iPhone as a business phone?

Shivers

Jan 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone, i have a few quick questions regarding using the iphone as a business phone.

1. With 3.0, can i use push email settings so i dont have to check my inbox periodically?

2.Can i use the built in email app for microsoft outlook, or will i need a 3rd party app? If so, which ones?

3. Can the built in email app handle attatchments? 99% of them will be word documents, anything else will be excel.

4. Can i create and email word and excel documents with an app? Please no mobieme apps.

5. Is there a good google docs app allowing me to do any of the above?

Thanks

ps. I had my son type this up for me, please forgive any grammar and spelling errors.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure others will chime in that are more knowledgeable than I. However I'll take a crack at the ones to the best of my knowledge.

1. With 3.0, can i use push email settings so i dont have to check my inbox periodically? yes I beleive push is available but I think it also depends on what email account you will be using it with

2.Can i use the built in email app for microsoft outlook, or will i need a 3rd party app? If so, which ones? Yes the email does exchange so you should be able to setup an email account

3. Can the built in email app handle attatchments? 99% of them will be word documents, anything else will be excel. Yes the email has attachments whether it does Word and Excel I'm not sure of I know it does pictures and PDFs but I don't see why it wouldn't be able to save Word and Excel attachments

4. Can i create and email word and excel documents with an app? Please no mobieme apps. I don't know this one since I don't do this try a search cause I'm pretty sure I read a couple threads aobut this topic

5. Is there a good google docs app allowing me to do any of the above? I don't know this one

mm007

May 6, 2009
Visit site
1. It is capable of push dependent on email client as Ipheuria stated.
2. You can set up Microsoft Exchange through email in settings. (I keep iPhone, Moto Q (Windows Mobile), and PC synced through exchange).
3 & 4.It does handle attachments. That being said I use DataViz Docstogo ($5) for creating, editing, and sending word docs and viewing (editing coming "soon") excel. Quikoffice will edit both but starts at $12.
5. You can view Google docs through their webapp interface.

P.S. Your son did a better job than 95% of people who post content on the Internet.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Apple - iPhone - Learn how to use all the features of iPhone.

1. With 3.0, can i use push email settings so i dont have to check my inbox periodically?
via Exchange and MobileMe, Google offers an exchange alternate option I believe. Otherwise it can be set to fetch email on an interval like Outlook can.

2.Can i use the built in email app for microsoft outlook, or will i need a 3rd party app? If so, which ones?
Yes, itunes handles the sync to/from it.

3. Can the built in email app handle attatchments? 99% of them will be word documents, anything else will be excel.
Yes. Open but not edit.

4. Can i create and email word and excel documents with an app? Please no mobieme apps.
Documents To Go has word editing and will add excel. There's some others that are available as mentioned

5. Is there a good google docs app allowing me to do any of the above?
via their website, not native apps.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
As everyone has already answered your questions, I will only add to Question #4 answers. D2G is a very good way to handle Docs on the iPhone, but for right now QuickOffice is the most full featured. QO allows you to Create and Edit both M$ Word and Excel files. D2G only Creates/Edits Word for now and only views Excel. QO also allows you to download email attachments and file them on your iPhone. From there you can Edit that file as needed. If you are a MobileMe user QO also allows your to download and upload Docs to and from MoMe.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I have the Quick office suite. And yes you can create and edit word and excel files. The interface takes a little getting used to, but it does work. I love that you can store documents directly on the phone. Another nice feature is being able to email said doc's.

The phone can set up almost any email. But not all offer push. But you can fetch in as little as 15 min intervals. Which in most cases is fast enough.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW