Can the the GPS signal be improved?

Jgittere

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
While researching which GPS app to buy, I ran across these directions on the Navigon website.

faq.navigon.com/opencms/international/faq_standalone.html?id=11268&content_identifier=faq&topicId_0=121&topicId_1=170&topicId_2=10714

*don't forget the http in the above link. I have only posted 4 times, so I can't post a link yet.

Anyone tried this or have any thoughts of why this would improve the signal?

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Questionable advice. How many times is one supposed to reset the iPhone? Before every trip?

That might reset the last saved position and force the iPhone to re-acquire the satellites. But there should be no need to to do this regularly, or even once.

The other advice on not using cases etc may be valid, but I guess it depends on the specific case ...

dawggg63

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
The TomTom mount will enhance the GPS signal, as well as hands-free and a better speaker. Does anyone know if it will work as well with the Navigon app? I've been waiting for the dust to settle before I decide which app to get.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The TomTom mount will enhance the GPS signal, as well as hands-free and a better speaker. Does anyone know if it will work as well with the Navigon app? I've been waiting for the dust to settle before I decide which app to get.

As mentioned in the Apple keynote, software has to be written to work with hardware. Navigon would likely have to update their software to work with the mount.

Navigon's faq is overly complex and passing the blame.

What we're seeing in general is a lack of understanding how GPS works. It's not 100% accurate and never will be. This is why A-GPS exists, which is what the iphone uses. It adds on wifi and cellular triangulation.

Guess what, without the A part GPS could be up to 100 meters off or more. That's the distance of a football field.

But for the A part to work it needs good information to work off of. If you're in a big city and can't get enough cell tower locks the A part suffers and your accuracy drops as expected.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Part of the reason cell phones use aGPS is because of their small GPS antennas. Surveyors and the military use GPS units that are accurate too within inches, the calculations are highly accurate. Not all GPS units are that accurate, it just depends on the hardware you are using. The iPhone like most other cell phones do not have super GPS antennas to pick up a higher number of satellites that is required for that kind of accuracy.

Accuracy is dependent on hardware, view of the sky, and number of available satellites to talk to your device.

Floyd1001

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
I've tried Navigon, Sygic, Copilot and tomtom on my jailbroken iphone, and at the moment its a fine line between copilot and tomtom.

The problem i'm having at the moment if anyone can help is i have a parrot mki9100 installed in my car, however when i plug in my phone to the kit i lose signal and the icon says no service.

I then have to reboot the phone and i might get a signal back.

Any thoughts at all?

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I've tried Navigon, Sygic, Copilot and tomtom on my jailbroken iphone, and at the moment its a fine line between copilot and tomtom.

The problem i'm having at the moment if anyone can help is i have a parrot mki9100 installed in my car, however when i plug in my phone to the kit i lose signal and the icon says no service.

I then have to reboot the phone and i might get a signal back.

Any thoughts at all?
Contact Parrot support

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro