Does it cover non-defects like if my screen breaks because of the iPhone getting dropped, runover by a car , exposed to moisture (rain) etc?

E-bay and some other sites sell this for a lot less (~ $40) instead of Apple (~ $70). Are those legit? How can they sell a virtual Apple product at such a discount?

Thanks.
    Aloke Prasad
    08-20-2009 06:57 AM
    Found the answer:

Applecare does not cover abuse. One can buy it from aple for $70 or ebay for $45. It covers manufacturing defects and 50% loss of battery power for year 2 of ownership

Squaretrade will cover damage from drops and spills in addition to what Applecare covers for $115 for year 1 and 2 of ownership.

Get affordable iPhone insurance from SquareTrade Warranty Services

I'll probably pass my new 3Gs to my 13 YO next year when a new iPhone comes out. Coverage of damage sure sounds attractive then ... But $115 !!!
    08-20-2009 08:28 AM
    115 dollars is alot better then 6 or 7 hundred dollars for a replacement
    08-20-2009 09:14 AM
    True. But there must be a reason why most here don't have extended warranty thru squaretrade or others.
    So you have their warranty?
    08-20-2009 11:51 AM
    Apple care just extends the 1 year warranty you already have.

If you want insurance call your homeowners/rental insurance company and ask if they offer floater policies or something similar to cover high value items; almost all of them do. Insuring my iPhone through Statefarm was $25/year. Covers everything; theft, accidental damage, eaten by dog, explodes, etc. They cut me a check to buy a new one at the unsusidized price.
    08-20-2009 01:09 PM
    I picked up a 2 year insurance policy through SquareTrade. No way that I want to pay the $700 or whatever for a new one.
    08-20-2009 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD