Dual Sim Card 3G for Iphone

david13

Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi there

Have anybody heard about that Swiss company Simore that provide a dual sim adapter for iphone

Their video with Iphone here sounds good but I can't see if 3G ok or not,

can see a video in youtube id h-nZbHgzUbQ

Any feeds appreciate.... :p

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I did see it this morning. My guess is that it being an EU product, its gonna have their 3G spectrum rather than US 3G. I love the concept as well.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
U think the high speed networks are not CDMA, UMTS, WCDMA, HSDPA in the US?
Sprint and Verizon are CDMA, EvDo Rev A. T-Mobile and AT&T are GPRS/UMTS. Verizon is rolling out WCDMA (true 4G) and AT&T is planning HSDPA (3.5G).

However, the signaling and the protocols are not the only issues. The US and Europe also use different radio frequencies, two each, layer 1. Most GSM phones, including the iPhone, but not all, support all four frequencies ("World" phones).

The GSM agreement requires that all GSM operators support any GSM phone that supports their frequency and that shows up on their network. Therefore, if I bring my iPhone to Europe, Orange will connect me but they will bill AT&T for all service at a rate agreed upon between them.

When I show up on Orange or O2, they send a registration message to AT&T that says "I've got him, is he your legitimate use and will you pay us for his calls. If so send all calls for him to us."

In AT&T's case, I must have agreed with them in advance of going to Europe. Similarly, if you bring your iPhone to the US, either T-Mo or AT&T will serivce you and charge your provider.

So far so good. However, here in the US we have a scheme under which one may buy a phone form a carrier at a price subsidized by the carrier, in return for signing a contract of specified duration with the carrier. In this case, the phone will use a SIM from that carrier and the phone will be "locked" such that it will only recognize a SIM from that carrier. My understanding is that most iPhones sold in Europe are unlocked and will use whatever SIM is placed in them Thus, when you bring your iPhone to the US, you may use the SIM that you brought with you, or a SIM from either T+mo or AT&T. However, when I take my phone to Europe I may use only my AT&T SIM.

For most of the phones that AT&T sells they will "unlock" the phone at the end of the contract or, at their discretion, upon request. AFAIK, they have not unlocked any iPhones. Of course, since the "lock" is software, there are hacks.

Therefore, with "dual SIM" capability when you come here, you can continue to use your European SIM and also use a US SIM. However, since my phone is locked to AT&T, a dual SIM capability will not help me.

Another way to think of it is that if one can switch SIMs, the dual SIM capability is useful. My understanding is that modt iPhones sold in Europe are unlocked and will use whatever SIM is place in them However, if one cannot switch SIMs (Most AT&T customers), then "dual SIM" is not useful.

Therefore, the answer to the question that started the thread is that a "dual SIM" capability for the iPhone will work well with European purchased iPhones but only "unlocked" iPhones purchased in the US.

david13

Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
OUAOU, thank you whmurray for this long and very usefull explanation

FYI, europe works like USA, most of mobile phones including Iphone are basically SIM Locked by the network operator (Orange, Vodafone), they pay a part of the phone against a 12-24 month subscription. To unsimlock the phone, in most of case you do it yourself or in a shop (20-30? to unsimlock, can be more for latest mobiles) or wait 6+ month subscription then the operator is obliged to provide you with the unsimlock code for free.
It is then possible to mix a Orange & ATT SIM card for coming in the US, that's my goal

Is there easy way to get a prepaid card with internet illimited connections to internet in the US and how much cost such SIM??

Thx

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
OUAOU, thank you whmurray for this long and very usefull explanation

FYI, europe works like USA, most of mobile phones including Iphone are basically SIM Locked by the network operator (Orange, Vodafone), they pay a part of the phone against a 12-24 month subscription. To unsimlock the phone, in most of case you do it yourself or in a shop (20-30? to unsimlock, can be more for latest mobiles) or wait 6+ month subscription then the operator is obliged to provide you with the unsimlock code for free.
It is then possible to mix a Orange & ATT SIM card for coming in the US, that's my goal

Is there easy way to get a prepaid card with internet illimited connections to internet in the US and how much cost such SIM??

Thx
Yes. Walk into any AT&T store. A pre-paid card for an iPhone is a special case. The data plan is $40- per month plus a voice plan. Expect to pay $60-.

david13

Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Thx whmurray, sounds not so expensive as if I already have the Iphone

well, I bought the Dual Sim Platinum and wait it now, already jailbreak & unsimlock my Iphone, so ready

will let U know and make video and how to do.... :cool:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Thx whmurray, sounds not so expensive as if I already have the Iphone

well, I bought the Dual Sim Platinum and wait it now, already jailbreak & unsimlock my Iphone, so ready

will let U know and make video and how to do.... :cool:
There are already one or two phones that feature "dual SIM." Given how cheap it is to do, I am surprised that it is not more popular. As SIMlocking becomes an anti-feature, I expect dualSIM to become common if not standard.

Greg Orlando

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
USB Fever has announced an iPhone battery pack which also features a dual SIM adapter...This is a very innovative design, it will give tou a DUAL SIM for your iPhone 3G / iPhone 3Gs as well as a battery with an internal USB Cable with controller for Pure Charging or Charge + HotSync for your iPhone 3G / iPhone 3Gs...
Pretty cool,right??

penorwood

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Two questions ... will this work in a non-jailbreak phone? I have two At&T lines (one for business and one personal). Could I insert both sims and use the same phone for both? That would be amazing if it worked.

djbbox

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Tmobile

yeah! Tmobile is your best bet. you can get a prepaid card for $6.99 with 10 minutes. here is the thing, you need a regular phone(like a RAZOR) to activate the card(just so their system registers that IMEI) then call to add the $25 unlimited data plan(i have not tried their T-zone plan that is $9.99 but i hear it does not work anymore with the iPhone), then get a refill card and that`s it. if you get the $100 you get more minutes, and they expire 1 year from the purchased day, so if you travel and stuff this is the best way.

Last edited:

david13

Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Two questions ... will this work in a non-jailbreak phone? I have two At&T lines (one for business and one personal). Could I insert both sims and use the same phone for both? That would be amazing if it worked.

yes, with such setings your iphone doesn't need to be unsimlocked but maybee jailbreak, test and let us know

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

It might if you were paying iPhone data rate on both phones. Plain old everyday AT&T SIM will not work in an iPhone.

Juice

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
USB Fever has announced an iPhone battery pack which also features a dual SIM adapter...This is a very innovative design, it will give tou a DUAL SIM for your iPhone 3G / iPhone 3Gs as well as a battery with an internal USB Cable with controller for Pure Charging or Charge + HotSync for your iPhone 3G / iPhone 3Gs...
Pretty cool,right??

That is very innovative, wondering why nobody have done that before.

david13

Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
well, I have choosen to install a platinum dual sim holder and don't find usb fever dual very nice & convenient, btw Juice ;)

3G is ok I confirm, and that fit in my Iphone

have a look at platinum dual sim holder at simore.us website....

roger2010no1

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Oh, this one needs to cut sim card, it's dangerous ! I do not want to
broke my sim card. I find a new Magicsim 26th iphone no cut 3g dual sim, it supports UMTS/HSDPA/WCDMA/GSM/GPRS/EDGE too.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site