I have a jailbroken iPhone that gets NO SERVICE in my apartment due to the thickness of the windows or insulation. I know AT&T s coming out with a microcell to allow you to use your phone over your internet. But, they have provided no infotmation about when it is coming out nationwide - its only in test markets - Chicago, where I live is not one

Anyone know of any solutions that will aloow me to make calls from my iphone over my cable internet using my existing number? I know I can sign up for skype or frind or other services but I don't think those would ring my AT&T iphone number when I get a call or allow me to call from that number.

Anyone know of a creativ way to make calls over the internet with my ipone using my existing number (efectively doing what I would be able to do with the microcell??)

thanks in advance!
    10-27-2009 12:48 PM
    Doesn't Vonage offer VoIP for iPhone?? Lemme check on that one.... Yep they sure do...Vonage - Vonage Mobile
    10-27-2009 12:52 PM
    Close, but i think it is for international calls only. Any, i am not sure if it takes incoming calls which I am more concerned about. Right now, calls go right to my voicemail b/c there is no service and I do not get the messages until I leave.
    10-27-2009 01:06 PM
    most of the solutions require the app to be running at all time. if you close that app you can't take incoming calls. you could never do anything without risking losing a call. kind of defeats the purpose of having an iphone

you have two options:
    1. move

OR

get a landline, setup google voice and configure it to ring your cell and that landline. then you hand out the google voice number and pick up the phone you're at.

you can make outgoing google voice calls from any phone you've preconfigured to receive calls and it will show your google voice number.
    10-27-2009 04:03 PM
    Not trying to be ignorant or anything but have you checked out the MicroCell website lately to see if your area is covered? I can't believe that Charlotte to Raleigh is covered but someplace like Chicago is not. makes no sense.....
    10-27-2009 04:42 PM
    get a landline, setup google voice and configure it to ring your cell and that landline. then you hand out the google voice number and pick up the phone you're at.

you can make outgoing google voice calls from any phone you've preconfigured to receive calls and it will show your google voice number.
    This is what I would recommend this. I do something very similar but I use Skype with GV and my iPhone. You may also wantto see if this thread helps out any. It is a very creative solution.
    10-27-2009 05:01 PM
    Service is sketchy at best at my house...Skype works just fine
    10-27-2009 06:57 PM
    Not trying to be ignorant or anything but have you checked out the MicroCell website lately to see if your area is covered? I can't believe that Charlotte to Raleigh is covered but someplace like Chicago is not. makes no sense.....
    It's in a pilot program.
    10-27-2009 11:35 PM
    I have the MicroCell. It first rolled out in Charlotte for initial testing. Then made it's way to the Raleigh/Durham area. I live in between in Chapel Hill and have it. My understanding was that it was suppose to be rolled out nationwide last month. Again I am surprised that a city as big as Chicago has not gotten it yet.....
    10-28-2009 08:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD