Sister jumped into the pool with her iPhone...Rice or plug in?

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
My sister is a lifeguard and had to jump in to grab somebody today, didnt have time to take her sweatshirt all the way off, and it ended up falling in with her iPhone in the pocket. We currently have it submerged in rice because that's the #1 go-to solutions I've heard for iPhones and BlackBerrys. However, her friend rebooted it and it shows a "plug into iTunes" sign when you turn it on. Her friend said that he did the same thing, plugged it into iTunes when his was water damaged and it booted up. My question is, should we:

A.) Let it chill in rice? If so, for how long?

B.) Should we try plugging it in? Or will this risk possibly shorting it?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes let it chill in rice as the above poster stated for 48 hours and dont plug it in. Plugging it in and it may be toast for good. Good luck and hopefully its recoverable.

cjharley

Apr 26, 2009
Visit site
My co-worker dropped hers in the toilet thought it was dead and took it back to AT&T. They told her it was fine and all she needed to do was charge it. She said something about it not being able to connect, but I haven't had time to ask her what she means by that.

Jedi

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
My girlfriend dropped hers in a cup of tea, left in rice for 48 hours, charged it, all appeared good, but cmera never worked, and battery lost all charge within 5 minutes. Claimed on insurance, new iPhone.

nfrederick

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I just had to use my homeowners on my iPhone on Monday, got my check today and am going to the Apple store in a couple hours to get my new iPhone.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
My girlfriend dropped hers in a cup of tea, left in rice for 48 hours, charged it, all appeared good, but cmera never worked, and battery lost all charge within 5 minutes. Claimed on insurance, new iPhone.

A friend got his 3G wet while at a college football game a while ago when it started to rain. He put it in a ziplock bag with some rice and stuck it in the fridge for a day or so.

He was able to use everything as normal except the camera didn't work.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Do not turn it back on until it is completly dry! You could short something out. I'd give it the full 48. Hopefully that intital turning on didn't fry something.

On a side note, the poster that used the home owner insurance claim, do you have to call them and add the phone?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit