It's getting pretty annoying. My iPhone seems to have a selective memory when learning new words when I type. Words I've typed that the iPhone doesnt recognize usually picks up and learns just fine, but there are other ACTUAL words that it wants to correct all the time.

2 examples: When I type "Gabe or Gabes" (As in the name), it always fixes it to "Gave" and "Haves". No matter how many times I correct it.

Another example is when I try to type "him" it corrects it half the time to "Jim".

Is there any way to fix this aside from turning off auto correct?
    08-11-2009 01:11 PM
    Sooo whats the answer?
    06-28-2011 12:41 AM
    Ohh I think just restore settings default...
    06-28-2011 01:26 AM
    It's getting pretty annoying. My iPhone seems to have a selective memory when learning new words when I type. Words I've typed that the iPhone doesnt recognize usually picks up and learns just fine, but there are other ACTUAL words that it wants to correct all the time.

2 examples: When I type "Gabe or Gabes" (As in the name), it always fixes it to "Gave" and "Haves". No matter how many times I correct it.

Another example is when I try to type "him" it corrects it half the time to "Jim".

Is there any way to fix this aside from turning off auto correct?
    Add an international keyboard and the custom dictionary will become available and you can add words directly too it instead of trying to get it to learn; which has become quite difficult.
    06-28-2011 08:32 AM
    Cool. Is it true that you can only do this by adding the Chinese Traditional Pinyin keyboard? That's what I was able to Google, anyway, and it works great!
    06-28-2011 08:47 AM
    I think with that one you only have to add one new keyboard for it to pop up. You can do it with some Japanese ones too. Otherwise you might need to add a few before it shows up, no idea why.
    06-28-2011 09:04 AM
    Mine does it with curse words. I type them all the time and it tries to change them. After a while it will give up trying to change it to one word and then it will try for another. It drives me insane.
    06-28-2011 02:44 PM
    I have this problem too with a few words I use all the time and some curse words. Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try adding the keyboard/custom dictionary.
    06-29-2011 12:39 PM
    Ohh I think just restore settings default...
    I'd do that myself
    06-30-2011 11:37 AM
    Yeah this is the reason auto correct can be so funny right, and how there's a website devoted to it too haha, but yeah it really can be such a pain!
    07-07-2011 04:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD