My wife is travelling w/ her 3gs in Canada. Before she left I turned off data roaming, and she has wifi off as well. She is currently getting her wireless signal from Rogers, but is able to pull up her facebook page, even w/ data roaming and wifi off (indicator shows no wifi signal. Any idea how this is possible, or if she is incurring these outrageous roaming fees we've been warned about?
    08-18-2009 10:57 AM
    Very strange, but I wouldn't mess around with trying to load sites even with data roaming off. Not really worth the surprise at the end of the month.
    08-18-2009 11:22 AM
    My wife and I run a LOT in Canada. We TURN THE IPHONE COMPLETELY OFF when in CANADA. Rogers is XTREMELY XPENSIVE. 1st time in canada we got hit with a &398.00 ROAMING BILL with A T & T and we have international/Canada Service with A T & T. Tell her to SHUT IT DOWN IMMEDIATELY. You won't regret it. IGoSlo
    08-18-2009 12:23 PM
    She just got off the phone w/ Rogers, and they told her to leave data roaming off, but to turn wifi on so that if there is no attempt attempt to locate a data signal if there is no wifi signal. I'm skeptical, and told her to leave the phone off until we get a better answer... I sure don't want a $400 surprise. When I travelled in Canada w/ my old phone, I always had a Rogers signal, but was only charged roaming fees when I made calls. I sure would like for her to have a live phone while on the road. Any suggestions on how to keep the phone active but avoid data roaming fees?
    08-18-2009 12:42 PM
    U GAVE her GOOD ADVISE. Rogers is like anyother BIG CORP NOT worried about the little guy. They will tell U anything. U won't regret turning it OFF. We have found if U do Travel in Canada buy a cheap pay as U Go phone with rogers. GOOD LUCK IGoSlo
    08-18-2009 01:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD