Hi all. New to the iPhone and forum, and was wondering how durable the back shell is (I assume it is plastic?). Currently, I'm using a leather covered hard shell back case that I got from the AT&T store which protects the back of the phone and all, but kinda makes the phone feel really bulky now. Without the case on, the phone feels nice and slim, but no protection.

Regardless, I would just use it without the case, but have read stories about how the plastic cases developed cracks over time, so for now, I'm just keeping the case on.

Any of you run without any case or protector on your iPhones, and if so, how is it holding up over time?
    10-01-2009 03:55 PM
    I have never had an issue with mine. I treat it just as I treat all cellphones I have had in the past, rough enough.
    10-01-2009 05:39 PM
    I've had mine in an incase slider since day one. It still has no scratches. I bet it would hold up to daily abuse though. Somewhere between living in a messenger bag and hammering a nail.
    10-01-2009 05:59 PM
    I have never had an issue with mine. I treat it just as I treat all cellphones I have had in the past, rough enough.
    I usually never use a case or screen protector on any of my cell phones because I don't like the extra bulk or feel of the plastic/vinyl, but the iPhone for some reason feels fragile to me, and seems like it would break if dropped.
    10-01-2009 07:22 PM
    Check out the Incipio Feather case. It's a ultra thin shell that covers just the back and is soft touch. Protection, grip, and no bulk. Adds ~1mm to the back. I went through tons of cases before I found this, always put off by the bulk or something. The feather is exactly what I was looking for.

I would assume the iPhone's shell is plenty durable being plastic. But it will be scratched up pretty quick and more prone to slipping out of your hand.
    10-01-2009 08:39 PM
    Check out the Incipio Feather case. It's a ultra thin shell that covers just the back and is soft touch. Protection, grip, and no bulk. Adds ~1mm to the back. I went through tons of cases before I found this, always put off by the bulk or something. The feather is exactly what I was looking for.

I would assume the iPhone's shell is plenty durable being plastic. But it will be scratched up pretty quick and more prone to slipping out of your hand.
    I will double recommend! I'm currently using one of these in black, it's perfect. You don't even realize it's on, feels ultra light and slim, goes perfectly in your pocket but has decent enough grip to not slip from ur hand or lap. Provides adequate protection. I wouldn't drop it face down or try to scratch it face down or anything, but does a good job, that and the anti-glare screen protector, i'm good to go! Looks as if it's fresh from the box!
    10-02-2009 04:28 AM
    I didn't have a case on my 3g most of the time and aside from a few minor scratches(mostly on the chrome parts) it held up great. It's a solid phone for sure.
    10-02-2009 04:57 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion guys. I just took my Griffin leather slider case that I bought at the AT&T store back, and exchanged it for a smoke chrome finished case-mate case. It is so much thinner than the Griffin leather slider I had, and I just love how it looks! When I had the Griffin case on the phone, it seemed to offer a lot of protection for the phone, and was really durable, but it made the phone feel like a brick. The case-mate case feels like I don't even have a case on it.

I will still check out the Insidious Feather case, as it sounds like a really thin case that I might like. Thanks!

case-mate Chrome Barely There Case: (I didn't get the front mirror screen..just the back case)
    10-02-2009 01:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD