Need Tethering help with T-Mobile

Franberry

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
I am hoping that perhaps some of you experts might be able to help me with my tethering question. I installed the Benm.at tethering profile on my 3G 3.0.1. The tethering option does appear correctly under Settings-->General-->Network-->Internet Tethering. I have the setting turned On, 3G mode turned Off and have restarted my phone but when I connect the phone to my Windows XP laptop.....absolutely nothing happens. It doesnt recognize the phone as a "network connection" like I thought it would. Am I missing something else that I am suppose to do to get it to recognize the phone as a modem device?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
As far as I know the point of using tethering is to use the phone's cellular data network on your computer. So if you turn off 3G then are you trying to use tethering with EDGE? try using it with 3G turned on.

Franberry

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I am trying to use it with EDGE but I will try turning on the 3G and see what happens. With T-Mobile, we are actually told by the customer service reps to turn 3G off because TMo operates on a different frequency than AT&T's 3G.

Franberry

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Well.......now I know why we're told to turn 3G off. Once I turned it On, I completely lost my signal and got "No Service" in the upper left hand corner. Had to pull the SIM out and put it back in to get the signal back.

iphone4idiots

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
I installed the mobile config file from benm.at and had no problems getting it working on my Mac. When I tried on my PC I saw "Apple Mobile Device" in my Network connections but it wouldn't connect.

The PC was XP as well. I've had some other people tell me they've has issues as well. Did you open iTunes one time and connect your iPhone to it. If not, try that first and if that doesn't work I would say try it on another computer or Mac if you have access to it and see what happens.

Franberry

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I will connect it to iTunes tonight when I get home and see if that helps....we're not allowed to have iTunes installed on our work PCs. And just to confirm....you loaded the Tmo profile and got it to work?

iphone4idiots

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
No actually it was ATT profile. My point is that if you are lucky it works like a charm first try, but quite a number of people are having issues.

Connect it to iTunes one time then reboot and see what happens. GL

Franberry

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this is progress but after connecting the phone to iTunes, my laptop recognized that a new "Apple Mobile Ethernet Device" had been found but it still never appeared as an option under Network Connections. Maybe I will have to try an alternate "older" method of tethering such as PDAnet or MiWi instead, since I cant seem to get this method to work.

iphone4idiots

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
I didn't get it working on my laptop either. I actually saw Apple Mobile Device as an option under Network Settings, but couldn't get it connect. I only tried for about 15 minutes though as it works no problem on my Mac.

Seems benm.at has a few bugs when it comes to PC.

Franberry

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Well, in case any other PC people cant get the benm.at method to work for them, I would definitely recommend MiWi (you can get it thru the RockApp in Cydia). I installed it and got it to work within minutes so I'm happy. :) It's only suppose to be a 10 day trial, then it costs $10 but it works and it's easy to use so it's worth $10 to me!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711