Google Voice

spidermanroach

Dec 27, 2008
Visit site
Just wondering if anybody out there has Google Voice and has it working with their iphone? If you do could you let me know what the pros and cons are of having it. Haven't got my invite yet, but have been looking forward to getting it.

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I've got it and I like it.

It costs nothing, so you can use it as a regular phone number, for those people you would rather not give your cell number to. But its more than that, because it comes with with filtering, Voice mail, and outgoing Voice mail (so when Bob calls he gets a specific message), and sms.

It can do voice mail if the person is not on your approved caller list, and if they are native english speakers, it will transcribe the message and send you an email.

You can use it to originate calls from your iPhone even with out the Banned App store App that Apple won't allow. (yet). This allows you to avoid long distance charges so you can buy a strictly local plan.

Soon, very cheap international calls will be possible.

Cons: Free is a good price. Why look for cons?

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
How long have you had it?

Month or so.

I'm seriously thinking of cutting over to it as my primary number.

There is currently a ATT issue (naturally) where the caller's actual phone number does not appear on CALLER-ID on the iPhone unless that user is in your
Google Voice contacts. This is when you are forwarding you GV number to your Cell.

Instead you get some generic 954 number. On my home phone I get the originating number. So its a carrier issue, and one ATT is in no hurry to fix.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I've been using mine for about 2 years. I've had it since it was Grand Central. It's great not having to give your personal number to everyone.

I use it to give my students so that they can call me - on my terms, and without worrying about running my bill up with prank calls.

The transcription (voicemail from both native and non-native English speakers) is rudimentary. It doesn't come close to the transcription you get with PhoneTag, but it's free, and free is good. I like being able to receive calls on whichever phone I'm nearest (two cell numbers, a landline, or a voip line - or at work).

The advantage of the GV app is that you can place calls and have your GV show up on the person's caller id (a moot issue if you ported your # to GV).

miked#IM

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Another option is Phone.com's virtual number service. It does cost $ -- $4.88 to $18.88 a month depending on usage -- but it has more features than Google Voice and has real live support people in San Diego.

I use it as my business line. One neat feature is that it only rings through to my iPhone during business hours M-F, and otherwise goes straight to voicemail.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Like Alli, I have had GV since it was Grand Central. I love it. I use it as my Main Office number. I do not have a land line. Just GV and my iPhone.

I do not push Gmail to my phone so GV text my phone to let me know I have a message, then I just lisyen to the message in Gmail on my iPhone.

I actually have two GV numbers. I am trying to get my wife to drop the Land Line and just go with GV, but I have not convinced her yet.:(

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
There are several pay services that will do what GV does and more, but most people don't even need what GV offers.

I truly believe the mass number of people who were recently clamouring for GV invites had no idea what it was - still have no idea what it is - and won't be using it at all in 6 months.

miked#IM

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
A friend of mine really wants a GV invite, because he told me he can port his cell phone # to it and get rid of his home phone. He was under the impression that it's a true VOIP line, but in fact it's just a virtual number.

BENGRIMM

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I love google voice for two major reasons : 1 free , nothing better than free & 2 you can set it up say the caller name , no more annoying telemarketers , I use this number for everything that I know will lead to ridiculous calls . Just be patient you invite will come .

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
so just out of curiosity. what happens if more than one person happens to answer the phone when a call is coming in to numerous devices? for example, my cell, my home phone & my work all ring @ same time. someone @ work grabs my phonecall before i can get to it on my cell. does this happen often??

JNGold

Sep 12, 2006
Visit site
I have decided to use GV as my main number for my new business venture. Since calls can be routed to both my iPhone and my home number, I have the flexibility of where to receive the calls. Plus, if I take the call on my iPhone, I have the ability to use the built in conference functionality of the phone. I have also decided to add an additional fax number to my home line so I can receive/send faxes.

I have jailbroken my iPhone to get GV Mobile, which will make it a bit easier to leverage the functionality of GV rather than using the web interface.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
so just out of curiosity. what happens if more than one person happens to answer the phone when a call is coming in to numerous devices? for example, my cell, my home phone & my work all ring @ same time. someone @ work grabs my phonecall before i can get to it on my cell. does this happen often??

You want to make sure that if you have GV going to work, that it's either to your direct line, or that you are very careful about when you turn it on/off there. GV does give you the flexibility to quickly turn on/off DND, or what times to send calls to specific numbers.

I believe there is also a function to swap a call from one line to another, but have not tried it. (ie if you answer a call on your cell in the car, and then arrive at work and want to finish the call on your landline.)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods