iPhone OS 4.0 - Complete UI Overhaul?

Are you expecting a complete UI overhaul when the 4.0 software is released?

• Yes - I'm getting bored...

Votes: 93 66.4%
  • No - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Votes: 47 33.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Fact - The iPhone is two years old. Do you think by the time the 4.0 software is released the user interface (UI) will be in need of a complete overhaul? Or are you perfectly content on having the same old look on your phone?

Yes, I am well aware of winterboard and jailbreaking but the overhaul I am expecting is well past anything winterboard will allow you to do.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I'd like a few changes. For example, themes, choices for sms tones, and different tone choices if you have multiple email accounts on your device; to name a few...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yes, I'd like a few changes. For example, themes, choices for sms tones, and different tone choices if you have multiple email accounts on your device; to name a few...

I have very good reason to believe by the time 4.0 is dropped we will see many changes.

ben_jamin

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
I would love to see an overhaul. The ui is great now but it can always be better. Better themes and having a choice to change tones. Is that really hard to do? How about hi def? Flash? Can anybody say htc hero?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't foresee an overhaul coming at this point. Will it have enhancements? Sure, hopefully some more customizations and the like, but I don't expect to see a brand new UI.

warrior321

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
two years, 5 iphone OS devices, countless firmware updates, yet the same basic ui and homescreen...its frking awesome how we can access everything with literally one tap but i wish apple would change it up cuz im getting bored of it...and yes we DEFINITELY need customization options...i would like it but i dont see it anytime soon tho:(

PastorGadget

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
One thing that I'd like to see is a setting to name your various screens and then a checkmark interface to assign the various apps to that screen. So if you named the home Home you would then have a list of all the apps and put a mark next to all the apps you want on home. Then if you name the second screen Games, you could check all the games for that. That way you have one screen to rearrange apps. Current system is a pain.

gary_gnu

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
you cant possibly expect to tempt us and not share more!! LOL:p

He saw a little birdy in his crystal ball. It signaled to him with semaphor flags that a guy it knows has a brother who spoke directly to Steve Jobs' chiropractor who says that iPhone 4.0 will be vastly improved.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
i don't think overhaul is the right word. i'd like to see some theme changes, but keep the ease of use..

Ease of use will always be there with the iPhone. But the way things are handled will be changed drastically. Or I should say should be changed. Especially the way notifications come across.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
i don't think a complete overhaul is in order but def. some tweaks like allow themes or even minor tweaks to interface, allow us to delete that damn stocks application haah.

and i would like to see it refreshed i would love to see an interface like that on leopard with the dock the way it is. (i know there are jailbreak themes) but to be able to really make it a mini mac would be awesome.

i guess i just really want more options to configure the device without jailbreaking.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
man I definitely think a complete overhaul is needed..
all you people saying it isn't needed are ruining our chances.. the iPhone OS UI is really stale.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I hope that if they do change the UI that it will feel at least familiar. I don't want to have to relearn where everything is. I'd rather see more features, more choices and more customisation, all on a familiar platform.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I absolutely don't mind relearning. I want an active homescreen more similar to a desktop OS, or Android.
I am not the kind of person who has their desktop covered with icons, I hide them and I access programs from the start menu.

I think that not having apps on the home screen doesn't make it any harder to access them. We have spotlight now .. Put the search bar on the top of the main home screen and you can tap it to bring up the keyboard, that would be good.

btown11

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I would love an overhaul.. I think if Apple wants to keep innovating they need to change everything around a bit.

i tend to agree that iPhone OS is getting a bit stale for those of us who have had them for 2 years. however, apple is not a company that makes landmark changes very often. take the iPod for instance, it hasn't changed its UI basically ever. in addition, Mac OS X hasn't changed its basic feel since 10.2.. i think its HIGHLY doubtful that iPhone OS sees big changes for a while..

AcBc

May 8, 2009
Visit site
I dont' know if i'm "expecting" anything, but now that push notifications are live. Apple really needs to do something about the stupid blue box badge as notifications. Swallow your pride and take a hint from the Pre. If i get a text, an email (which doesn't give you any notification unless you unlock), twitter push, and an IM sent to my phone all before i get a chance to unlock, i want to see on the unlock screen everything in que. Especially with twitter push, since it can only push every 2 minutes or so, if i get multiple tweets i can only see the last one since any new push notification obliterates the last.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
you will never see a complete overhaul. the basic interface design was done once they opened up the APIs to developers

they can't change the icon size without breaking existing icons. they can't change the transparency without breaking programs. they can't change the resolution without breaking programs.

most of all, you train users to get used to icons in certain places, certain colors, etc. they can't change this without annoying > 95% of their users.

the same old basic UI will be around for years. Apple spent years designing it, they're not just going to throw it out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal