...and thus far, no problems with browsing forums, looking up homework, etc., etc.

I do have one question, though: how much use of this is too much use? Will having multiple tabs load in Firefox affect this? Downloading word or PDF files? Would it be possible to watch streaming video (YouTube, along with all the fabulous other sites that don't load on my iPhone) without getting sacked with the tethering fees?

Are my parents going to get socked with a random charge for me using this? I've been told it's okay to use it to look at mostly text-based sites (which is saving my bum when it comes to looking up homework right now!), but I'm unsure about using it for anything more than that.
    08-31-2009 02:45 AM
    In a nutshell, you have a monthly 5GB data cap. Stay away from that number.
    08-31-2009 06:55 AM
    Tmobile has free tethering. Could I be connected to a wifi connection on my iPhone and still share that connection with another pc that has no wifi connection
    08-31-2009 12:21 PM
    What program you using?
    08-31-2009 02:54 PM
    If there's a WiFi connection for your iPhone to connect to, the pc should be able to connect to it as well.

T-Mobile also has a data cap.
    08-31-2009 05:35 PM
    If you are with ATT, which currently requires a hack to do any sort of iPhone tethering, you don't have a "data cap" but I've seen posts on blogs where someone or perhaps a computer at ATT has detected people whose data usage jumps massively from one month to the next. Those people are flagged as possibly hacking to tether. I'd keep your data usage below 2GB if I were you. In my mind, that's about the upper limit that the most hardcore user could possibly hit using the phone legitimately, I just don't see how you could exceed that using the phone browser and features themselves. If you are caught, ATT might hit you with some nasty fines.
    08-31-2009 06:56 PM
    AT&T has a data cap even without official tethering. Remember, the iPhone is not the only phone AT&T supports and other phones do tether. Read the fine print - there is a data cap.
    08-31-2009 07:00 PM
    Even with the data cap, I would tread carefully because they have been known to flag account with unusual activity.
    08-31-2009 07:07 PM
    Does the 5gb cap apply only to tethering or to all data use on the iPhone?
    08-31-2009 09:36 PM
    All data used on the iPhone.
    08-31-2009 10:23 PM
    If it is your parents account I would not tether if I were you. If it were your account do with it as you wish as you would be the one responsable not your parents. Have you even told them your doing this? I know the minute I found my kid trying a stunt like this he would never be on my account again.
    09-01-2009 12:55 AM
    In a nutshell, you have a monthly 5GB data cap. Stay away from that number.
    Looks like I'm okay so far. I've only been using my tethered iPhone to open the same sites I'd open on my iPhone by itself so far, and I'm only to 550 MB for as long as I've had the phone (a couple weeks).

Probably won't try streaming video, though--for what chobbs said. Parents don't know, but since I'm not using it for heavy data-type stuff, I hope it's okay. Just wanted to use a full keyboard to send in assignments for class and stuff. If it gets socked with a charge, I'll own up to fooling around and pay for it - no problems there. But at least I know to be careful and use it spaaaaaringly...as a last resort before a due date or something.
    Last edited by puffalumps; 09-01-2009 at 02:12 AM.
    09-01-2009 02:04 AM
    Sounds like you are using it wisely.
    09-01-2009 06:47 AM
    As long as this topic is up and at the top of the forums, is the data used from tethering taken from the data a pay for on my iphone? from reading all this i would think it is..
    09-01-2009 11:07 AM
    Data is data.

Where else would it come from?
    09-01-2009 11:27 AM
    ATT has a cap on iphone data? OH: ****. not good... zi tether all the time.
    09-01-2009 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD