Okay so here's the deal. I have an iPhone 3g. My mom has an iPhone 3gs. Like any greedy eighteen y.o., I want the 3gs.

So here's what I want to know... How easy would it be for me to swap my phone for my moms? We're talking exact replica swap, or at least as close as possible. Can I do it? If so, how easily?

EDIT: I NEVER SAID I WAS STEALING IT! She just is hesitant to do a swap because she doesn't want it to be half-assed. The condition was: "If I can't tell that its not my phone, I'll be happy and you can have it."

And I actually bought her the phone BTW.

Now for the information that was asked for:
    Both phones are stock from AT&T and they are on the same account and everything.
    Last edited by irjoeyy; 09-30-2009 at 12:10 PM.
    09-30-2009 02:23 AM
    Well there are certain ways to go about this but a few things to note. 1) they must both be unlocked or they won't accept another sim even on the same carrier. I believe. If we can have someone confirm that. 2) you will need some time to restore and load from backup of the other device. 3) man. Don't screw with this if your mom has important work or other related stuff on the device. Now. The way I would go about it.

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE SURE. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT DOING THIS SORT OF THING. I DONT EVEN KNOW IF IT WILL WORK. DO NOT BLAME ME IF YOU SCREW SOMETHING UP.

Step 1
    make a backup of each phone on the computers they get synced on

Step 2
    remove sim

Step 3
    erase the phones

step 4
    insert sim into desired models

step 5
    restore each device from desired backup
    09-30-2009 03:01 AM
    Okay so here's the deal. I have an iPhone 3g. My mom has an iPhone 3gs. Like any greedy eighteen y.o., I want the 3gs.

So here's what I want to know... How easy would it be for me to swap my phone for my moms? We're talking exact replica swap, or at least as close as possible. Can I do it? If so, how easily?
    Dude, are you seriously asking us for advice on how to STEAL your Mom's phone? Seriously? Let me guess, your mom bought you your 3G too right?

Grow up.

someone please lock this thread.
    09-30-2009 03:57 AM
    Step 1: Leave your mom's phone alone.

Step 2: Get a job.

Step 3: Buy your own iPhone 3GS.
    09-30-2009 04:56 AM
    I think you NEED to "SERIOUSLY" search your SOUL. You are wanting to "STEAL" your mom's iPhone. I AGREE with lionheartednyhc...MOST likely your Mother BOUGHT YOUR iPhone for you and like "ALL" 3 year olds...His / Her's is better than mine..."I WANT HIS / HER'S...SPEND A little more time searching the truth and GIVING to OTHERS instead of TAKING. Be content with what you have...
    A MODERATOR NEEDS to LOCK this thread. IGoSlo
    09-30-2009 07:24 AM
    You guys are brutal cut the kid a break, do you know his mom personally?(I didn't mean it how it sounded ) My mom is not very fussy aboout electronic gadgets and she knows I am so I could see myself in this guy's shoes. If I had an older model of phone, xbox, whatever and my mom got a newer one whether she bought it, won it, upgraded I know she would A - offer it to me and take my lower model or B - not mind if I asked to swap. So unless you know the specifics of the situation don't judge, I think he asked a pretty standard question. She's not losing much functionality between a 3G and 3Gs, and like I said no one knows her so we don't know what she uses the phone for? is she a stay at home mom who only uses it as a phone? or is she a business woman who uses email, internet, etc? no one knows. Anyway I'll try to help the OP out with what little I know

Well there are certain ways to go about this but a few things to note. 1) they must both be unlocked or they won't accept another sim even on the same carrier. I believe. If we can have someone confirm that.
    That's incorrect as long as they are from the same carrier the SIM is interchangeable, atleast that is how it is here in Canada. So if I have a Fido phone and my GF does too I can take my SIM out and pop it in hers and it will become my phone with my number. I've done it many times I even have a spare cell.

OK that being said Original Poster(OP) you need to give us more info are you both with the same carrier? ie. AT&T, etc What kind of things do your mom use the phone for? email, contacts, calendars? if you are on the same carrier the steps that BuddhistGirafe outlined sound good. The only thing you need to find out on here or if someone will answer is will the 3G restore from a 3Gs backup and vice versa?
    09-30-2009 08:17 AM
    That's incorrect as long as they are from the same carrier the SIM is interchangeable, atleast that is how it is here in Canada. So if I have a Fido phone and my GF does too I can take my SIM out and pop it in hers and it will become my phone with my number. I've done it many times I even have a spare cell.
    It is the same in the States with AT&T. All you have to do swap the simm cards. Pufff!! It's done.

irjoeyy, just ask your mother if she minds swapping. Unless she uses it for business, I am sure she will not mind. (that's what Mother's do.) IMO the is little difference between the 3G and the 3GS, so fi you ask I am sure she will be fine with it.
    09-30-2009 08:29 AM
    I posted based on "HIS" post..."Here's the DEAL". I have an iPhone 3G... MY Mom has an iPhone 3GS...I want to Swap out MY 3G with "HER" 3GS... Without her KNOWING about it. HIS words NOT MINE..."like ALL 18 Y.O.'s I'm Greedy" and I want it... Where are the Morals, Character and the ABILITY to UNDERSTAND RIGHT from WRONG here ? It TRUELY AMAZES me how this Generation (YOUTH) and a few others "JUSTIFY" Self LOATHING, GREED, Personal and SELFISH GAIN... MOST of the time at the EXPENSE of others. Regardless of who the "OTHER" is. Family, Relatives, Friends. Those that "JUSTIFY" his position... Where's YOUR SHAME ? IGoSlo
    09-30-2009 08:55 AM
    I posted based on "HIS" post..."Here's the DEAL". I have an iPhone 3G... MY Mom has an iPhone 3GS...I want to Swap out MY 3G with "HER" 3GS... Without her KNOWING about it. HIS words NOT MINE..."like ALL 18 Y.O.'s I'm Greedy" and I want it... Where are the Morals, Character and the ABILITY to UNDERSTAND RIGHT from WRONG here ? It TRUELY AMAZES me how this Generation (YOUTH) and a few others "JUSTIFY" Self LOATHING, GREED, Personal and SELFISH GAIN... MOST of the time at the EXPENSE of others. Regardless of who the "OTHER" is. Family, Relatives, Friends. Those that "JUSTIFY" his position... Where's YOUR SHAME ? IGoSlo
    Sorry my apologies to everyone when I read the thread, I don't know if the original post had been edited, but it didn't contain "Without her KNOWING about it" in that case I retract my statements.
    09-30-2009 09:25 AM
    IGoSlo,
    Is he being "greedy"? YES!
    Is he acting like a "spoiled rotten two year old"? YES!
    Should he be "thankful" for what he has ? YES!

But to accuse him of doing something "illegal" or "unethical" per his OP? I just do not see it. Now he is getting close to that line and could easily cross it if he was not careful? Yes, but he is not there.....yet. As long as he ask his Mom's permission and she agrees, the "no harm, no foul". IMO

Now as far as acting like a "spoiled Rotten Teenager"? That is between he and his Mother.
    09-30-2009 09:40 AM
    Sorry my apologies to everyone when I read the thread, I don't know if the original post had been edited, but it didn't contain "Without her KNOWING about it" in that case I retract my statements.
    If he said this, then I retract my statements as well, but I have not seen that statement of his yet.
    09-30-2009 09:42 AM
    If he said this, then I retract my statements as well, but I have not seen that statement of his yet.
    Very true. I just edited my post to make it clear that I'm not trying to steal it. She said the trade was fine if I could make it flawless so she wouldn't have to spend time setting things up again.
    09-30-2009 12:12 PM
    I registered for this website to tell you you're going to hell for stealing from your mother but I guess all I can do is help now that you've explained this better. First of all if you dont understand any part of this just register for an appointment at your local Apple stores Genius Bar and they'll do this for you no charge.

But you can do it too in just 5 easy steps

Step 1: Backup both the 3G and 3GS

Step 2: Swap out both sim cards

Step 3: Put the 3G into recovery mode there are many links on the web if you dont know how

Step 4: Connect to iTunes and restore phone using previous backup from your moms 3GS

Step 5: Put 3GS into recovery mode but this time you're going to restore using your previous backup from the 3G

Step 6: Enjoy your new video camera
    09-30-2009 12:42 PM
    It just seems to me, If he bought the 3 gs for his Mom that was GREAT... It SOUNDS like when he got it home and compared it with what He had with his 3 g. The Greedy, spoiled kid apeared. AGAIN... HIS words... NOT MINE... I stand by my original conclusion and thoughts on this matter. Anything else is btween him and Mom. The whole thing SOUNDS fishy to me... IGoSlo HAGD/MGBY
    09-30-2009 01:36 PM
    You guys are brutal cut the kid a break, do you know his mom personally?(I didn't mean it how it sounded ) My mom is not very fussy aboout electronic gadgets and she knows I am so I could see myself in this guy's shoes. If I had an older model of phone, xbox, whatever and my mom got a newer one whether she bought it, won it, upgraded I know she would A - offer it to me and take my lower model or B - not mind if I asked to swap. So unless you know the specifics of the situation don't judge, I think he asked a pretty standard question. She's not losing much functionality between a 3G and 3Gs, and like I said no one knows her so we don't know what she uses the phone for? is she a stay at home mom who only uses it as a phone? or is she a business woman who uses email, internet, etc? no one knows. Anyway I'll try to help the OP out with what little I know

OK that being said Original Poster(OP) you need to give us more info are you both with the same carrier? ie. AT&T, etc What kind of things do your mom use the phone for? email, contacts, calendars? if you are on the same carrier the steps that BuddhistGirafe outlined sound good. The only thing you need to find out on here or if someone will answer is will the 3G restore from a 3Gs backup and vice versa?
    Ok, well this is where I was coming from. The iPhone is LOCKED into the individual account. Even in Canada. If you take a SIM from Rogers, that has say a blackberry plan or something on it, and you put it in the iPhone, it will say NO SIM or something of that nature. So, I was not sure if that would be the same, EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE BOTH iPHONE PLANS. And I am on Rogers, and you must use an unlock tool (yellowsnow/purplesnow) to PUT A DIFFERANT SIM IN THE PHONE.
    09-30-2009 01:57 PM
    Ok, well this is where I was coming from. The iPhone is LOCKED into the individual account. Even in Canada. If you take a SIM from Rogers, that has say a blackberry plan or something on it, and you put it in the iPhone, it will say NO SIM or something of that nature. So, I was not sure if that would be the same, EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE BOTH iPHONE PLANS. And I am on Rogers, and you must use an unlock tool (yellowsnow/purplesnow) to PUT A DIFFERANT SIM IN THE PHONE.
    I don't know much about the Blackberry thing maybe that changes things but

Rogers SIM(Rogers Phone) interchangable with (Rogers Phone2)
    Fido SIM(Fido Phone) interchangable with (Fido Phone 2)
    Fido SIM(Rogers Phone) will not work I've tried it. I've switched my SIM into my GF's 1st gen Iphone tons of times, I've got a spare Sony Erricson I use when I'm getting my Iphone updated. I've also put my SIM into LG Vu, LG Neon, Moto something or other when I was buying phones for my brother. They were all Fido phones and I had to make sure they worked.
    09-30-2009 04:36 PM
    u can swap out the sim cards and it will work fine.. does not have to be unlocked...
    i have put my sisters SIm card in my iphone.. she has a razor it will work

how do u think people get by having an iphone without a data plan... ???
    09-30-2009 04:55 PM
    It just seems to me, If he bought the 3 gs for his Mom that was GREAT... It SOUNDS like when he got it home and compared it with what He had with his 3 g. The Greedy, spoiled kid apeared. AGAIN... HIS words... NOT MINE... I stand by my original conclusion and thoughts on this matter. Anything else is btween him and Mom. The whole thing SOUNDS fishy to me... IGoSlo HAGD/MGBY
    Relax bro... I got it for her for her birthday because she really liked mine, but after a while I asked her if she wanted to switch cause she doesn't notice or care about the speed/extra space/etc and she said it was fine if I could pull it off without screwing everything up. I was just asking for advice... Sorry if I didn't word it to your liking....
    09-30-2009 05:43 PM
    do like they said backup both phones..swap sims.. call in to att provision the phones correctly... restore both of em.. there ya go
    09-30-2009 05:47 PM
    I registered for this website to tell you you're going to hell for stealing from your mother but I guess all I can do is help now that you've explained this better. First of all if you dont understand any part of this just register for an appointment at your local Apple stores Genius Bar and they'll do this for you no charge.

But you can do it too in just 5 easy steps

Step 1: Backup both the 3G and 3GS

Step 2: Swap out both sim cards

Step 3: Put the 3G into recovery mode there are many links on the web if you dont know how

Step 4: Connect to iTunes and restore phone using previous backup from your moms 3GS

Step 5: Put 3GS into recovery mode but this time you're going to restore using your previous backup from the 3G

Step 6: Enjoy your new video camera
    You don't need to put anything into recovery mode. Connect both and back up, then disable auto sync. Swap the SIMs then connect to iTunes. Restore the 3GS from the back up of your 3G. Repeat for the 3G. Boom, done. You shouldn't need to call AT&T or do anything, after restore they will reactivate with AT&T anyway.
    09-30-2009 05:50 PM
    it wont update ur imei in att's biller though...
    which should be done to make sure ur account is fully provisioned..
    lets say there is an update done in the future... for all 3gs..
    u wont get a sms that may be sent because u never fullly provisioned ur account
    09-30-2009 06:21 PM
    She, unless shes Tech, wont notice the real differneces, thats why the 3g is still available.

Go for it, one of the early posts had the proper way to do it (Backup, Sim remove, restore)

Awesome.
    11-26-2009 04:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD