Is it necessary to perform a backup every time I sync? I sync with two pc's and not only does the backup take absolutely for ever, it use the HD space on both PC's...

Any way to limit the backup to once a week, once a month or manually?
    08-07-2009 03:17 PM
    It does a backup on each sync, you'd have to hit the X on the iTunes info display to get it to stop. How long does it take though? My entire sync takes maybe 2-3 minutes with maybe half of that being the backup.
    08-07-2009 03:32 PM
    big9erfan is correct, it should only take a few minutes. But, I wonder, if the backup folder is full or corrupt thus causing this issue...
    08-07-2009 04:00 PM
    Thanks folks.. the phone is new, though anything can go currupt at any point obviously.. The Backup takes about 40 minutes if not more. It's a 32g 3Gs, with over 17g free. I sync my calendar and contacts from my office PC and my media from my home pc, can this have something to do with it? Other than that, nothing special that I can tell of.

Is there any danger if I chose to abort the backup by clicking the X, other than the loss of updated data, if I had sync'd earlier in the day?
    Last edited by MMarz; 08-07-2009 at 09:18 PM.
    08-07-2009 09:13 PM
    I'm not sure what my problem is. But when you guys say "forever," I don't think of 40 minutes. I'm 2 hours into a backup currently. Only doing this so I can install the 3.1 update. I'm only about 25% through on the status bar. I'm just hoping I can get it done in the next 9 or 10 hours before I go to bed. I typically just expect my backups to take around 12 hours.

I use MobileMe so I don't have to backup often. All my contact info is in the cloud. But now I'm starting to wonder: what can I do to fix this?

I have a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard. I'm backing up a 3GS with 2gb audio, 1gb video, 2gb photos and 6gb of application data. Clearly 11gb shouldn't take 12 hours, but it does.

Should I wipe something out and start over? I've not actually seen much progress on my status bar in the last hour.
    09-20-2009 02:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD