Is there gonna be a brand new iPhone in 2010?

anjo

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Apple launched iPhone 3GS last month. I'm a bit disappointed that it looks exactly the same as iPhone 3G? Do you think there's gonna be a new iPhone coming out next year with a different look and design?

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I still think the current 3GS form factor is appealling but I believe Apple will improve on it but I doubt anything drastic. I'm hoping for an update to allow BT keyboards to work on the iPhone so there's no temptation to add a physical keyboard to the design.

tchaves

May 15, 2009
Visit site
I keep hoping next year will be a design overhaul. Not that I don't love the way 3G / 3G S looks, I would just love to see a real _new_ iPhone.

djbbox

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
i dont think the desing will change much cinse is flawless compared to other phones maybe they`ll add a front facing camera for video conference calls i think this will be a popular feature and maybe a bigger screen not that big like 4" maybe

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
New iPhone, yes. New design, no. iPods are pretty much the same after almost a decade. There isn't much you can change on a device that is all screen.

Prospekt#IM

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm hoping they come out with a more similar design to the original 2g iPhone, but its unlikely IMO to see any changes to the front screen area.

mth785

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
I don't think there is much that Apple can do to it physically, the screen has to remain the same size so all the apps will still work.

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking new 1GHz processors and maybe 512 RAM? That would be good enough for me haha. maybe too much. OS upgrade is likely as well.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
the screen has to remain the same size so all the apps will still work.
Technically, no it doesn't. Look at movies for an example. I really doubt they will though. This is a company that goes smaller, not larger. Resolution may increase but the aspect ratio will stay the same allowing older apps to still work.

Why I think that the screen size could change, turn your phone on its side in the mail app. Now imagine the screen being bigger when you turn it back. Everything adjusts itself in the main bars again.

The content may not work perfectly, granted, but Apple could always do the black bar thing in apps that don't work right. I doubt they'd allow black bars in one of their products.

I can see a tablet allowing multitasking and you can run the exact same apps in different parts of the screen, even overlapping them. the apps look like they do on the phone, just not filling the screen completely and with an outline and title bar you can drag with.

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
> Resolution may increase but the aspect ratio will stay the same allowing older apps to still work.

With enough processing power, this no longer matters.

Its seriously time for a makeover in the OS as well as the device. With all the advancement in graphics processors Apple can start taking advantage of the improvements seen in things like KDE, Compiz, etc, and get away from the concept of "Pages".

Resizing an app to fit in such an environment isn't something the programmer even has to think about.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't think there is much that Apple can do to it physically, the screen has to remain the same size so all the apps will still work.

There have been many fantastic mockups that prove otherwise.. With Jobs back at the helm trust me.. there will be an amazing new phone in the horizon. iChat, HD.. etc etc... :D

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I still think the current 3GS form factor is appealling but I believe Apple will improve on it but I doubt anything drastic. I'm hoping for an update to allow BT keyboards to work on the iPhone so there's no temptation to add a physical keyboard to the design.
That won't eliminate the want for a physical keyboard. Who wants to hold the phone and hold the keyboard, does anyone here have 3 hands? Unless someone makes a bluetooth case with a slide-out keyboard embedded, that wont be useful for most people.

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
New iPhone, yes. New design, no. iPods are pretty much the same after almost a decade. There isn't much you can change on a device that is all screen.

I'd have to disagree with that.
Even though the iPod has kept the same basic design, there has been a change in is for each generation.

1359746904_23a85eaecb.jpg

It might be a simplistic change, but there has been a continued improvement on the design.
Just like the 2G to 3G change. Super small change, but IMO an improvement.

I think there will be a revamped design on the 2010 iPhone, since the 3GS didn't change at all.

And regarding your last statement "There isn't much you can change on a device that is all screen."...there is plenty to change. Look at all of the other "iPhone Killers". They all have basically the same size screen, but completely different casing. I don't think Apple will change the design completely, but I do think they'll rescuplt it some.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Regarding the camera - I recall seeing a phone with a camera that would rotate from back facing to front facing.

Would this be more advantageous, cheaper, or more flexible than having two cameras?

Chris

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I'd have to disagree with that.
Even though the iPod has kept the same basic design, there has been a change in is for each generation.

1359746904_23a85eaecb.jpg

It might be a simplistic change, but there has been a continued improvement on the design.
Just like the 2G to 3G change. Super small change, but IMO an improvement.

I think there will be a revamped design on the 2010 iPhone, since the 3GS didn't change at all.

And regarding your last statement "There isn't much you can change on a device that is all screen."...there is plenty to change. Look at all of the other "iPhone Killers". They all have basically the same size screen, but completely different casing. I don't think Apple will change the design completely, but I do think they'll rescuplt it some.

Those iPods are all the same dude. Screen and wheel. The Mini, Nano, Shuffle, Touch are different models. But the "iPod" is still the same, especially generations 3 to now. All the other iClones out there, so the plastic case has slightly different contours, they are the same; a screen and plastic back. A "design change" is like when the iMac went from white with the globe base to all being behind the screen.

Last edited: