I'm thinking of getting an iphone 3gs. I have some questions. I'm not really sure how to ask it coz I'm really bad at asking questions that make sense ( see topic title for this topic lol, see what I mean) I'm still new to cellphone plans and what not. This will be my first cellphone that I will be paying for monthly if I do go ahead and get the iphone. I have a cellphone but I'm under my parent's family plan so I don't really pay for anything really.

I'm probably going to get the iphone within the next month. But at the same time I also plan on moving to another city with probably a different area code within the next year.

For example, lets say I live in San Diego and I get the iphone with a san diego area code for my cell number, but I plan on moving to San Francisco next year. My friend said if people in San Fransico tries calling me or vice-versa there will be long distance charges or what not because even though I live in SF, I am still using the SD area code. Like I said, I'm new to this stuff so I don't really know So if anyone can clarify or help me out, its much appreciated.
    09-20-2009 06:01 PM
    After you move, just call up AT&T and they'll give you a new number with the correct area code for where you move. If it's the first time you have had to change it, they'll do it at no charge, but after the first time i'm not sure.
    09-20-2009 06:09 PM
    I'm thinking of getting an iphone 3gs. I have some questions. I'm not really sure how to ask it coz I'm really bad at asking questions that make sense ( see topic title for this topic lol, see what I mean) I'm still new to cellphone plans and what not. This will be my first cellphone that I will be paying for monthly if I do go ahead and get the iphone. I have a cellphone but I'm under my parent's family plan so I don't really pay for anything really.

I'm probably going to get the iphone within the next month. But at the same time I also plan on moving to another city with probably a different area code within the next year.

For example, lets say I live in San Diego and I get the iphone with a san diego area code for my cell number, but I plan on moving to San Francisco next year. My friend said if people in San Fransico tries calling me or vice-versa there will be long distance charges or what not because even though I live in SF, I am still using the SD area code. Like I said, I'm new to this stuff so I don't really know So if anyone can clarify or help me out, its much appreciated.
    I did literally the exact same thing as you (SD-SF). As long as its cell to cell, its usually not a problem. Hell, almost everyone I know here has a out of area number.

SF rocks!
    09-20-2009 08:23 PM
    Like lionheartednyhc said, most cell plans (even pay-as-you-go ones) have unlimited long distance these days, so unless they're calling from a landline (which could also possibly have unlimited long distance) it won't be an extra charge for them. I say keep your number, why not!
    09-20-2009 10:43 PM
    Keep your number, the area code doesn't really matter for cell phones.
    09-20-2009 11:08 PM
    I agree. keep your number. mobile to mobile is free. my Son, who is on my plan, has a different area code than myself. it has not been a problem. the problem would arise out of having to inform everyone of his number change...that would be a huge hassle.
    09-21-2009 12:58 AM
    I have 4 phone's and an Air Card on my A T & T account. I opened the account in Illinois. 2 phone's, air card have Illinois Area Codes. 1 phone has an area code for Portland, Or. another has area code for Florida. I have never had a issue about this. A T & T does NOT force you to change area codes. It's not like your paying for long distance service. Your paying for your minutes used. IGoSlo
    09-21-2009 03:16 PM
    Just keep the code. A lot less hassle!
    09-22-2009 08:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD