iPhone OS 4.0 - Complete UI Overhaul?

Are you expecting a complete UI overhaul when the 4.0 software is released?

• Yes - I'm getting bored...

Votes: 93 66.4%
  • No - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Votes: 47 33.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
you will never see a complete overhaul. the basic interface design was done once they opened up the APIs to developers

they can't change the icon size without breaking existing icons. they can't change the transparency without breaking programs. they can't change the resolution without breaking programs.

most of all, you train users to get used to icons in certain places, certain colors, etc. they can't change this without annoying > 95% of their users.

the same old basic UI will be around for years. Apple spent years designing it, they're not just going to throw it out.

It will happen - sooner or later. They will eventually have to move forward or they will eventually end up with a very dated device. Whether they bring out a completely new device with a fresh UI or not. It's just something that will have to be done.

Last edited:

Razelus

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I'd just like to be able to change my themes. If they sold them in the app store I'd buy them. That was part of the allure of jailbreaking to me because it's one thing to have the same model phone as everyone else but another thing to turn on the screen and be like "whoa" that looks nice! I do like the flow of the UI so I don't want that to change but I'm sure if Apple decides to change whatever I trust it will look nice. Function nice, who knows...

antonioj

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Jeremy hit the nail with this thread. The current UI looks already dated when compared with the latest builds of WebOS, Android/Sense UI from HTC, and specially MAEMO 5 on the Nokia n900

YouTube - Nokia N900 hands-on

Mind you, the 3GS has more or less the same powerfull hardware that is inside the n900.

Current springboard looks too much static, notifications system suck (if you?ll have plenty of push notification enabled apps you?ll quickly see that), not to mention lack of themes, multitasking.

What i expect:

New notification system
Limited multitasking - control is specially required for low memory devices pre-
GS
Coverflow for app switching
Themes
Some sort of widgets: live weather and live time icons, etc
Display of information on lockscreen (PIM, etc)
etc

The competition is improving, big time, so Apple can?t afford to remain static. Fact is, right now, the iPhone UI has lost it?s tech edge...

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Jeremy hit the nail with this thread. The current UI looks already dated when compared with the latest builds of WebOS, Android/Sense UI from HTC, and specially MAEMO 5 on the Nokia n900

YouTube - Nokia N900 hands-on

Mind you, the 3GS has more or less the same powerfull hardware that is inside the n900.

Current springboard looks too much static, notifications system suck (if you?ll have plenty of push notification enabled apps you?ll quickly see that), not to mention lack of themes, multitasking.

What i expect:

New notification system
Limited multitasking - control is specially required for low memory devices pre-
GS
Coverflow for app switching
Themes
Some sort of widgets: live weather and live time icons, etc
Display of information on lockscreen (PIM, etc)
etc

The competition is improving, big time, so Apple can?t afford to remain static. Fact is, right now, the iPhone UI has lost it?s tech edge...

Notifications are poor and from people I've spoken with at Apple they are well aware of the other competing operating systems out there and how they handle notifications. We can expect changes in the near future in that regard.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
they might " pretty it up " but the UI design will still be the same.

ex - dock on macs have a reflection on the bottom of the icons. that was something that was added in later versions of OS X.

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
The icons thing is very stale and very unorganized. The lockscreen is useless. Yes it needs and overhaul but It will not come.

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't need an overhaul per se but it does need the ability to create folders for those of us who install tons of apps and also the ability to do your own themes would be nice but I see why Apple does not want that since they want standardization on the phone.

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I see MANY possibilities for the IPhone to overtake the clumsy PC. The TECHNO is ALREADY HERE. But I think we the public are NOT ready for it. It would BLOW our minds. two or three years ago who would have thought one would be sending live stream vid's over hand held phones ? Now with SAT connections NOTHING is left to the imagination. 30 years ago the micro-wave was FREAKING people out.

italianangel8131

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
yes keep it colorful i like the bright attractivness of it. just make it more ofv what it already is and what ever other phone is not (this post makes no sense)

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I think the iPhone UI is perfect. I don't like complicated today screens or jumbled icons on the screen. I like having all of my applications in front of me. None hidden. The whole concept of if just having icons representing applications is awesome. All of the other smartphone devices seem to have followed suit but have not gotten it exactly right.

The_strain

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to see an Iphone 4G and an Iphone 4G PRO. The Pro having a completely different interphase and a keyboard, it would be more or a workers phone.( also the ui should be more in depth and "harder" to use) While the 4G keeps the same UI and no keyboard. Cause lets face is power users like myself sometimes find the ui too easy and just no detailed enough...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner