Keyboard clicks quieter after 3.1?

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
@imuggie
yah ur right iam not happy they should have left it the way it was for the people that didn't like the tick all they had to do was turn it off. Now mine is on and I have 2 put my ear on it to hear it. So yah iam not happy I should have the choice of what I do with sound on my phone which I paid $300 for

And then there's some of us like me, who want a loud ringer but have to turn it down because the keyboard clicks are so damn annoying, but still want the clicks to have some kind of feedback. You want loud clicks, but why should those of us who like the softer ones have to compromise either? It's a classic case of no one is completely happy. If Apple gave "choice" for every little thing, the settings section would be so ungodly crammed and complicated.

If you have to put it to your ear to hear it, no offense, you should probably get your ears checked.

Last edited:

Tone1981

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Imuggle
there is no way u r tellin me u can hear the clicks when u r doin normal stuff like hang with ur friends or just watching tv ect. Or maybe u just tell everyone to shut up so u can hear the clicks Anyways hope they fix this soon.

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
Here's something that may compound the issue. Has anyone noticed the entire phone has gotten quieter?

I have a 3GS updated to 3.1, and the volume is at full on the ringer as well as system volume. I went to iTunes on the phone and was browsing for some music. When I tried to play samples of some music, same thing, I literally had to hold the phone up to my ear to hear it.

I have also been missing some phone calls when the phone is in my pocket, as I can barely hear the ringer. Granted, it is usually a bit noisy outside, but I can barely feel the vibration alert, too.

I can only guess it is because of 3.1, as the sound appeared to be noticably louder on 3.0.1 and 3.0.

spiderman001728

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Not only is the keyboard clicks lower, but every system sound is lower. I use voice dial everyday with my headphones on. The voice is so low I can barely hear the lady talking. This bug is really pissing me off.
Thanks for listening. :)

Tone1981

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
As far as the rest of my sounds they seem to B working fine ringer vol, etc.I hope that they take the time to fixs this problem soon

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I woke up this morning and found that I couldn't hear any clicks!!! Then after plugging the phone into my computer the clicks came back! Even before I did a sync????

Then I disconnected from the computer and the click dissapeared again! So I went and got my head phones and plugged them in and out and the the clicks have returned!

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The people who have all system sounds low try two things, reboot your phone if you haven't since you upgraded. Also try switching your sound for say Text from Bell to glass to whatever and while it is playing the sample turn your ringer down all the way then when you're done turn it up all the way. I don't know why but this is what I did today and it worked. I'm on 3.0 but the ringer on my phone, and the audio when I'm talking on the phone has always been a bit lower than I would like even though it was at max. So then my GF called me and Damn it was so loud I had to turn the audio down :O I could hear all the sounds around her while she was talking.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
And then there's some of us like me, who want a loud ringer but have to turn it down because the keyboard clicks are so damn annoying, but still want the clicks to have some kind of feedback. You want loud clicks, but why should those of us who like the softer ones have to compromise either? It's a classic case of no one is completely happy. If Apple gave "choice" for every little thing, the settings section would be so ungodly crammed and complicated.

Like you I would love the lower ticks and all the system sounds the same. I understand exactly what you're talking about with the settings being cluttered to hell if every option was there. However the sound of the keyboard clicks I think would be a necessary option they could have put in.

Madness#IM

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed my click volume go in and out. Once I first noticed I was sure to make sure it wasn't me covering up the speaker. It may be related to a specific application that I use regularly though.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed my click volume go in and out. Once I first noticed I was sure to make sure it wasn't me covering up the speaker. It may be related to a specific application that I use regularly though.

If you're typing as the text sent sound goes through or as another notification goes through, sometimes it can cause the clicks to be distorted a bit.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Imuggle
there is no way u r tellin me u can hear the clicks when u r doin normal stuff like hang with ur friends or just watching tv ect. Or maybe u just tell everyone to shut up so u can hear the clicks Anyways hope they fix this soon.

Actually, yes..I can.

Now can I hear them in a crowded bar, with a band playing? No. That's ridiculous, and you couldn't hear them ever in that type of situation, quiet, loud, or whatever.

In a situation with a group of friends or out to eat, or watching tv, yes I can definitely hear them just fine.

iMagnify

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
yay for clicks!!
I just created my own App. and it is scheduled to be released on September 25th! I just uploaded a demo video onto YouTube. if you have a chance to check it out you really should. Just search "iMagnify"
I always appreciate the feedback, thanks!

CafeSilver

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Some people like the quieter clicks, I am not one of those people. It started to really get on my nerves. If I want quieter clicks, I can just turn the volume down. They should have left things alone, but since they didn't I had to figure out how to get it back to the way I like it. Here's what I did. You must have a jailbroken iPhone in order for this to work... obviously.

1) SSH into the iPhone and then go to System/Library/Audio/UISounds
2) Grab the file "Tock.caf" and put it on your computer
3) Using Audacity (free) open the file and then using the Effects, amplify the sound to about twice what the original file is
4) Save the file as a .wav
5) Download ToneFXsCreator (also free) onto your computer and download ToneFXs via Cydia onto your iPhone
6) Connect iPhone to computer via USB cable
7) Open ToneFXsCreator and find the new .wav file and open it
8) Make sure "fade in" and "fade out" are unchecked before you send the tone to your iPhone
9) Send the tone to your iphone
10) Open ToneFXs on your iPhone and find in the list where it says "Keyboard Click" and select it. It should give you a list of sounds to choose from. Select the file you sent to the phone and it will give you a preview
11) Go back to the main screen of ToneFXs and then save. The phone will respring and you'll have your wonderful loud clicks back. If you want them quieter for any reason just turn the ringer down

When you select the file in ToneFXs is will give you a preview. The preview may seem WAY too loud and that loudness will make the click noise sound horrible. Don't get scared off now, you're so close. I'm not quite sure what Apple did to make the clicking quieter, but they did NOT change the actual sound file. If you were to go into Settings on the iphone and test the sound, it is loud like it was just before the 3.1 update. So while your new sound may seem WAY too loud, something somewhere in the iPhone is telling the keyboard clicks to tone it down some. So with your new audio file it will do the exact same thing. So while the preview in ToneFXs may seem horribly loud, once you save and respring and test it out, it will be just perfect.

I can't believe no one else has mentioned this here. I am hardly the authority when it comes to stuff like this and I managed to figure this out on my own with a bit of creativity. Hope you enjoy.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know which file is the sound of the sent SMS message? I can change the incoming but the outgoing is the same as everyone elses.

CafeSilver

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know which file is the sound of the sent SMS message? I can change the incoming but the outgoing is the same as everyone elses.

If you go to System/Library/Audio/UISounds the file name is "SentMessage.caf." Unfortunately, the method to change the keyboard clicks I posted yesterday will not work for this since ToneFXs does not have an option to change that sound. So you would have to replace the original file, which is not easy to do. .caf files have a lot more information in them other than just the audio part. I tried playing around with the .caf file for the keyboard click sound first (with no success) before I came up with the workaround I posted yesterday. There are a couple tutorials online about how to do what you want to do (editing .caf files) but they are not easy and will take up quite a bit of your time.