Travelling in Canada

dawggg63

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
My wife is travelling w/ her 3gs in Canada. Before she left I turned off data roaming, and she has wifi off as well. She is currently getting her wireless signal from Rogers, but is able to pull up her facebook page, even w/ data roaming and wifi off (indicator shows no wifi signal. Any idea how this is possible, or if she is incurring these outrageous roaming fees we've been warned about?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Very strange, but I wouldn't mess around with trying to load sites even with data roaming off. Not really worth the surprise at the end of the month.

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I run a LOT in Canada. We TURN THE IPHONE COMPLETELY OFF when in CANADA. Rogers is XTREMELY XPENSIVE. 1st time in canada we got hit with a &398.00 ROAMING BILL with A T & T and we have international/Canada Service with A T & T. Tell her to SHUT IT DOWN IMMEDIATELY. You won't regret it. IGoSlo

dawggg63

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
She just got off the phone w/ Rogers, and they told her to leave data roaming off, but to turn wifi on so that if there is no attempt attempt to locate a data signal if there is no wifi signal. I'm skeptical, and told her to leave the phone off until we get a better answer... I sure don't want a $400 surprise. When I travelled in Canada w/ my old phone, I always had a Rogers signal, but was only charged roaming fees when I made calls. I sure would like for her to have a live phone while on the road. Any suggestions on how to keep the phone active but avoid data roaming fees?

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Rogers in Canada

U GAVE her GOOD ADVISE. Rogers is like anyother BIG CORP NOT worried about the little guy. They will tell U anything. U won't regret turning it OFF. We have found if U do Travel in Canada buy a cheap pay as U Go phone with rogers. GOOD LUCK IGoSlo :) :eek: :eek: :eek: