Hello Community,

I have a question,and would like an Honest answer.Does a jailbroke iphone work,Seriously I have jailbroken 2 iphones in the last week( different models,1 was 3GS) the first phone had no sound whatsoever,,and froze up constantly,,and yes every forum on the web says

restore
    plug headphones in real quickly
    reset all settings

All supposed solutions didnt work

The 2nd phone jailbroke properly flies compared to last phone,although now phone functions have no sound,unless in speakerphone mode,and camera shutter will not open

restore
    try snapture from cydia to see if that works,etc
    possible water damage,,well i havent been swimming with my iphone,,so highly doubt sensor has been tripped

None of these solutions worked,,You look around various forums,,and when you do a search,,the threads come up all over the web,,but nobody has definitive solution.

I understand the risk in jailbreaking/unlocking. Im just asking has anyone ever did the redsnOw 0.8 and have it work properly with ver 3.0 or 3.0.1
    09-10-2009 07:01 PM
    I'm quite confused as what you are trying to do. Does the phone have water damage or not?

And yes, several people have jailbroken and unlocked phones working quite normally on 3.0 and 3.0.1

You use redsn0w 0.8 for the jailbreak, then you have to add the ultrasn0w repository in order to unlock it.
    09-10-2009 07:26 PM
    Don't understand very well you can add me at buddyclub94@hotmail.com ,I can help you
    09-10-2009 10:11 PM
    imuggle,

thanks,,No there is NO water damage,,I was just told that water sensor causes camera issue,,so I just brought it up as something that other forums are saying to check. The phone is version 3.0,,and used redsnOw 0.8,,then ultra for the unlock. repo.666 something,,dont have the address in front of me. My main question is Why wont camera shutter open,,and phone speaker icon has to be pushed in order to hear through the earpiece or reciever.

Can i update through itunes to 3.0.1,,then repeat the jailbreak/unlock,,my phone right now is 3.0 7A341
    09-10-2009 10:56 PM
    imuggle,

thanks,,No there is NO water damage,,I was just told that water sensor causes camera issue,,so I just brought it up as something that other forums are saying to check. The phone is version 3.0,,and used redsnOw 0.8,,then ultra for the unlock. repo.666 something,,dont have the address in front of me. My main question is Why wont camera shutter open,,and phone speaker icon has to be pushed in order to hear through the earpiece or reciever.

Can i update through itunes to 3.0.1,,then repeat the jailbreak/unlock,,my phone right now is 3.0 7A341
    Well iTunes is going to update you to 3.1 so you'd have to find the 3.0.1 ipsw and manually tell iTunes to install that version, not 3.1

Sounds to me like you have a defective phone though. Did it do any of this prior to any hacking or jailbreaking?
    09-10-2009 11:51 PM
    Yeah like others have said JB works fine. I have a 3.0 that has been JB for months and months with no problems whatsoever. I mean nothing that I wouldn't expect from a JB phone like a few apps hanging once in a blue moon. Also have a 1st gen 2G that was JB and unlocked with Redsn0w two weeks ago and all functions work perfectly. You may want to wait for the 3.1 JB although witha 3Gs it seems it will be really hard to JB and Unlock as far as I've read.
    09-11-2009 12:07 AM
    How to you position your applications randomly without them snapping on?
    Is it a jailbreak app?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking...can you rephrase it a bit? Snapping on?
    09-11-2009 12:12 AM
    Yeah like others have said JB works fine. I have a 3.0 that has been JB for months and months with no problems whatsoever. I mean nothing that I wouldn't expect from a JB phone like a few apps hanging once in a blue moon. Also have a 1st gen 2G that was JB and unlocked with Redsn0w two weeks ago and all functions work perfectly. You may want to wait for the 3.1 JB although witha 3Gs it seems it will be really hard to JB and Unlock as far as I've read.

I don't think the 3G S is any harder. At first, you couldn't, but with 3.0.1, it was just as easy, just a matter of finding a different firmware version, which seemed to be a little more challenging to find floating around. I found it on a torrent site.

Besides that, I didn't have any issues. I did, however, upgrade to 3.1. I only used jailbreak to customize and SSH to make my own themes and what-not. It gave me something to do, but it's definitely something I can live without, at least until the dev team jailbreaks 3.1
    09-11-2009 12:14 AM
    Imuggle

Well iTunes is going to update you to 3.1 so you'd have to find the 3.0.1 ipsw and manually tell iTunes to install that version, not 3.1.

im confused by you saying that itunes will update me to 3.1,,i have phone on itunes now,,and it says

new version 3.0.1 is available for my iphone,,would i like to install,,either update button for 3.0.1 or backup to earlier phone

i thought if you updated to 3.0.1 your supposed to use the 3.0 firmware to jailbreak,,im lost with that 3.1 stuff,,im still using itunes 8.2
    09-11-2009 12:25 AM
    with 3.0.1 update at itunes,,this is the file i need,,CORRECT

iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore this is what i use to jailbreak version 3.0 or 3.0.1 right?

above in another thread it said that if you have 3G 3.0 or 3.0.1 you are to use this firmware file,thats why im confused with the 3.1 which is for the 3GS ,and itunes 9.0,,but im still using 8.2,,and it says i can update to 3.0.1 version

sorry,,im just trying to start over with this jailbreak/unlock,,and hopefully these issues are cleared up,,the phone worked for the first 7 months,,its almost 2 yrs old
    09-11-2009 12:37 AM
    I read a couple minutes ago,about a person accidentally upgrading to 3.1 in itunes,,and how it screwed up his phone,,and baseband,,but when i hook up my iphone 3g to itunes 8.2,,the only update showing is 3.0.1. how did said person accidentally update to 3.1,,Is my itunes not updating properly?

Thanks Imuggle,,I understand your reply earlier,,but like i said,,my current itunes says update to 3.0.1 only NOT 3.1
    09-11-2009 01:50 AM
    3.1 isn't for the 3g s alone it's for all versions

either your iTunes is not updating properly or after you install 3.0.1 it
    will then ask you to install 3.1.

As far as the file, that firmware is for an iPhone 3g so if that is what you have it is correct.

iPhone 1st gen = 1,1
    iPhone 3g = 1,2
    iPhone 3gs = 2,1
    09-11-2009 10:49 AM
    Imuggle

thanks,,but at this point im just trying to isolate whether the problem is hardware related or jailbreaking issue,,,whats the best way to restore,,,and doesnt restoring a unlocked phone damage it. i guess i just want to start over with my phone,,and see if i can get the phone working,,if it works after restore,,then i know its a jailbreaking problem,,but im confused on the restore process

do i hook to itunes,,then hold shift/restore/firmware 1.2_3.0 restore.ispw,,i just want to get the phone back to new condition to figure out if its hardware or jailbreak

thanks
    09-11-2009 11:39 AM
    Imuggle

thanks,,but at this point im just trying to isolate whether the problem is hardware related or jailbreaking issue,,,whats the best way to restore,,,and doesnt restoring a unlocked phone damage it. i guess i just want to start over with my phone,,and see if i can get the phone working,,if it works after restore,,then i know its a jailbreaking problem,,but im confused on the restore process

do i hook to itunes,,then hold shift/restore/firmware 1.2_3.0 restore.ispw,,i just want to get the phone back to new condition to figure out if its hardware or jailbreak

thanks
    Restoring will not damage an unlocked phone, it will just wipe it clean and erase the unlock.

Now if you upgrade to 3.1 and then tried to roll back, that would create issues. The easiest way is to restore with the 3.0 or 3.0.1 ipsw by manually doing it through iTunes like you said, shift click and navigate to the IPSW. As long as you did not upgrade to 3.1, you shouldn't have an issue.
    09-11-2009 12:27 PM
    im looking at phone now,,settings/general/about i have version 3.0 7A341. Do i hook to itunes,,then hold shift,, then click restore,,then click on the 3.0 ispw located in my pwnage folder,,and go from there. Im still confused as to why am i restoring back to 3.0,,thats already on my phone,,and im having all these problems. Everyone says to restore to new iphone,,and see if the problems continue to verify whether its hardware related or a faulty jailbreak

I guess i want to start from scratch,,but how do i virginize so to speak,,to see if these problems go away. also do i need to take sim card out before i do the restore

thanks I muggle
    09-11-2009 01:10 PM
    Imuggle,

Do any repair shops out there fix iphones if they are out of warranty,,or am I out the 300.00 i paid. there cant be anything too major wrong with the phone,,everything else works great on the phone
    09-11-2009 01:12 PM
    Imuggle,

Do any repair shops out there fix iphones if they are out of warranty,,or am I out the 300.00 i paid. there cant be anything too major wrong with the phone,,everything else works great on the phone
    There certainly are places that will repair or fix it. Are you still within the time frame to buy apple care for it? If so, that would be your best option. If you can at least restore it so they don't see a jb.

Anytime I've had an issue, I just fix it myself or order parts, but as this isn't really a hardware issue, I don't really know what to tell you to do. You're in kind of a tight situation. Did a complete restore fix the issue or have you not done that as of yet?
    09-11-2009 01:24 PM
    Im still confused as to why am i restoring back to 3.0,,thats already on my phone,,and im having all these problems.
    I probably can't help as much as IMuggle but isn't the 3.0 on your phone currently JB and giving you problems? you would restore back to 3.0 because the restore would wipe out your JB and unlock and restore the phone to factory settings.
    09-11-2009 01:39 PM
    Thx guys and gals for the help,

I bought the phone on craigslist,,so i didnt know the status of phone when i bought it,,and thats my fault,,im just trying to salvage it,,because if i could get the phone part working,,everything else i use works great,,text,itunes,apps,etc. What i dont know is what were the phones factory settings,,the phone looks good,,but not knowing exactly how old it is,,I didnt know if maybe the older 2.x versions were the original settings.As long as i can experiment on the phone without bricking it(i think thats what they call it) im willing to do that. Just wanted to make sure with people that knew what to do,,Im a noob

Do i take out my t mobile sim when i do that shift restore task

Thanks I really appreciate it
    Last edited by bldblu; 09-11-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: misspelling
    09-11-2009 01:49 PM
    I think ive been so blind with everybodys help. I think i got it now,,The version 3.0 IS not the jailbreaking program,,its the phone software. I was thinking that 3.0,3.0.1,and 3.1 were the different jailbreaking programs,,now i think i understand,if restoring to 3.0,,i just need to tell redsnOw what version to jailbreak.

Alright my last question,,I promise Do i restore to 3.0 3.0.1 or 3.1,,I have all 3 firmware files in my desktop?
    09-11-2009 01:54 PM
    I think ive been so blind with everybodys help. I think i got it now,,The version 3.0 IS not the jailbreaking program,,its the phone software. I was thinking that 3.0,3.0.1,and 3.1 were the different jailbreaking programs,,now i think i understand,if restoring to 3.0,,i just need to tell redsnOw what version to jailbreak.

Alright my last question,,I promise Do i restore to 3.0 3.0.1 or 3.1,,I have all 3 firmware files in my desktop?
    if you plan on jailbreaking again, use either 3.0.1 or 3.0, what you do is restore through iTunes to 3.0.1, then when you use redsn0w 0.8, when it asks you what firmware, point it to 3.0

Voila, done!
    09-11-2009 05:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD