The iPhone user guide has the following for erasing your iphone. Has anyone used the following? If so, does it truly erase the iphone? How much data if any is really left on the iPhone?

"Erase all content and settings: Connect iPhone to your computer or a power adapter. Choose General > Reset and tap Erase All Content and Settings.

Thanks!
    Jennifer
    08-22-2009 11:05 PM
    actually when you do this your phone gets locked in a infinite state where it restarts over and over again with the Apple logo. I would advise you to restore your phone then set it up as a new phone.
    08-22-2009 11:42 PM
    Actually you do not have to plug it in to do this. You can erase all data and settings directly from the phone. It securely erases all of your data. And a new user will not be able to access it. Be advised that it will take a few hours so you might want to plug it in.
    08-23-2009 03:21 AM
    Also. I have done this on my old iPhone and I had no problems. It did not get stuck in an infinite loop. I gave said phone to my Son and it works perfectly.
    Last edited by chobbs1; 08-23-2009 at 05:33 PM.
    08-23-2009 03:23 AM
    Also. I have done this on my old iPhone and I had no problems. It did not get stuck in an infinite loop. I gave said phone to my phone and it works perfectly.
    Was your old phone on 3.0.1? and this way to clear your phone is pointless and time wasting its better to restore your phone or set it up as a new phone.
    08-23-2009 12:00 PM
    Was your old phone on 3.0.1? and this way to clear your phone is pointless and time wasting its better to restore your phone or set it up as a new phone.
    Actually this is false. To truly get rid of all data on your iPhone you should use the erase utility within the phones settings. Even if you restore as a new phone you run the risk of of some old data being retrieved if a person who knew what they were doing got a hold of it.
    08-23-2009 03:24 PM
    My old phone was running 3.0. And as has been stated. The erease all data in the phone settings IS a secure erase and a secure erase will take time.
    08-23-2009 05:37 PM
    I looked for the same option on my 3GS when I bought the iPhone 4??? I found something similar but it took two minutes and have my doubts as to whether or not the data was securely erased. Anyone have any info on this?
    07-13-2010 04:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD