Wax 3gs

CiiD

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Help, wife spilled wax on her 3gs earpiece. Now sound is, of course, very muffled... any ideas how to evaporate/remove the wax?

Also, insurance not an option.... really kicking myself about not getting it at the time.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Headphones are covered for a year but you have to go to an apple store. I doubt wax is covered though.

Also, the only way to remove wax is with heat. Heat melts plastic too.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
he wasn't talking about the headphones he was talking about the ear piece on the handset itself. yes heat would melted. Is there anyway you could expose only the ear piece area to some heat, and turn it face down over something so that the wax will fall out? Also, not too much heat, cause that could obviously cause damage.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
he wasn't talking about the headphones he was talking about the ear piece on the handset itself. yes heat would melted. Is there anyway you could expose only the ear piece area to some heat, and turn it face down over something so that the wax will fall out? Also, not too much heat, cause that could obviously cause damage.

ah, the handset. same problem. the heat needed to melt the wax would damage the speaker.

holland_patrick

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
If i had to I would do this get a towel you don't need any more. put in over the phone and then take a iron and then put the towel with the phone in side it on the iron becareful.....

CiiD

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
I have tried a hair dryer in the past, but I was just hoping there was a way to either dissolve it or whatnot...

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
will it not just cake off? what i mean is, if the wax has cooled, then it formed a mold, just take an exacto knife, and pull the wax off. unless i suppose it got "inside" of the actual little openings. if thats the case, you may be out of luck sans opening the case. and that would void warranty. keep us updated! should we even ask what you all were doing with hot wax and an iphone to beging with!?!?!?!? LOL Kinky! :)

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I would try some compressed air to really cool it off. It might flick off then with some tweezers or nail file.:confused:

CiiD

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Problem is that its not on the surface, it is inside the speaker itself, reducing the volume by like 70%

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
So it is not on top of the speaker? It is all the way inside the housing actually under the speaker? The cold air will make it brittle so that you can break it off better.

If that does not work, you have you choices as I see it:

1) Go to Apple store and let them repair it. They will charge you for that though.

2) Invest in a BT headset. That will cost you as well.:rolleyes:

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
1. Insert wick.
2. Make iCandle.

Sorry for the smartass response, but I have never heard of this issue before!

Whatever you do, be very careful with heat. Could cause more damage than you want.

An non-smartass response would maybe use a pin very carefully to pick at it. I'll be very interested to see how this is resolved.

BENGRIMM

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I would try holding it over some boiling water , the steam wont be as hot and not as direct . Or just clean off all visible wax and pray to get a good Mac Genius @ the Apple Store .

Exergy

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
I would try holding it over some boiling water , the steam wont be as hot and not as direct . Or just clean off all visible wax and pray to get a good Mac Genius @ the Apple Store .

Dont do that! The steam would not be enough to melt the wax and would just destroy the phone. Take it to an apple store and see what they tell you. If you're s*** out of luck try holding it over some heat or just let the wax make its way out over time...

Good Luck, Let us know how it goes...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh