Ok, so having used OS 3.1 since lastnight I can safely say that its loads faster than 3.0.1. In fact, i no longer mutter under my breath whenever I use the phone.

Now, I was having a think lastnight. Apple recently requested the removal of all Free Memory apps from the app store, leaving only 'Lite' versions without the ability to kill running processes etc. Could the speed difference be related to apple introducing a better memory management system within the new OS update?

Its certainly faster, and if they've implemented something that kills and frees up memory whenever an app is closed it could very easily explain why the OS is faster. Not only that, it could also explain the removal of the Apps mentioned above. I could be wrong tho

What does everyone else think?
    09-10-2009 04:13 AM
    Are you using an iphone or ipod touch? What version?
    09-10-2009 06:27 AM
    well you may want to specify if you did a clean install of 3.1 or an inplace upgrade.

makes a diffrence.
    09-10-2009 07:27 AM
    Apologies everyone. Mines an iPhone 3G, it was an inplace upgrade, so no clean install. Upgraded on top of 3.01

Hope that helps?
    09-10-2009 07:42 AM
    I never made the jump to 3.01 , but yeah I like 3.1 seems crisper . Now all we need is to get to the 25 and all will be well .
    09-10-2009 08:09 AM
    Some interesting information, a friend of mine has just text me. He had the free memory app installed on his iPhone (I lost mine when i had my phone swapped out). He says that before the upgrade, it would display that he only had around 10-15MB of ram available, however since the update it hasn't dropped below 30MB. So whatever they've done, its improved available memory on the phone and explains why its faster!

Anyone else noticed this?
    09-10-2009 08:57 AM
    Well I have a lag launching apps and getting to the homescreen so I'm dying to see if there's a diff for me. It's nothing killer so I live with it but it would be nice to not have it. I would love if in some firmware version they would have the option like old PDAs where you could use some of the memory space to run apps instead of to store data so you could increase and decrease the ratio depending on your needs. As it is I've got like 7GB of my 16 free.
    09-10-2009 09:06 AM
    Well I have a lag launching apps and getting to the homescreen so I'm dying to see if there's a diff for me. It's nothing killer so I live with it but it would be nice to not have it. I would love if in some firmware version they would have the option like old PDAs where you could use some of the memory space to run apps instead of to store data so you could increase and decrease the ratio depending on your needs. As it is I've got like 7GB of my 16 free.
    I take it by your post you've not yet update to 3.1? I still have a slight lag when loading apps but trust me, on mine at least that lag is reduced considerable. In particular, it always went on a go slow going into the Settings screen, seemed to take forever to display the options, but now its pretty instant. Like you though, in 3.0 and 3.0.1 the lag in loading apps, in particular messages etc just drove me mad sometimes, hence why i'd bought the free memory app.

With regards to the using memory space, if you've got a 3G I suspect that the reasons for the 3G not getting video would also apply to using the memory to run apps & services. I'm sure I read somewhere, probably on here that theres only a limited amount of read/writes on the memory....granted, video would be a considerable amount more of memory usage including read/writes but running OS stuff from the memory would I suspect also create quite a bit of usage in itself. Just an idea, am always open to constructive criticism
    09-10-2009 09:12 AM
    Yeah sorry forgot to mention that I haven't up'd to 3.1 waiting for the JB. Yeah the Settings and Messages drive me mad waiting LOL
    09-10-2009 10:33 AM
    Glad I wasn't the only one lol! Let us know if the update makes much of a difference to you mate, certainly has to me!
    09-10-2009 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD