I have been messing around with this all day and finally got it to work on a iPhone 3GS running 3.1 running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and USB HDD is running Leopard 10.5.8 and I am in the USA and with AT&T.

I take no responsibility if you mess up your phone. This is for informational purpose only. Make sure your plan supports MMS.

I find the easiest way is to have OSX running on a USB Hard Drive.

1. Download MMS Files (itunes_8.2_prerelease_for_mac_os_x.dmg and ATT_US.ipcc) I have uploaded the two files in a .zip to rapid share.
      rapidshare.com/files/278847770/MMS_files_for_3.1.zip.html

2. Use AppZapp (get 5 free uses on the demo) and uninstall iTunes from the app directory

3. Install itunes_8.2_prerelease_for_mac_os_x.dmg (My USB HDD is running Leopard 10.5.8 not sure if it will matter)

4. Use 3.1 firmware Restore your iPhone (NOT UPDATE)

5. Once completed click Update while holding the the OPTION key. Select file ATT_US.ipcc

6. Sync the phone

7. Reset Network Settings (Setting-General-Reset)

8. Restart your Mac with the original HDD (Not the USB HDD) and re-sync your Itunes. You're done and enjoy your MMS.
    Last edited by wsaund; 09-11-2009 at 09:41 PM.
    09-11-2009 09:37 PM
    Or you can follow these directions here as they seem much easier than what you describe. I have not had a chance to try this method so I'm not sure how well it works.
    09-11-2009 09:45 PM
    i followed the one JFS linked to and it works
    09-12-2009 12:52 AM
    The JFS link works. Sadly, my test MMS hangs on me. I can wait. I don't need it right now...or at all.
    09-12-2009 01:16 PM
    Hey JF I keep getting this when I type enter into the command prompt after pasting the command:
    "is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"
    any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
    09-12-2009 03:39 PM
    Or you can follow these directions here as they seem much easier than what you describe. I have not had a chance to try this method so I'm not sure how well it works.
    ok I entered it in terminal now how do I run it? by pressing enter?
    09-12-2009 04:05 PM
    This enabled MMS for me, but, like Synco, it hangs on me. I, also, can wait. no hurry. I am looking forward to finally being able to do MMS like EVERY other phone on the freakin planet, though. LOL
    09-12-2009 04:19 PM
    ive been playing with mine all day. ive got mine working on a Iphone 3G 3.0 firmware. BUt my visual voicemail isnt working. Mine is jailbroke and hacked for tether. MMS is working though and I got it to work by putting my sim in a old flip phone I had. I called ATT and said I was no longer using the iphone. Everything changed then I switched the SIM back. IT WORKS
    09-12-2009 06:25 PM
    Hot dog! I got my MMS working now. I just had to enter a few settings, then reboot. I'm able to send a receive MMS now.

If you want those settings, email me at

Syncopations @ gmail . com(remove the spaces).

Syncopations
    09-12-2009 07:03 PM
    ive been playing with mine all day. ive got mine working on a Iphone 3G 3.0 firmware. BUt my visual voicemail isnt working. Mine is jailbroke and hacked for tether. MMS is working though and I got it to work by putting my sim in a old flip phone I had. I called ATT and said I was no longer using the iphone. Everything changed then I switched the SIM back. IT WORKS
    By telling AT&T that you are not using the iPhone anymore, they probably switched you to a non-iPhone data plan, which means no visual voicemail. You probably are on a MediaNet plan.
    09-13-2009 01:39 AM
    Almost 24 hours after my method and settings, my MMS, tethering, and Visual Voicemail are working 100%.

For the tethering, I used the Benm hack on 3.0.1. When I upgraded to 3.1, it was still there and still functional.

For MMS, follow the link provided by JFSikora and follow the instructions there. and email me for the settings.

Syncopations @ gmail . com

Syncopations.
    09-13-2009 12:09 PM
    I need some help with using Terminal. I have a mac.
    09-13-2009 02:21 PM
    Can the steps be done for windows vista? Anyone know? 3Gs Non jailbroke and dont want to use jailbreak or unlock.
    09-13-2009 05:41 PM
    Can the steps be done for windows vista? Anyone know? 3Gs Non jailbroke and dont want to use jailbreak or unlock.
    Give it a shot.
    09-13-2009 06:50 PM
    By telling AT&T that you are not using the iPhone anymore, they probably switched you to a non-iPhone data plan, which means no visual voicemail. You probably are on a MediaNet plan.
    yes thats exactly what has happened. I'll probably call and switch back on the 25th after the MMS is out. My screen is cracked so I should be getting another 3G soon. 16G though..
    09-13-2009 10:27 PM
    So I did the one JFSikora suggested and it works perfectly....but I have one question. I am not jailbroken or unlocked or anything, just a normal iPhone plan....will getting this MMS "early" have any negatives effects, i.e. increased billing or a red flag to AT&T? Thanks.
    09-13-2009 11:33 PM
    wont work on wifi for me tho??????? 3G is fast
    09-14-2009 04:22 PM
    I don't think this is an "early activation" for MMS. I believe September 25 is the deadline AT&T has to get everyone up and running. It would be really stupid for AT&T to enable MMS for everyone at the same time. We can all agree that their network is crappy because of all of the iPhones out there. Enabling MMS at for everyone at the same time could cause traffic problems because everyone is trying MMS. They probably "rolled out" MMS for people throughout the month and is close to finishing. I was able to use MMS as of 3 days ago. Some people can, some people can't. They are slowly releasing it to ease tension on the network.
    09-14-2009 04:41 PM
    Anybody from the Grand Rapids, MI area and having MMS work for them? If you are please email me at spidermanroach@gmail.com
    Last edited by spidermanroach; 09-14-2009 at 08:15 PM.
    09-14-2009 07:26 PM
    Anybody from the Grand Rapids, MI area and having MMS work for them? If you are please email me at spidermanroach@gmail.com
    No such luck.
    09-14-2009 11:24 PM
    For the computer slow out there (like myself; it took me about an hour to figure this out! :o ): change the downloaded zip file into an .ipcc file by renaming it (delete .zip and add .ipcc). Also, where it says setPref the next letter is a capital "I", not a lowercase "l"!

All that said, I am among those who will have to wait awhile for this to actually work; I get the dreaded little red "!" even though I have full bars. Oh well, it was too good to be true!
    Last edited by Microcosmos; 09-15-2009 at 12:28 AM.
    09-15-2009 12:19 AM
    For the computer slow out there (like myself; it took me about an hour to figure this out! :o ): change the downloaded zip file into an .ipcc file by renaming it (delete .zip and add .ipcc). Also, where it says setPref the next letter is a capital "I", not a lowercase "l"!

All that said, I am among those who will have to wait awhile for this to actually work; I get the dreaded little red "!" even though I have full bars. Oh well, it was too good to be true!
    ??? It is a ZIP file and contains the DMG for Itunes and the Ipcc. You are change a vaild zip file in to another format. Hence why you are having problems. Extract the two files in the .ZIP and use the file ATT_US.ipcc
    09-15-2009 06:05 AM
    I got it all loaded up all easy but gets hung up on the sending , will reboot and try later .
    09-15-2009 08:55 AM
    Mine just started working today on my 3G.... w00t!

Sending and receiving just fine. Ottawa, IL.... about 1 hour 45 min. SW of Chicago.
    09-15-2009 07:14 PM
    Um, I'm on a MediaNet and non-iPhone data plan and I never told them I switched from my iPhone. The iPhone 3G still shows on my plan and monthly statement. I was completely honest with them back in March/April and have had MMS working since. And doing thus does NOT disable Visual Voicemail. Who told you that?
    09-15-2009 07:26 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD