iPhone OS 4.0 - Complete UI Overhaul?

Are you expecting a complete UI overhaul when the 4.0 software is released?

• Yes - I'm getting bored...

Votes: 93 66.4%
  • No - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Votes: 47 33.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Its not a matter of boredom.

Its a matter of functionality.

The current UI was never designed to handle 11 pages of apps. In fact, functionality falls apart after just three or four pages. It was never designed with the App Store in mind.

Everyone seems to think Apple just does it so much better, that they never make design mistakes. So why isn't this design used in Snow Leopard? Windows? Gnome? KDE?

Answer: Because it no longer works.

People need categories :user designed categories, as well as Apple designated categories. We need to be able to switch which list of categories we want to view at any time. (Its all just a text index, you should be able to build multiple such indexes and manage them with iTunes, and assign icons to the index sub-categories).

Let us use Text menues, drop down lists, folders, whatever. Just get away from the scrolling and scrolling. I don't want to search. I don't even know the names of the apps I use only occasionally.

We also need to be able to lock certain apps, but leave the phone unlocked for quick access, and functionality.

Those who like the current interface are generally NEW to the phone, and they need to look at a Palm Pre, Android, or Nokia N900. Open your eyes to possibilities, and take the Apple blinders off.

This UI is an embarrassment. Its time to move on.

Last edited:

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site

The current UI was never designed to handle 11 pages of apps. In fact, functionality falls apart after just three or four pages. It was never designed with the App Store in mind.

Everyone seems to think Apple just does it so much better, that they never make design mistakes. So why isn't this design used in Snow Leopard? Windows? Gnome? KDE?

People need categories :user designed categories, as well as Apple designated categories. We need to be able to switch which list of categories we want to view at any time. (Its all just a text index, you should be able to build multiple such indexes and manage them with iTunes, and assign icons to the index sub-categories).

Let us use Text menues, drop down lists, folders, whatever. Just get away from the scrolling and scrolling. I don't want to search. I don't even know the names of the apps I use only occasionally.

We also need to be able to lock certain apps, but leave the phone unlocked for quick access, and functionality.

Those who like the current interface are generally NEW to the phone, and they need to look at a Palm Pre, Android, or Nokia N900. Open your eyes to possibilities, and take the Apple blinders off.

I'm far from an Apple fan boy - I've owned several BlackBerry and Palm devices. With that being said the UI Apple created has been the smoothest and best looking I've ever used.

Its far from embarrassment, with or without my opinion.

sinsin07

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site

Well said. 3 or 4 pages of apps OK. 6-11 gets cumbersome. With the setup as it is now, this is basically a widget interface. It time for something a little more sophisticated.

I'm far from an Apple fan boy - I've owned several BlackBerry and Palm devices. With that being said the UI Apple created has been the smoothest and best looking I've ever used.

Its far from embarrassment, with or without my opinion.

It might be the smoothest and best looking interface you ever used, however it still needs options for power users to manage their apps. People who don't want to manage their apps don't have to use it, they can keep their phone simple. To keep people interested the interface will need to evolve from widget like functionality.

tschertz01

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
I don't think the UI needs a complete overhaul but there are 2 things I'd like to change. The springboard (I'll expand below) and notifications.

I think a way to make the springboard more useful would be to have the dock open like a drawer. In other words, some sort of gesture (maybe a 2 finger upward swipe) to expand the dock to full screen. That way you would have 20 locations you could fill with your most frequently used apps. Then they would always be accessible from any home screen that you are on.

Please no landscape/coverflow scrolling up down and sideways implementations please. I would hate it if my home screens changed orientation every time I turned it on it's side. It's annoying enough in so many other apps as well. The stacks idea I've seen is OK, but it's ultimately to complicated for the average user + I just don't like the look of stacked icons. One other thing I'd do to the dock is allow a limited number of apps to run in the background. Maybe limit to 2 or 3 of your choice and they would have to reside on the dock to be eligible. And when enabled a pop up can warn you that you may take a battery hit. That way nobody can say they weren't warned.

Notifications is tricker and even though I have some ideas how to fix, I don't know how it would be implemented. So I'll leave that for another time. Hope my ramblings were appropriate for this thread.

darwing

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
if its not broken don't fix it, as soon as they change it everyone is going to be up in arms and blasting the new UI saying they dont know how to use it yadda yadda yadda, people dont like change and when something is already good and people get used to it changing is the hardest part. when microsoft went to vista ppl has a **** storm even though it was ultimately better people didnt really know how to use it.

changing an entire UI just because some users are "bored" of it.. LOL give me a break how is that justification for even thinking of changing anything? your argument is not that its ****ty or that it needs fixing, it's that ... "im bored" if thats the case then you should go pick up a Palm-Pre its new and has a cool interface!

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
As I'm an avid jailbreaker, theming through the stock phone would be nice.

Most of all, a better notification system, as others have said. I really like the way the android devices let you pull down a page of ALL your notifications in one place. Hey, even the iPhone facebook app does this. Shows all your fb notifications in 1 place, not if Apple could do that to where you can tap the menu bar and see notifications or something like that, I'd be happy w/ notifications. I never know with Twitter because if someone else RTs me or @mentions me, I don't see it as it overwrites the last one on the homescreen. Not very smart of apple.

Other than that, i'd like to see more stock SMS tones. I don't really like making my own. I like the clean sounds Apple uses but maybe a little more variety. I'm a fan of the glass tone.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
i would also like to be able to remove some of the standard apps with the app manager in itunes like weather, stocks, and compass.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
What we need is Apple to stop being Iphone Nazi's. With the way Apple is and there ultimate goal of stopping jailbreaking hince the new new 3GS phones that have tethered jailbreaks. I don't think 4.0 will be what us jailbreakers want. Apple for some reason doesn't want themes or themeing on their phone or flat out customizing. Or they would have made an update along time ago opening the phone up without jailbreaking. They would remove their very strict app store rules. Or just damn let us get Adobe. I just think 4.0 will be a newer looking IPhone with more RAM and a bigger CPU. And a couple odds and ends like Safari download or SMS tones like we can with Ringtones. I'm afraid people that are expecting a 4.0 Iphone thats fully customizable are gonna be really dissappointed. It might be a phone thats alot more secure and alot harder to hack and jailbreak.

Josh

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
ESP STOCK AND THAT HORRENDOUS WEATHER(i mean wtf is that ugly thing)
AND WHAT IS THE POINT OF THAT COMPASS...I AM SURE THE LOONS ACTUALLY THINK ITS SOMETHING GRAND:rolleyes:

Yeh, the compass was one of those things they advertised when the 3GS came out. I bet 99 out of 100 people will never use it other than seeing what it looks like.

frog_IM

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to see notification changes, and having the weather icon active for example. Not sure we need a major overhaul though, just improvements (similar to how OSX has improved)

DBlanco

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Well said sir. Exactly what I was thinking. Apple has the phone out as it wants it, not the customers

What we need is Apple to stop being Iphone Nazi's. With the way Apple is and there ultimate goal of stopping jailbreaking hince the new new 3GS phones that have tethered jailbreaks. I don't think 4.0 will be what us jailbreakers want. Apple for some reason doesn't want themes or themeing on their phone or flat out customizing. Or they would have made an update along time ago opening the phone up without jailbreaking. They would remove their very strict app store rules. Or just damn let us get Adobe. I just think 4.0 will be a newer looking IPhone with more RAM and a bigger CPU. And a couple odds and ends like Safari download or SMS tones like we can with Ringtones. I'm afraid people that are expecting a 4.0 Iphone thats fully customizable are gonna be really dissappointed. It might be a phone thats alot more secure and alot harder to hack and jailbreak.

Josh

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
It's not about the compass app. I love the compass for maps because I can easily find where I need to go

o the compass inside maps is amazing i use it all the time when on the road for turn by turns but the app is pointless i would love to remove the app but keep functionality of the compass.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I think it will stay pretty much the same as 3.0. If Apple decides to go multitasking, that's where we'll see the biggest UI change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Software-wise, there isn't much to do. I like the widgets on Android and that would be nice to have, but again, that's in the realm of multitasking.