overseas travel

CarlyLyon

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
i was wondering if i go overseas.. and i take my iphone with me could i turn off all the roaming with att and just be able to use my wifi? How would i be able to do this

thanks a bunch!!

newyork_1

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I am actually in the same situation right now. I think the way I'm going to do it is just put the iphone in airplane mode and then just keep my wifi on so I can still check emails. Not sure yet if there are any additional charges for that yet though.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You can turn on airplane mode and turn on WiFi. Then all you need is a WiFi connection. It depends on where you go as to whether it exists at all, or if it does exist, how much it costs.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
AT&T has international plans that you can add and remove Nytime you want! Give them a call and see what they offer. I did this for Mexico and it was suprisinly cheap.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Mexico is cheap, Europe is expensive. I was happy just using the free WiFi in my hotel in Paris and Amsterdam, but I was lucky. My parents just got back from London where they never found a free source of WiFi.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
and with free wifi you should be able to use Skype to make calls, right? unless there is some conflict with it (i swear i read something about this here on TiPb). :/

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
AT&T has international plans that you can add and remove Nytime you want! Give them a call and see what they offer. I did this for Mexico and it was suprisinly cheap.

ATT has a series of add-on international data plans
the highest is like 200mb per month for like $150 per month and overages are charged per KB.

they have a cheaper unlimited plan for like $65/month but it's a year contract or penalties of like $150 to remove.

there's also an international calling rate. for $6-7/month you get to pay $1 per minute less. for some countries this is the difference between $7 and $6 per minute. if you want to make local calls pick up a prepaid overseas.

(I forget the exact numbers but that gives you an idea)

wifi only is your best bet. It's what I would do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods