Running out of room on my hard drive

Kalebd13

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I currently have my wife's phone backing up on my local hard drive through iTunes. With the purchase of a new iPhone for myself, I am going to run out of room on my hard drive.

a.) Is there a way to transfer the current data to an external drive?
b.) How do I map iTunes to back-up on the external hard drive?

Thanks all
JD

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
the iphone backup itself isnt that big, why would you be running out of space. all the music and such is already stored on the computer with itunes. the only thing really backing up is pics, apps, and settings really. and that cant be that large. i would assume that you can look for the actual itunes backup of the iphone and transfer it to an external drive but i'm not sure. i'm also not sure that you can tell itunes where to send its backups. it may just default to wherever you have the itunes library stored. mine is not on the local drive but on a different drive installed on my computer.

Kalebd13

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
the iphone backup itself isnt that big, why would you be running out of space. all the music and such is already stored on the computer with itunes. the only thing really backing up is pics, apps, and settings really. and that cant be that large. i would assume that you can look for the actual itunes backup of the iphone and transfer it to an external drive but i'm not sure. i'm also not sure that you can tell itunes where to send its backups. it may just default to wherever you have the itunes library stored. mine is not on the local drive but on a different drive installed on my computer.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I hope to get a new PC next year and I am cleaning this one up, but have so much junk on it....

Thanks again
PAX
JD

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
ok, so here is where i found the backups. local disk, users, (your username), app data, roaming, apple computer, mobilesync, backup.

all your backups should be here in files. mine are around 112 mbs each, and i only have like 1.56 gigs left on my 8gb iphone. make sure that you have the option to see all hidden files or you wont be able to access this.

Kalebd13

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
ok, so here is where i found the backups. local disk, users, (your username), app data, roaming, apple computer, mobilesync, backup.

all your backups should be here in files. mine are around 112 mbs each, and i only have like 1.56 gigs left on my 8gb iphone. make sure that you have the option to see all hidden files or you wont be able to access this.

Thanks! I also noticed that the space on the hard drive is mainly taken by Apps and photos, so lots of pics and such will catch up with me. I will just watch myself for the next few months. :)

PAX
JD

obee1

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
I have hundreds of photos and they hardly take any room, but if that's your problem, you can specify where to save them. Just go into "My Computer" and open the folders where the pics are (the only folders that show in my computer) and drag and drop into the external hdd.

As far as apps go, you're kind of stuck. If you remove them from your iTunes library, it'll either remove them when you sync, or re-add them to the library from your phone. Not sure which.

The only other possibility (and I haven't tried it myself), is have the actual iTunes program stored on an external hdd. It'd probably sync everything to the same location that iTunes is, so you can try that if you get desperate.