3GS 16bg
    3G - On
    Bluetooth - Off
    Push - Off
    Fetch - Manual
    Location - Off
    Wifi - On at house
    Brightness - Auto and set at 40%

I talked about 1 hour, did some games, some internet browsing on 3G and Wifi, made a short movie and emailed it over 3G....which took a while.

My battery time okay or does it suck? I have calibrated it and have only had the phone a week but only charged it 3 times so far. I am going to start charging every night.

How much battery is used when the phone is off? When I went to bed last night at 4 am it was at 56. I woke up and checked this morning it was at 54% With wifi on it seems to drain a little faster, up on wake up it has gone from 100 to 96.
    09-18-2009 08:06 PM
    Seems about right. Definately charge every night unless you are planning to drain your battery. Turning 3g off will get you a little extra life, but if you're charging every night you shouldn't need it.
    09-18-2009 10:37 PM
    I couldn't imagine not charging it every night.
    09-18-2009 11:52 PM
    Funny, I just wrote a post about battery life with some tips that will go up on the front page soon. In the meantime check out this sticky thread: http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphon...tery-tips.html
    09-19-2009 12:07 AM
    Seems about right. Definately charge every night unless you are planning to drain your battery. Turning 3g off will get you a little extra life, but if you're charging every night you shouldn't need it.
    3G on most phones will not drain the battery that fast, unless you are in a area where the signal is weak and the phone drops to edge a lot. This causes the phone to search for the 3G network on a regular basis.

The Blackberry Bold had battery issues when it was first released and most of it was accountable to the radio having issues and searching for the 3G network all of the time, it seemed. It was solved with a software update.

According to the picture, it looks like there is a 30 some odd hour gap since the last full charge and the 3% showing. These phones are not made to go more than 24 hours before needing a full charge. Don't worry about the battery, they are lithium polymer. No memory on the battery so even small charges are okay. Drain it down to zero about once a month and let it recharge fully. Charging every night is usually recommended, as the iPhone isa rather power hungry device when it is on and being used.

Games alone can drain the battery with some speed, usually because of the graphics chip drawing more power than usual and the screen being on the whole time the game is being played. If the iPhone had a bigger battery like the Nintendo DS and the Sony PSP, the hit probably wouldn't be so drastic from games.
    09-19-2009 02:32 AM
    I charge mine every night and usually during the course of the day. I'm a heavy user.
    09-19-2009 11:35 AM
    I've always charged mine every night. I did speak with an Apple rep once regarding a dead battery. I could not connect my iPhone to iTunes to sync when the battery ran completely dead. This person mentioned that charging a battery part way will cause the battery to drain faster. A complete charge will hold up better, I guess.
    09-19-2009 04:45 PM
    I need some serious help with my battery!! JFSikora, I read your thread and have tried everything. I've restored my phone at least 3 times now and still no luck. This only started after I upgraded to the 3.1 OS, BIG MISTAKE!!, and now I can't get through the day without recharging. I took my phone off of the charger at 7:30 this morning, and only sent 2 or 3 short text but by noon it was at 56%. After lunch, I didn't even use my phone and around 4:30pm I was talking to my son on the phone when we were disconnected due to the battery being completely drained. What gives??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
    09-19-2009 07:28 PM
    Seems about right to me. I get about 3-4 hours of usage before mine is drained or at less than 20%, it always varies as to what I'm doing. If it's games, closer to 3, if it's text, e-mail, twitter, etc...more of course.

Looks like you have an ok battery.
    09-19-2009 11:16 PM
    I have been getting poor battery performance since 3.1. I erased all content and settings and I am gonna try to see if it was an issue with an app. I doubt it, but we'll see.
    09-21-2009 06:02 PM
    I agree, seems like that battery performance is pretty good. I almost always get about 4 hours of mixed use, whether it's 3G browsing, calls, emailing, iPod, etc., and sometimes a little less. I have pretty much everything (WiFi, Push, location services, etc.) turned off. Generally, I end up needing to charge once every day or every other day, depending on how many calls I make.

Remember, too, that Apple says you should get about 300 hours of standy time -- that means every 3 hours of standby time equals 1% of battery drop. In your case, your photo shows 39 hours of standy time, which means 39/3 = 13% of the battery drop is from standby time alone.

By the way, can someone tell me how to create a picture of my iPhone screen like the OP did?
    09-24-2009 12:51 PM
    Just hold down the home button, and hit the sleep button at the top of the phone. The screen will flash, and you will hear the "shutter" sound, and the screen shot will show up in your camera roll.
    09-25-2009 12:20 AM
    Thanks, Dawg.
    09-25-2009 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD