This must be addressed

TigerInstinct

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
The voice memo app was a great idea but it is lacking probably the most important feature. It does not work during calls. We need to be able to record memos during phone calls (when they are active) right now when you attempt to use it the app prompts you to end your call. This is a no brainer. This is a feature we need. While not the most important it defeats the purpose of creating the app in the first place. I have another app that I use to record memos during calls and that is one of things I hate the most is having two apps that basically do the same thing.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Isn't recording other people's phone calls called wiretapping? I remember a big case about that a few years ago.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
He's not talking about recording conversations. He wants to be able to record a memo while on a phone call. I have no need for it, but it's not a bad idea.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Well... the phone's mic is being used for the call already. This is why Shazam doesn't work on calls either.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Isn't recording other people's phone calls called wiretapping? I remember a big case about that a few years ago.

i think it varies on the situation and how you would perceive another persons call. i for one would love this feature as i use my phone at work, and sometimes i need to record conversations with specific people i'm interviewing or whatnot. i just put it on speaker and use a digital recorder for now.:eek:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The voice memo app was a great idea but it is lacking probably the most important feature. It does not work during calls. We need to be able to record memos during phone calls (when they are active) right now when you attempt to use it the app prompts you to end your call. This is a no brainer. This is a feature we need. While not the most important it defeats the purpose of creating the app in the first place. I have another app that I use to record memos during calls and that is one of things I hate the most is having two apps that basically do the same thing.

Recording phone calls without a warrant or telling the other party that it is happening is very illegal.

As for making a voice memo while on call, as others said the mic is already in use. You can probably remember a thought for ~30 seconds to end the call and then make a memo.

Last edited:

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
No it's not illegal. The laws differ depending on state etc.. From what I understand a lot of areas allow recording as long as just one party is aware. Check out your local laws.

As for the subject of this thread, as lloft pointed out, this is nit about recording conversations. Personally I have no need at all for voice memo. A pad and pencil next to the phone have always worked for me. But it sounds like a good idea for those who can use it.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Google Voice allows recording of phone calls.

I think it should be allowed on the iPhone as suggested by the OP. Legality depends on the user and the circumstances.

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site

It depends on the state, each state has different rules. All states you need a warrant to record as a 3rd party, but some states allow we example:

If person A & person B are talking, some states allow either person A or B to record a conversation if they want without mentioning that they are recording.

Most states only allow recording only if one of the parties states they are recording the transmission or a third party has a warrant...

Its a state by state thing, mainly the law is designed so a 3rd party can not breach the privacy on your conversation.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Apple will not allow this because they're not going to open themselves to be a party to a lawsuit. I bet the law is strict in California.

It would be very easy to add as well. They just have to split the data stream so it records and goes to the phone at the same time and/or let you run the notes and mute the call at the same time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73