ok guys, I have a couple questions for you and your opinions/advice is needed. I'm going to be purchasing an iphone tonight via online order. Through my employer I get access to their premium site and have a couple different options.

For reference, I currently own a storm and ipod touch(1g 8gb) and just can't take it anymore. I just need something that works 100% of the time without having to carry around 2 devices.

That being said, through my employer I get 2yr pricing for 1yr contracts. It currently shows the iphone 3g 8gb(refurb) at $49 and the 16gb(refurb) at $99. The Iphone 3gs 16gb is the usual $199. My question, is buying the 3g and not the 3gs something I will regret later on? I know comming from a storm the 3g will be alot better, but I'm sure in the back of my mind I'll always be wanting the 3gs. What are your opinons? is the extra $150 worth it?

Next question, will all the apps/tv shows/audio books..etc I have for my itouch be able to go over to an iphone without having to purchase them again?

Does the iphone 3g or 3gs have a different connection than an itouch or will my car fm transmitter/charger work with the iphone too?

I use td ameritrade to trade stocks and the storm app is actually pretty decent. Does the iphone app have a real time ticker for up to date pricing?
    08-17-2009 07:55 PM
    Your apps will not transfer over but you will be able to tranfer your media.

The 3gs is twice as fast as the 3g so yes IMO it is well worth the extra money for that alone. Not to mention better camera, video capabilities, and voice control.

And I have no idea about the ticker thingy.

These are my opinions only. But I hope it has helped with your decision
    08-17-2009 08:11 PM
    That being said, through my employer I get 2yr pricing for 1yr contracts. It currently shows the iphone 3g 8gb(refurb) at $49 and the 16gb(refurb) at $99. The Iphone 3gs 16gb is the usual $199. My question, is buying the 3g and not the 3gs something I will regret later on? I know comming from a storm the 3g will be alot better, but I'm sure in the back of my mind I'll always be wanting the 3gs. What are your opinons? is the extra $150 worth it?
    Yes!

Next question, will all the apps/tv shows/audio books..etc I have for my itouch be able to go over to an iphone without having to purchase them again?
    Yes.

Does the iphone 3g or 3gs have a different connection than an itouch or will my car fm transmitter/charger work with the iphone too?
    They might be slightly different as far as the way they are held. Otherwise, they utilize the same dock connector in order to charge, etc.

I use td ameritrade to trade stocks and the storm app is actually pretty decent. Does the iphone app have a real time ticker for up to date pricing?
    There is a pretty nice stock Stocks app. If you search TD Ameritrade in the App store you will find a few apps. Might want to check then out on your iPod Touch.
    08-17-2009 08:14 PM
    Thanks for the help chops, wow so the apps I have purchased from my computer on itunes and installed on itouch will not be able to be used on my new iphone? Thats a huge let down =/ I probably have $100 in apps alone, I would rather not have to purchase again. darn.
    08-17-2009 08:14 PM
    Your apps will not transfer over but you will be able to tranfer your media.
    Apps will transfer over as long as they are on teh same iTunes account.
    08-17-2009 08:15 PM
    jamesus, thanks for your input. Getting a couple different directions on the apps, previous poster said apps wont transfer?? On the fm transmitter, my main concern is it's a griffin I use to listen to my ipod over my radio in my car. I spent roughly 80 bucks on it..lol
    08-17-2009 08:17 PM
    if you are referring to istockmanager, then yes, it is available in app store as well.

there is a difference of day and night between ISM that is available on storm and the one on iphone. (i used to own a storm as well).

there are tons of other stock apps that i am sure u will find very very helpful. You can't go wrong switching from that POS storm to iphone 3GS.
    08-17-2009 08:20 PM
    Thanks for the help everyone. One other question, is there a way besides burning a dvd/cd to backup downloaded apps/tunes..etc from itunes?
    08-17-2009 08:31 PM
    Thanks for the help everyone. One other question, is there a way besides burning a dvd/cd to backup downloaded apps/tunes..etc from itunes?
    If you buy your apps/music from iTunes you can always re-download it from iTunes for free.
    08-17-2009 08:32 PM
    Your griffin fm transmitter will work with an iPhone. I bought one when I first got my itouch and it works fine with my 3g.
    08-17-2009 08:40 PM
    If you buy your apps/music from iTunes you can always re-download it from iTunes for free.
    Apps you can, I have been told you cannot re-download music for free, so back it up
    08-17-2009 08:41 PM
    really? how do I go about doing that? I have music from awhile back I would like to redownload. I lost it in a harddrive crash.
    08-17-2009 08:57 PM
    I stand somewhat corrected. If you are not syncing your apps to your iPod then you can transfer apps over to the phone. But , correct me if I am wrong again, you cannot have the apps on both devices?!?!?
    08-17-2009 09:08 PM
    really? how do I go about doing that? I have music from awhile back I would like to redownload. I lost it in a harddrive crash.
    Open iTunes>Right Click Purchases> Check for available downloads
    08-17-2009 09:08 PM
    Yes, you can have apps on both an iPod and an iPhone. I have both a touch 2nd Gen and a iPhone 3GS and can sync them both to my iTunes account.

I do use a lot of free apps, so maybe that is why, not sure.
    08-17-2009 09:18 PM
    Now I am really curious. Can you really transfer apps over?? I was under the impression that you can't share them between two devices????
    08-17-2009 09:19 PM
    Now I am really curious. Can you really transfer apps over?? I was under the impression that you can't share them between two devices????
    As long as your using the same iTunes account on the computer and all devices you can use apps you buy on as many iPod Touches and iPhones as you want. Each device syncs independently of the others.
    08-17-2009 09:21 PM
    Pretty sure you can sync the same apps onto 5 devices with the same iTunes account.
    08-17-2009 09:52 PM
    Pretty sure you can sync the same apps onto 5 devices with the same iTunes account.
    I don't think there is a limit with how many devices you can sync with. But there is a 5 device limit with how devices can be logged in with the same iTunes account.
    08-17-2009 09:58 PM
    Hmmm, if you can only sync the same apps (purchased once on a single iTunes account) to devices on the same iTunes account, and you can only have 5 devices on the same iTunes account....seems like you can sync the same app to 5 devices. Unless I am missing something.
    08-17-2009 10:01 PM
    Hmmm, if you can only sync the same apps to devices on the same iTunes account, and you can only have 5 devices on the same iTunes account....seems like you can sync the same app to 5 devices. Unless I am missing something.
    You can sync apps to iPhones that are not on the same account.
    I synced some apps I paid for to my friends iPhone who has a different iTunes account. They just cannot update the app because when they try it will ask them for my password.
    08-17-2009 10:03 PM
    Well it looks as though I've learned something tonight. You can indeed use apps on multiple devices from the same iTunes.

I love this forum I have learned loads!
    08-18-2009 01:28 AM
    jamesus, thanks for your input. Getting a couple different directions on the apps, previous poster said apps wont transfer?? On the fm transmitter, my main concern is it's a griffin I use to listen to my ipod over my radio in my car. I spent roughly 80 bucks on it..lol
    I stand somewhat corrected. If you are not syncing your apps to your iPod then you can transfer apps over to the phone. But , correct me if I am wrong again, you cannot have the apps on both devices?!?!?
    I don't think there is a limit with how many devices you can sync with. But there is a 5 device limit with how devices can be logged in with the same iTunes account.
    Hmmm, if you can only sync the same apps (purchased once on a single iTunes account) to devices on the same iTunes account, and you can only have 5 devices on the same iTunes account....seems like you can sync the same app to 5 devices. Unless I am missing something.
    This is the answer to all of the Apps to devices/computers questions:
    you can have the same apps on as many phone/touch devices as you want, but you can only only sync them with up to 5 computer at one time.
    08-18-2009 10:21 AM
    That is not true. Music you cannot re-download. I learned this the hard way when I had my computer stolen with thousands of songs on it. I had to write the songs off on my insurance claim because Apple wouldn't let me re-download the music.

And for the OP, yes you can sync your apps you bought for your iPod Touch to your iPhone. Also, definitely go for the 3GS. I switched from a iPhone 2G to a Palm Pre and before the 30 days was up I switched back to an iPhone and got the 3GS and it is significantly faster even when swiping through the home pages.
    Last edited by sherman901; 08-18-2009 at 10:41 AM.
    08-18-2009 10:39 AM
    That is not true. Music you cannot re-download. I learned this the hard way when I had my computer stolen with thousands of songs on it. I had to write the songs off on my insurance claim because Apple wouldn't let me re-download the music.

And for the OP, yes you can sync your apps you bought for your iPod Touch to your iPhone. Also, definitely go for the 3GS. I switched from a iPhone 2G to a Palm Pre and before the 30 days was up I switched back to an iPhone and got the 3GS and it is significantly faster even when swiping through the home pages.
    I have read on several blogs/forums you can but ok.
    According to the Content blog, an email from iTunes confirms that if you lose all of your purchased iTunes music (due to something like a hard drive crash), iTunes wil let you re-download all of your lost songs.
    EDIT: LINK
    Last edited by Tramain; 08-18-2009 at 10:46 AM.
    08-18-2009 10:44 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD