Pandora Miracle?

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
Every morning I commute about 15 minutes to college. Between my house and the college is a well known dead zone with no service at all. Last year I stopped using pandora for my morning drive since I knew it would cut out. However all this week I have been using pandora and it has continued to play, even while there has been no service! I have physically looked at the "no service" while pandora played. Anyone know how this is happening?

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
There definetely were no hot spots, the dead spot is all farm land. I figured pandora must save a little bit ahead but had no idea it could do so for so long. Anyone know how much pandora saves to be ready for a dead zone or things of that nature?

mdude85

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Not sure on the exact amount that Pandora caches but it is a pretty significant amount -- probably the entire current song can be cached. Obviously t it won't cache the next song since it has to ping the network for each new song.

I do believe that Pandora streams to the iPhone at 64kbps, which would be 8 kB/sec or roughly 1920 kB for a 4 minute song. If you assume 3G speeds of 25 kB/sec then Pandora can stream an entire 4 minute song in less than 90 seconds.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2