I'm going to buy an Iphone tomorrow and can't decide which one to buy,I'm torn between the 3G and 3GS models. My question is what can the 3GS do that the 3G can't besides the extra storage space? Can a 3G Iphone still be jail broken to allow video capture and picture mail? I've read it can't be due to the new software is this true?

My other question is how many hours of video can the 3G 8GB model hold vs.the 16GB 3GS? Is there a way if you buy from itunes or rip your own DVD's to reduce the quality slightly to fit more hours of video? I have to say for the $99 price I don't see how I can go wrong with the 3G model but I'm wanting to know what I'll be missing out on to. Thanks for any help guys as I'm new here and really need help in making this decision tomorrow.
    10-15-2009 05:06 PM
    get the 3GS. "S" = speed!
    i have a 3G and my wife has the 3GS. hers IS faster.
    don't know why you would want the slower one...
    10-15-2009 05:27 PM
    3GS is faster, and has video capture. 3G is cheaper if that's your main concern. as for the amount of video you can put on them, i have no idea. perhaps poke around the link below for more comparisons on both the 3G & 3GS.

Apple - iPhone - Technical Specifications
    10-15-2009 05:40 PM
    3GS, the extra money has been more than worth it over a 3G in my opinion.

The 3G doesn't do video recording without being jailbroken. You can still jailbreak it even with the new firmware, but you probably cannot UNLOCK it to use on a carrier other than the one it was intended for ( ie AT&T here in the states ). The new 3GS you get may not be able to be jailbroken depending on the bootloader version.

The 3GS has voice dialing, a compass, a better camera ( 3mega pixel vs 2 ). Eh, I guess you can just look at the comparison page Apple - iPhone - Compare iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G
    Last edited by big9erfan; 10-15-2009 at 06:06 PM.
    10-15-2009 06:01 PM
    I'm on my third model of iphone.

the speed alone isn't enough to buy it if money is an issue. but if you're comparing the two it's worth it if you have the extra money. if you will use it for a turn by turn directions or the record video find the extra money
    10-15-2009 07:35 PM
    money is kind of an issue I can afford the 3GS if I really wanted to but could also use the extra $100 in my pocket to,if that makes sense? I've played with the 3G iphone and it seemed plenty zippy to me it didn't seem slow at all. If I do go with the 3G tomorrow can you guys here walk me though jailbreaking it? Doesn't the JB enable the 3G model to capture video? and doesn't the new software allow picture mail as well out of the box now? Lastly how many of hours of video can an 8GB iphone hold? thanks so far for the help guys.
    10-15-2009 07:51 PM
    Video on the JB 3g is half the frame rate as a 3gs out of the box. The 3gs IS twice as fast the games is where you really notice this along with loading of webpages. The built in compass is great for maps and augmented reality. And voice control on the 3gs rocks! It even works over your Bluetooth headset!

My advice? 3gs all the wAy and get the most storage space possible. If you can wait till next year July and you'll be able to get the latest and greatest version of the iPhone. If you cannot wait then one should get the most advaced model available as new updates comeout you won't miss out on too many new features.
    10-15-2009 11:08 PM
    I'd say 3GS. IMO its not worth it to pay 99 for an iPhone now to save 100 dollars for next july. Might as well spend the extra hundo so your phone won't become obsolete as soon.
    10-15-2009 11:25 PM
    The thing I find weird is you are going to be spending about $100 a month on your phone bill, so what's an extra $100 one time payment to get the 16GB 3GS? If you stretch that out over the 24 months of the contract it's only like $4 more a month.
    10-16-2009 10:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD