Restoring as a New Phone and Contacts?

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I was experiencing some problems the other day and they were solved but I am wondering a couple things. If I set up as a new device, does iTunes hold my contacts? I do not have them on my computer anywhere and I only have them in my phone, no where else? So what happens to those. Do I just have to write all 600 of em down or something? Is there a program that can back them up?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Yes there is. On a Mac it is called contacts and you can sync them to that. On a pc not so sure but I do know that outlook has a contacts program on it

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I would recommend syncing your contacts and calendar to Google (as an Exchange account) so that you never have to worry about it.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Before you restore be sure that you sync your iPhone with iTunes and that you have "Contacts" or "AddressBook" checked to sync with, that is if you use a Mac. if you use a PC just sync with Outlook.

I would recommend syncing your contacts and calendar to Google (as an Exchange account) so that you never have to worry about it.

You can do as Alli suggested and it is easy and painless, BUT in light of the recent SideKick debacle I would back up locally on my computer as well as in the "cloud". (Google) That way you are double covered.:)

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Don't forget, the sidekick debacle was a Microsoft thing not a Google thing ;)

Very True! Just another reason to stay away from M$:p But seriously, I would still recommend always using a local backup as well as the "cloud" back up. I use MoMe and Google every day and love both, but accidents can happen to anyone at anytime.;)

What are the three "golden rules" of data back up?

Redundancy, Redundancy, Redundancy!!:cool:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Very True! Just another reason to stay away from M$:p But seriously, I would still recommend always using a local backup as well as the "cloud" back up. I use MoMe and Google every day and love both, but accidents can happen to anyone at anytime.;)

What are the three "golden rules" of data back up?

Redundancy, Redundancy, Redundancy!!:cool:

Exactly I never use offline copies only. I hate not having a hard copy of my stuff.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Heck...in addition to syncing with Google I sync Google to my Palm desktop using Companion Link. No reason to give up all the old ways!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Forgive me for asking a stupid question but what is the name of the Google service?? I don't use it so I don't know but I'm interested.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The contact that accompany Google (gmail) mail. You can set it up as an Exchange server to automagically sync with your iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73