Mac to PC, can my iPhone help me out?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I am going to buy the new 27" core i5 iMac soon, as I feel like I've finally waited long enough and it's the perfect Mac for me.

My question is, can my iPhone transfer all of my important data to my new Mac from my PC for me?

I keep ALL my important information and files on my iPhone. All my movies, TV show episodes, my entire music library, email accounts, calendars, notes, etc. are on my iPhone 3GS. Is there a way that I could plug in my iPhone to my iMac and have all of this information sync over to the Mac? Like a third party solution that can grab the mp3s off of your iPhone?

I need a solution that won't lose my meta tags and cover art on my songs or TV episodes, because I spend a lot of time organizing tags and I am finally done with it.. I really don't want to redo the tags all over again..

thanks in advance.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Also you could enable home sharing in iTunes on both computers and then just pull everything to your iMac. Also remember to make a backup of your iTunes if you did that much work.

Just saw your question so why not answer that too, in your My Music folder there should be an iTunes folder if you copy that folder to the Mac I think that's what they means. If I'm wrong they'll correct me.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Also you could enable home sharing in iTunes on both computers and then just pull everything to your iMac. Also remember to make a backup of your iTunes if you did that much work.

Just saw your question so why not answer that too, in your My Music folder there should be an iTunes folder if you copy that folder to the Mac I think that's what they means. If I'm wrong they'll correct me.

Oh right I forgot about home sharing!! thanks. It's just that when I plug in my iMac I'm not going to have room to operate both computers at once, so I kind of wanted to be able to just pull the stuff off of my iPhone and right onto the iMac.

I would use an external HDD but I don't have any flash drives near big enough to take all my data over to the iMac and I don't exactly want to do it 1GB at a time..

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Do you have a house network or wifi connection? If you have a network or they are both on the same Wifi network and can see each other just turn both on in different rooms and move the data from one machine to the other through the network. There are ways to get the stuff off your iPhone but you'll have to search the forums for that software, and it might not be as complete as if you copied the data from your computer to the iMac.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
You could always bring your PC into the Apple store and have a Mac Genius transfer all your stuff for you. I'm pretty sure it's free.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
llofte, I definitely would do that if my PC wasnt a huge hunk of junk with a big ass external monitor... And considering I dont live that close to an apple store that would mean getting my mom to drive me to downtown toronto and that isnt happening, EVER. :(

Ipheuria
I am thinking about the wifi solution but the thing is creating networks to share files on is still very clunky and counter-intuitive even on Windows 7. :/ it makes me sadface for reals. I guess I will end up trying the "Home sharing" option in iTunes.