 or $7 dollars for an app that you retain use and ownership of forever. I'm not a smoker or a beer drinker so those prices might be a tad hight, I'm not arguing the pros and cons of smoking or drinking beer and this is not an arguement but merely and observation and a thread to bring out some discussion and opinions. My point is that these developers dont sit in a room for 2 or 3 minutes and bang out an app and then charge $7 for it. So I'm just wondering why some don't see the worth in it? My examples of beer and cigarettes when you spend that $7 it lasts you until that pack of cigarettes is gone there is no more value after that. When you spend 4.99 on an app you can use it, remove it and add it back 4 years later as well as update it when updates are available. I have paid for apps what I thought was reasonable even when there were free apps that had the same functionality but not the same set of features. If you only buy 0.99 apps then developers will not find it worth their time, they are trying to make money just like each of us. Then if we have a decrease of apps the platform will be losing one of it's key benefits.This was just a thought and I'd love to hear others thoughts and opinions?
    10-29-2009 09:13 AM
    I think it is mostly a problem with the internet culture of stuff "should" be free. Your cigarette price is probably right, but I don't smoke. Your beer price is far low, that's the price of cheap beer for a party. Right now beer is ~$9 a six pack for good beer.

Yes I am often hesitant to buy a $10 app but regularly spend $9 (sometimes more) on beer. I think it really depends on what the app does. Games I am more likely to spend $10 on being a gamer $10 is a steal compared to $60 Xbox/PS3 games. Traditional software though I will normally search the reviews or come to TiPb and see if anyone has said it was good. One example of is beejive, for the longest time I thought why would anyone pay for an IM client when you can get official ones for free. But after lots of talk here and PNS coming out I got it and love it. I think that one more so than others opened my eyes to more paid apps, I since got twittelator pro, and see they really are worth the price. The problem though like you said is if I pay this money how many others will and if they don't how long will the developer support it?

I don't think the app store is alone in people not wanting to pay. I don't think I know a single person with a real version of MS Office or Photoshop. The app store is just so huge and gets all the attention because of the iPhone.
    10-29-2009 12:35 PM
    I just think it's funny using the cigarettes as an example again, if the price of cigarettes go up sure some complain but even though they complain they still buy the same packs of cigarettes. However for an app they don't see the worth of paying 4.99 even though they get so much more benefit. I think you are right though. The piracy thing I can't even figure that one out, I can understand when people get a $6-700 piece of software. When you pirate a 5.99 or even 10.99 app that's just plain wrong.
    10-29-2009 11:16 PM
    I just think it's funny using the cigarettes as an example again, if the price of cigarettes go up sure some complain but even though they complain they still buy the same packs of cigarettes. However for an app they don't see the worth of paying 4.99 even though they get so much more benefit. I think you are right though. The piracy thing I can't even figure that one out, I can understand when people get a $6-700 piece of software. When you pirate a 5.99 or even 10.99 app that's just plain wrong.
    I agree.

Here's my input with apps, I do jailbreak, but I will NEVER pirate apps. People don't realize, it isn't a huge software company 99% of the time, it's an individual who took a lot of their own time to make that app. I support developers.

Now software companies like Adobe and several others, that's a whole other issue and I'll be honest, I have cracked versions of all the CS4 apps, and that's because I do not think any software program should be priced at over a thousand dollars.

Adobe's CS4 master collection is $2,499!! That is INSANE! And that's with them saying you're saving 60% as opposed to buying the individual programs separately.

To me, that's highway robbery and I refuse to pay it. How do they expect graphics design students and people who need it for work to pay that? I know students get discounts, and I can only speak for my college (Purdue), which is a big 10 school, and the discount wasn't even that great. You were still shelling out over 1,000 for the suite.

You have to draw the line somewhere, and some of the big wigs are just raping people left and right. I would say, I might pay around 500-700 for the ENTIRE Adobe suite. That would be reasonable, and they'd still make a killing. But 2,500 is robbery, and that's crossing the line in my book.

To me, paying 10-20 bucks for an app is worth it. I know some apps in the app store are expensive, like the GPS apps, but I'd go out on a limb and say they're worth it. The convenience of having a GPS unit built-in your phone and having it all on one device is awesome. For me personally, I have no need for GPS, I'll google maps something and be good with that, but for people who travel with work and use GPS frequently, downloading those apps is a LOT cheaper than paying for a GPS unit and then sometimes a monthly service fee on top of that.

Bottom line, people love to complain. We live in an age of entitlement, and you my friend are one of the few people that apparently don't feel the way most of society does, entitled. We get a lot of decent people around here because a lot of them either ARE devs, or understand that they are people who need to make an honest living too. Those who don't feel entitled in this day and age are a rare breed, so pat yourself on the back my friend.
    Last edited by Allyson Kazmucha; 10-30-2009 at 01:58 PM.
    10-30-2009 01:54 PM
    my - 3,99 max
    10-31-2009 02:14 AM
    I agree.

Here's my input with apps, I do jailbreak, but I will NEVER pirate apps. People don't realize, it isn't a huge software company 99% of the time, it's an individual who took a lot of their own time to make that app. I support developers.

Now software companies like Adobe and several others, that's a whole other issue and I'll be honest, I have cracked versions of all the CS4 apps, and that's because I do not think any software program should be priced at over a thousand dollars.

Adobe's CS4 master collection is $2,499!! That is INSANE! And that's with them saying you're saving 60% as opposed to buying the individual programs separately.

To me, that's highway robbery and I refuse to pay it. How do they expect graphics design students and people who need it for work to pay that? I know students get discounts, and I can only speak for my college (Purdue), which is a big 10 school, and the discount wasn't even that great. You were still shelling out over 1,000 for the suite.

You have to draw the line somewhere, and some of the big wigs are just raping people left and right. I would say, I might pay around 500-700 for the ENTIRE Adobe suite. That would be reasonable, and they'd still make a killing. But 2,500 is robbery, and that's crossing the line in my book.

To me, paying 10-20 bucks for an app is worth it. I know some apps in the app store are expensive, like the GPS apps, but I'd go out on a limb and say they're worth it. The convenience of having a GPS unit built-in your phone and having it all on one device is awesome. For me personally, I have no need for GPS, I'll google maps something and be good with that, but for people who travel with work and use GPS frequently, downloading those apps is a LOT cheaper than paying for a GPS unit and then sometimes a monthly service fee on top of that.

Bottom line, people love to complain. We live in an age of entitlement, and you my friend are one of the few people that apparently don't feel the way most of society does, entitled. We get a lot of decent people around here because a lot of them either ARE devs, or understand that they are people who need to make an honest living too. Those who don't feel entitled in this day and age are a rare breed, so pat yourself on the back my friend.
    I agree I remember a friend of mine that out of highschool wanted to do his own 3d modelling work. All the software form-Z, 3D Max, etc were priced so high. OK big companies can afford it but the budding entrepenuer what are they to do? So he had to do his own personal work not as a company yet with cracked versions. Once he started getting clients he bought his own license and started his company. So like you said in these cases when they charge and make exorbitant amounts of money I feel it for the little guy who isn't doing just because they can. Also who can tell me all the celebs not one of them has pirated music, so why does the music biz go after the soccer mom while a celeb would be able to pay, would be a good example, and the celeb would prob become cooler with the younger generation who would think it's cool? They know the celeb has enough money to hire a lawyer and counter sue. I understand if someone has a budget and doesn't see the worth in apps over such a dollar amount we all have bills to pay etc. it's when you look at an app don't look at the price look at whether you need it, will use it for what you pay and the features. If not then pass it up but don't lowball it because it took alot of work to make it and they are all for our benefit and bragging rights
    10-31-2009 07:36 AM
    I never understood the logic of buying a $300+ phone but then pirating an app that costs a fraction of that. I wonder what the demographics look like as far as who pirates apps the most. Is it a kiddies who have no money and their parents buy them iPhones, young adults in their 20's, or is it something totally different??
    10-31-2009 10:36 AM
    I support developers too
    10-31-2009 01:21 PM
    Great discussion!

I don't want to repeat anything that's been said so I'll just say I agree with everything Ipheuria and Sting have said.

When I was in high school, I pirated music and software all the time. Then one day I woke up and realized that I was stealing. It's now turned into a moral thing for me. Well, with iPhone applications I truly want to support developers for making quality applications. If they can't make a little money off their product, they will stop developing for the iPhone. With software like Adobe, I agree that CS4 software is obnoxiously overpriced but I will not pirate it. I'd feel like a thief and it'd eat at me every time I used it. Photoshop is the only one I'm really interested in, so while I'm still poor, I just use Photoshop Elements. Eventually I will buy CS4 (or whatever version at the time) with my student discount. I will say though that I will probably never purchase it at full price, it's just not worth it. I will always find someone to use their student discount to buy it for me. I'm morally ok with that since I would still be purchasing it.
    10-31-2009 01:50 PM
    When I got my first computer, especially being from another country I wasn't aware of all the details. I used to pirate games and songs because that is what my friends showed me how to do. As I started to gain more knowledge on the subject I stopped because did I really need to play that game? was it really going to impact my life so huge if I wasn't able to play the game? I started working by then and could buy my games, software, CDs, etc. Everyone is no perfect I might get a song that was ripped or whatever but 98% of my itunes songs are all ripped from the thousands and thousands of CDs and tapes I had since I was a teenager. Luckily I work at a company that buys volume licenses of software and being in IT I get a license to use the software so I can help users with questions, problems, crashes etc. So I get my photoshop fix for free but what I'm thinking these companies Adobe, Microsoft, Autodesk, etc. why wouldn't they have a system where smaller entrepenuers or students could get the software witha one or two year grace period and then start to pay the cost. This would help alot of startups etc. who don't want to use the cracked software but do out of necessity. When it comes to the iPhone however damn $10 that's like a coffee at Starbucks and if you think it's overpriced then don't buy it but pirating I just don't see the point other than because I can.
    10-31-2009 02:09 PM
    Developers should get their cut. Support developers!

J
    11-02-2009 10:44 AM
    Great discussion!

I don't want to repeat anything that's been said so I'll just say I agree with everything Ipheuria and Sting have said.

When I was in high school, I pirated music and software all the time. Then one day I woke up and realized that I was stealing. It's now turned into a moral thing for me. Well, with iPhone applications I truly want to support developers for making quality applications. If they can't make a little money off their product, they will stop developing for the iPhone. With software like Adobe, I agree that CS4 software is obnoxiously overpriced but I will not pirate it. I'd feel like a thief and it'd eat at me every time I used it. Photoshop is the only one I'm really interested in, so while I'm still poor, I just use Photoshop Elements. Eventually I will buy CS4 (or whatever version at the time) with my student discount. I will say though that I will probably never purchase it at full price, it's just not worth it. I will always find someone to use their student discount to buy it for me. I'm morally ok with that since I would still be purchasing it.
    CS4 is the only product I've ever pirated. But my Adobe rant is for a whole other thread.

I think Adobe gouges people because they can. Their software is so overpriced it isn't funny. I can honestly say I've never pirated anything but CS4. I actually bought CS3 but then when I saw they'd charge me 1,000 to upgrade it, I was like, um, yeah because I didn't already pay an arm and a leg.

I am a huge supporter of independent devs though. The little guys are the ones that seem to get screwed over the most, and they're probably the ones that need it the most.
    11-02-2009 02:47 PM
    i stick with free unless its something i really really need like GPS that i have now and love!!
    11-02-2009 02:58 PM
    i stick with free unless its something i really really need like GPS that i have now and love!!
    I do too. I have a like three pay apps. One which happens to be BeejiveIM. Best money I've spent on an app, hands down!
    11-02-2009 04:49 PM
    I do too. I have a like three pay apps. One which happens to be BeejiveIM. Best money I've spent on an app, hands down!
    yea i been reading up on it and it seems pretty useful but i have a Q: Can you send sms to somesone cell phone number?
    11-02-2009 05:03 PM
    yea i been reading up on it and it seems pretty useful but i have a Q: Can you send sms to somesone cell phone number?
    Yeah you can do that but only through AIM or Yahoo accounts. The menu is kinda hidden but it's easy once you know where it's at.
    11-02-2009 05:40 PM
    Yea i have a yahoo IM account, so basically, i can send someone a sms via yahoo to lets say mobile # 123-456-7890?? how does it show up on the mobile device receiving the sms?
    11-02-2009 05:59 PM
    I just sent a SMS to my buddy......I used AIM to send it. He says the message he received had my screen name, the client I was using, and a six digit number. The six digit number wasn't anywhere close to my cell number.
    11-02-2009 06:55 PM
    ok got u...so im guessing he replied back and u got the sms from his mobile? Thanks alot for your help, i think i will try this!
    11-02-2009 06:58 PM
    Actually, I called him.....lol. I wanted to get the details from the horse's mouth rather than from some convoluted text. He offered to send a text back but I didn't think it would be necessary.

You're welcome.
    11-02-2009 07:03 PM
    $24CDN on a 24 pack of beer a week...I'm not a smoker or a beer drinker so those prices might be a tad hight
    I was just about to ask where you getting a case of beer for 24 bucks. Lmao.
    11-02-2009 10:33 PM
    I was just about to ask where you getting a case of beer for 24 bucks. Lmao.
    yeah I'm sorry I don't drink beer so I was trying to put a price I thought was high but not crazy high so that everyone would be like I don't pay that much for beer as a retort LOL
    11-03-2009 04:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD