Improving auto-correct

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if this has been covered, but can someone recommend a good way to improve the internal dictionary? It's getting irritating to have to constantly fix "Im" to "I'm"! I read somewhere, maybe even here that using Safari is a good way to improve the dictionary. Too bad I don't remember what the method is :)

Thanks in advance.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
If you type I'm enough times (I believe it's 3), the dictionary will automatically suggest I'm when you type "im". It should suggest I'm automatically. I know mine always did.

puffalumps

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Is there any way to get it to unsuggest some words? I constantly get "it's" for "its" and it's been more than three times that I've told it to quit adding in the unnecessary apostrophe... :(

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It needs a specific chain of events.. When you're a fast typer, this chain of events often does not match what is required to erase the suggestion. It happens to me a lot. It needs you to type "its", pause and cancel the suggestion. Precisely that and that only. Eventually it WILL get rid of the suggestion just keep doing it properly. Its its its its its its it its...

Nevermind I just tried it and it won't get rid of that suggestion.. WTF??

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Are you sure the apostrophe is not needed? It is usually either a contraction or possessive and in both Instances I believe an apostrophe is appropriate. Right?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Go into notes and type what you want and hit the X when it suggests what you don't want. After a few times it should learn the new word.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@chobbs1 .. It's is only used when saying "it is". Using it's to say "its own" for example is incorrect but a VERY common misconception. Even though it IS possessive, for some reason you just can't use it's to say its in that instance.. the English language has no concrete rules @_@

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification on the English language and its weird rules. It's always good to learn something.

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
Lol indeed. That's why English is the hardest language to learn..

I agree. You can speak the language all of your life and still realize that you are pronouncing words improperly, or even using the wrong words altogether. As for punctuation, that is a whole other ball of wax.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2