iPhone Spellcheck problems - Replacing "me" for "mr"

abishepherd

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed recently (since upgrading to 3.0) that the iphone spellcheck now seems to replace "me" with "mr". Which is pretty annoying when "me" is quite a frequently used word. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know if there is a way in the iphone settings that I can stop this from happening?:(

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
The dictionary words are directly related to what you have typed on the phone in the past. If you typed "mr" a lot in the past, or stopped the phone from correcting it, it will continue to do it.

It could also be an automatic correction because of the iPhones email functionality. I think it would be financial suicide if your phone always sent mail to a "Me John Smith."

Just remember to type "me" and tap the correction word that shows up before you space to the next word. That will cancel the correction and some time down the road (usually 5 times or so), it will stop correcting it.

Another way is to turn off auto correction in Settings->General->Keyboard: slide the switch to turn off auto-correction.

Muf

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
So, this has been happening to mr since I updated to 3. It has never self-fixed. Not only does it sound odd in a kinda innocuous way but I send some fairly cheeky texts, when appropriate, and on the off chance I am trying to be serious this could lead to this problem:
So, when do you want to come see mr?
I like it when you talk to mr that way.
Get my drift?

obee1

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
Mine doesn't auto correct me to mr. It did used to correct I'm to i'm, which annoyed me quite a bit. I ended up having to restore as a new phone for another reason and that solved it. Not the best way to solve the problem though, as you end up losing pics, contacts, and anything else that you haven't backed up.

dazweeja

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
For people coming to this thread from Google, the most common reason it does this is because you have a contact with the word 'mr' in the name. Compose a new text message, type 'mr' in the To: field and you will see which contact is causing this from the autocomplete. At this point you can either edit the contact, put up with the autocomplete issue or disable autocomplete entirely.

Muf

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Ok, sounds good. I took out Mr T from my contacts, went in to text and started a new chat. I wrote, " Me and me are me ". On the 3rd " me " it automistered. So, I shut the little fella down and tried again upon startup. The 1st " me " this time automistered. Blurg!

henrykuo

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Found out why "me" gets replaced by "mr"

K. I actually just figured this out. Just try repeating what I did.

I repeatedly typed the word "me" in a text message, and for no reason, every once in a while, it would display the replacement "mr". No discernable pattern whatsoever.

So it was then that I actually noticed that it was exactly in what position my finger pressed the "e" character. If it was a bit towards the right side of the "e" character, it would present the replacement "mr". But if I pressed the "e" dead on or slightly left, it would display a clean "me" with no replacement.

Give it a try and let me know if you get the same result. From now on, I'm just going to train my finger to aim slightly left to avoid the stupid "mr" replacement text.

Donniemarco

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
You Sir are a genius

A God amongst men.

I have been trying for months to work this out. I've repeatedly typed "me" trying to get the autocorrect to forget about "mr". I have searched for and deleted contacts beginning with Mr. All to no avail.

But I'll be damned; if I type to the left of the 'e' key it always stays as 'me'.

Thank you.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
The easiest fix is to have the ability to make a custom dictionary and have an option to add to dictionary if you type in something you don't want. Let me see your id (corrects to I'd) before you get to the hotspot. Silly I have not now pay attention to where I place a finger when typing. I type pretty fast.

thebiglebowski812

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Retarded

I googled this problem today, as the me to mr replacement on my iphone makes me crazy. What the F##*! would the iphone do this? How retarded does apple have to be? But, when I read the right vs left sided approach to typing me-- and the difference it makes. I realized, I am the retard. I still think the iPhone is a horrific device, thanks to AT&T, as you simply cannot mak a call without wanting to throw yourself off a bridge, BUT, the me vs mr can be fixed, by training your finger to approach from the right of left. Really. I think the folks at Apple need to take a rest. They should save the money on develping right vs left sided approach (which is magical) and give the money to AT&T to build more towers so that we can make calls without being dropped. Stop being retarded.

Reactions: suelay

tempo#IM

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Re-teaching iPhone not to autocorrect from "me" to "mr"

This has been driving me insane for about a year. Finally found this thread today and it inspired me to try this, which worked:

1) Start typing a text message to someone

2) Type "me" and reject the "mr" by clicking the little "x"

3) Repeat step 2 for approximately 20-25 times (I'm not kidding) until the phone finally "learns" and stops auto-correcting you.

Type fast and this will only take you about 30 seconds.

Turns out it takes far more than 5 times of overriding the iPhone's suggestions for it to learn... But eventually it does.

tempo#IM

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
This has been driving me insane for about a year. Finally found this thread today and it inspired me to try this, which worked:

3) Repeat step 2 for approximately 20-25 times (I'm not kidding) until the phone finally "learns" and stops auto-correcting you.

Turns out it takes far more than 5 times of overriding the iPhone's suggestions for it to learn... But eventually it does.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site

Not true. The word $hit still gets changed to shut every single time. It's been doing this for years.

suelay

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Automistered

Ok, sounds good. I took out Mr T from my contacts, went in to text and started a new chat. I wrote, " Me and me are me ". On the 3rd " me " it automistered. So, I shut the little fella down and tried again upon startup. The 1st " me " this time automistered. Blurg!

"Automistered"... Love it!

This automistering is doing my head in. I have trained the spell checker a hundred times. Why isn't it learning?

suelay

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I googled this problem today, as the me to mr replacement on my iphone makes me crazy. What the F##*! would the iphone do this? How retarded does apple have to be? But, when I read the right vs left sided approach to typing me-- and the difference it makes. I realized, I am the retard. I still think the iPhone is a horrific device, thanks to AT&T, as you simply cannot mak a call without wanting to throw yourself off a bridge, BUT, the me vs mr can be fixed, by training your finger to approach from the right of left. Really. I think the folks at Apple need to take a rest. They should save the money on develping right vs left sided approach (which is magical) and give the money to AT&T to build more towers so that we can make calls without being dropped. Stop being retarded.

Reading this has made all the difference! The iPhone is actually being cleverer than I gave it credit for. Aim for the left side of E when typing me and it gets it right every time. Genius!

duckts

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
in the name of science,

you rule. your powers of deduction know no limits. it is a bit embarassing an explanation but who cares, the mr problem is over.

K. I actually just figured this out. Just try repeating what I did.

I repeatedly typed the word "me" in a text message, and for no reason, every once in a while, it would display the replacement "mr". No discernable pattern whatsoever.

So it was then that I actually noticed that it was exactly in what position my finger pressed the "e" character. If it was a bit towards the right side of the "e" character, it would present the replacement "mr". But if I pressed the "e" dead on or slightly left, it would display a clean "me" with no replacement.

Give it a try and let me know if you get the same result. From now on, I'm just going to train my finger to aim slightly left to avoid the stupid "mr" replacement text.

duckts

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
true, that is really annoying..

S h i t is a regular word, shouldn't be censored by an external party.
OKAY, i will not use it in front of old ladies, or little kids, whenever I decide is not cool. Apple has no right to turkey slap me with it's idea of right and wrong.

Not true. The word $hit still gets changed to shut every single time. It's been doing this for years.

alex paige

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
mr to me

I tried the typing a little to the left and it worked like a charm. To those of those who hate their iphones: why keep it? I love mine and I have had a few problems and I agree that AT&T kinda sucks but it's the best phone I've ever had aside from that! If I have to alter the way I type so be it because it works. Glad I found this thread because I do have to say it was driving me crazy!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner