Get MMS with a NON-jailbroken iPhone w/3.1

wsaund#IM

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
I have been messing around with this all day and finally got it to work on a iPhone 3GS running 3.1 running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and USB HDD is running Leopard 10.5.8 and I am in the USA and with AT&T.

I take no responsibility if you mess up your phone. This is for informational purpose only. Make sure your plan supports MMS.

I find the easiest way is to have OSX running on a USB Hard Drive.

1. Download MMS Files (itunes_8.2_prerelease_for_mac_os_x.dmg and ATT_US.ipcc) I have uploaded the two files in a .zip to rapid share.
    rapidshare.com/files/278847770/MMS_files_for_3.1.zip.html

2. Use AppZapp (get 5 free uses on the demo) and uninstall iTunes from the app directory

3. Install itunes_8.2_prerelease_for_mac_os_x.dmg (My USB HDD is running Leopard 10.5.8 not sure if it will matter)

4. Use 3.1 firmware Restore your iPhone (NOT UPDATE)

5. Once completed click Update while holding the the OPTION key. Select file ATT_US.ipcc

6. Sync the phone

7. Reset Network Settings (Setting-General-Reset)

8. Restart your Mac with the original HDD (Not the USB HDD) and re-sync your Itunes. You're done and enjoy your MMS.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Or you can follow these directions here as they seem much easier than what you describe. I have not had a chance to try this method so I'm not sure how well it works.

solius

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Hey JF I keep getting this when I type enter into the command prompt after pasting the command:
"is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"
any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

d-rob70

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
This enabled MMS for me, but, like Synco, it hangs on me. I, also, can wait. no hurry. I am looking forward to finally being able to do MMS like EVERY other phone on the freakin planet, though. LOL

bullitt3246

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
ive been playing with mine all day. ive got mine working on a Iphone 3G 3.0 firmware. BUt my visual voicemail isnt working. Mine is jailbroke and hacked for tether. MMS is working though and I got it to work by putting my sim in a old flip phone I had. I called ATT and said I was no longer using the iphone. Everything changed then I switched the SIM back. IT WORKS

Syncopations

Jun 8, 2009
www.authenticragtime.com
Hot dog! I got my MMS working now. I just had to enter a few settings, then reboot. I'm able to send a receive MMS now.

If you want those settings, email me at

Syncopations @ gmail . com(remove the spaces).

Syncopations

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
ive been playing with mine all day. ive got mine working on a Iphone 3G 3.0 firmware. BUt my visual voicemail isnt working. Mine is jailbroke and hacked for tether. MMS is working though and I got it to work by putting my sim in a old flip phone I had. I called ATT and said I was no longer using the iphone. Everything changed then I switched the SIM back. IT WORKS

By telling AT&T that you are not using the iPhone anymore, they probably switched you to a non-iPhone data plan, which means no visual voicemail. You probably are on a MediaNet plan.

Syncopations

Jun 8, 2009
www.authenticragtime.com
Almost 24 hours after my method and settings, my MMS, tethering, and Visual Voicemail are working 100%.

For the tethering, I used the Benm hack on 3.0.1. When I upgraded to 3.1, it was still there and still functional.

For MMS, follow the link provided by JFSikora and follow the instructions there. and email me for the settings.

Syncopations @ gmail . com

Syncopations.

Ree

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Can the steps be done for windows vista? Anyone know? 3Gs Non jailbroke and dont want to use jailbreak or unlock.

bullitt3246

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
By telling AT&T that you are not using the iPhone anymore, they probably switched you to a non-iPhone data plan, which means no visual voicemail. You probably are on a MediaNet plan.

yes thats exactly what has happened. I'll probably call and switch back on the 25th after the MMS is out. My screen is cracked so I should be getting another 3G soon. 16G though..

cdudek

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
So I did the one JFSikora suggested and it works perfectly....but I have one question. I am not jailbroken or unlocked or anything, just a normal iPhone plan....will getting this MMS "early" have any negatives effects, i.e. increased billing or a red flag to AT&T? Thanks.

Syncopations

Jun 8, 2009
www.authenticragtime.com
I don't think this is an "early activation" for MMS. I believe September 25 is the deadline AT&T has to get everyone up and running. It would be really stupid for AT&T to enable MMS for everyone at the same time. We can all agree that their network is crappy because of all of the iPhones out there. Enabling MMS at for everyone at the same time could cause traffic problems because everyone is trying MMS. They probably "rolled out" MMS for people throughout the month and is close to finishing. I was able to use MMS as of 3 days ago. Some people can, some people can't. They are slowly releasing it to ease tension on the network.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen