I did a search and didn't find and previous posts.

Just got the Iphone 3Gs yesterday and am trying to get the phone set up for me.

First; I am using Outlook 2003 with XP for contacts and calendar.

In contacts I have 8 different Categories Business, Friends, etc with a total of over 1500 contacts. When i did my first sync ALL my contacts were put on the Iphone alpabetically--meaning that Iphone does NOT recognize CATEGORIES. In reading and searching here and elsewhere, there seems to be an APP called ROLODEX which appears to allow you to sort by COMPANY. Does anyone know if i move or copy or whatever my category names are to company name field and use the Rolodex app is it will solve my problem of wanting GROUPS on Iphone?

2. how do you set up a GROUP on the Iphone contacts or is it only used for emailing purposes and not sorting purposes????

3. Is there another workaround or method of accomplishing what i'd like to do.

Thank you all for your comments

Mike
    08-30-2009 12:23 PM
    I'm using Outlook 2003 with an Exchange server, so your mileage may vary...

It's true that a stock iPhone won't support Outlook categories, but you can create multiple Contacts folders in Outlook and have them all appear on the iPhone.

Right click on Contacts and select New Folder. Give it any name you want and put some contacts in it. The new folder will appear as a Contacts Group on the iPhone.
    08-30-2009 06:36 PM
    wow--it worked like a charm--just what I wanted. I named each folder the same as my Outlook category and dragged phone list to the correct folder. Upon syncing i now have each Category/folder as a Group.

Cool and thanks so much.

Mike
    08-30-2009 08:53 PM
    Glad I could help!
    08-31-2009 09:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD