i was wondering if i go overseas.. and i take my iphone with me could i turn off all the roaming with att and just be able to use my wifi? How would i be able to do this

thanks a bunch!!
    08-26-2009 04:25 PM
    I am actually in the same situation right now. I think the way I'm going to do it is just put the iphone in airplane mode and then just keep my wifi on so I can still check emails. Not sure yet if there are any additional charges for that yet though.
    08-26-2009 04:31 PM
    so i could leave the phone on airplane mode and still keep the wifi on? I thought you couldnt do that?
    08-26-2009 09:03 PM
    You can turn on airplane mode and turn on WiFi. Then all you need is a WiFi connection. It depends on where you go as to whether it exists at all, or if it does exist, how much it costs.
    08-26-2009 10:36 PM
    AT&T has international plans that you can add and remove Nytime you want! Give them a call and see what they offer. I did this for Mexico and it was suprisinly cheap.
    08-27-2009 12:15 AM
    Mexico is cheap, Europe is expensive. I was happy just using the free WiFi in my hotel in Paris and Amsterdam, but I was lucky. My parents just got back from London where they never found a free source of WiFi.
    08-27-2009 07:06 AM
    and with free wifi you should be able to use Skype to make calls, right? unless there is some conflict with it (i swear i read something about this here on TiPb). :/
    08-27-2009 07:26 AM
    You can even make Skype calls when you pay for the WiFi.

But yes.
    08-27-2009 11:28 AM
    You can even make Skype calls when you pay for the WiFi.

But yes.
    You can make Skype calls when you have WiFi, paid or free.
    08-27-2009 03:37 PM
    AT&T has international plans that you can add and remove Nytime you want! Give them a call and see what they offer. I did this for Mexico and it was suprisinly cheap.
    ATT has a series of add-on international data plans
    the highest is like 200mb per month for like $150 per month and overages are charged per KB.

they have a cheaper unlimited plan for like $65/month but it's a year contract or penalties of like $150 to remove.

there's also an international calling rate. for $6-7/month you get to pay $1 per minute less. for some countries this is the difference between $7 and $6 per minute. if you want to make local calls pick up a prepaid overseas.

(I forget the exact numbers but that gives you an idea)

wifi only is your best bet. It's what I would do.
    08-27-2009 04:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD