Push comes to shove!!!!!

rsandlas

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
What is this"push" you all talk about. Gmail doesn't have it yahoo does. What's the difference between fetch and push. I have an gmail account and a yahoo account I don't seem to notice any difference. What does push do? I need to be enlightened.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
There is lots of info on this, on this forum.

But, simply put:

Fetch - your iPhone checks your account every X minutes for new data

PUSH - as soon as new data hits your account, whether it be email etc, it's delivered to your iPhone.

Downside to PUSH, is battery life. Since it's an open tunnell, 24/7/365 (unless you turn PUSH off, or the iPhone off)...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
There is lots of info on this, on this forum.

But, simply put:

Fetch - your iPhone checks your account every X minutes for new data

PUSH - as soon as new data hits your account, whether it be email etc, it's delivered to your iPhone.

Downside to PUSH, is battery life. Since it's an open tunnell, 24/7/365 (unless you turn PUSH off, or the iPhone off)...

This has actually been debated quite a bit and I'm one that feels push gives you better battery life. As an email is PUSHED to you when one arrives where as fetch is constantly polling - depending on the interval you choose - even if there is no email to grab.

Now this can differ depending on the amount of email you receive during your day. So in all honesty it depends.

Last edited:

baseballkyle

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Actually push gives you better battery life. As an email is PUSHED to you when one arrives where as fetch is constantly polling - depending on the interval you choose - even if there is no email to grab.

Although this can differ depending on the amount of email you receive during your day. So in all honesty it depends.
I guess I should have elaborated a little more (so you wouldn't have deleted my post - nice)...

It does depend greatly. Push notifications coupled with a fetch IMAP (Gmail) offers the best battery life setup w/out the loss of instant notification imho. That is why I mentioned PushMail. I have no affiliation with anyone or anything - I just know what works. Give it a shot, you will be pleasantly surprised. Battery life is at a premium on all iPhones, so this is pertinent and deserving of not being deleted.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I guess I should have elaborated a little more (so you wouldn't have deleted my post - nice)...

It does depend greatly. Push notifications coupled with a fetch IMAP (Gmail) offers the best battery life setup w/out the loss of instant notification imho. That is why I mentioned PushMail. I have no affiliation with anyone or anything - I just know what works. Give it a shot, you will be pleasantly surprised. Battery life is at a premium on all iPhones, so this is pertinent and deserving of not being deleted.

Yeah, maybe you should have elaborated a bit more instead of plugging an app and not answering the OP's question. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner