Newbie With Questions

maddie2009

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am new here so please go easy on me, as i am not that tech savy and have only had my phone for 3 months.
But i have a few issues with my iphone right now.

Okay, first off...
-Running 3.0,
-jailbroke & unlocked,
-but have only downloaded apps from apple onto it, so its pretty basic still.

Problems...
1...(BIGGEST PROB FOR ME RIGHT NOW)...while making a call the screen with keypad and speaker, etc... DISAPPEARS, and i can only get it back for a second and it disappear again. I can't even dial extension or get my voicemail, or HANGUP from it due to screen disappearing.
2...everything runs REALLY SLOW.

Does anyone know what might be going on??
Any help would be appreciated.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
to problem # 1, you are probably near the sensor that turns off the screen when the phone is near your face, like maybe you have your fingers covering it or something.

to problem # 2, maybe you shouldn't jailbreak your phone? I've heard that it can cause slowness, although granted usually this is due to running jailbroken apps.

maddie2009

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for replying.
As for the issue with the screen, it happens even on speakerphone and not even touching it, the screen blacks out and i can't get it to return long enough to do anything, just a flicker. Seems like a glitch somewhere.
I have heard the same thing about jailbreaking, and i thought that was only if you used the jailbroken apps(which i am not).
I only use the unlock feature, to swap out sims when we travel(we drive truck Canada & Usa).

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Sounds like you may have a dud. It should be under warranty, I'd take it to an Apple store to swap it out with a shiny different one.

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like a issue with the settings to me. Almost like the screen auto lock feature is set too low. When the jailbreak is applied, I can only think that some of the settings may get screwed up a little, as the apple defaults may not apply to everything. Either that or it unlocks areas that Apple never wanted consumers to mess around in.

A lot of people download a few apps when they jailbreak their phones, like Cydia (an app store) and a program called SBSettings (I believe that is what it is called). I have never jailbroken either of my iPhones, so I cannot say for sure what the installs are like, but they are usually two of the apps always mentioned.

Have you tried to ask AT&T or Rodgers (not sure which you are on) for an unlock code because of out of country travels. Sometimes they are okay about it and give them up. The iPhone requires a special kind of unlock from what I have read where a manager or someone higher gives an OK to unlock, the data is applied to the account and the next sync then factory unlocks the phone.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
There is one more possibility with problem #1. Do you have a case in your phone? Try taking it out of the case. As someone pointed out earlier it really sounds like the proximity sensor is activating. The sensor is located in the top left hand corner of the screen. I hope it is that simple!

#2? well that can be a number of things. Personally I would unjaibreak and run it legit for a while to see how it runs.

Then if neither of those work then you could possibly have a "dud" and should have it replaced. Good luck!