N00b moment of panic, and then relief: an iPhone restore tale

fridayxiii

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I got my 3G S on July 2, and love my iPhone more by the day. I've loaded up 40+ apps, all my contacts, wallpapers, yada yada. It's been a perfect relationship so far, all honeymoon. :D

So tonight I saw the notice of 3.0.1 and figure I'll upgrade. First, the firmware download fails via iTunes three or four times. Then, the extract & install begins, and fails. I get a pretty picture of a USB cable on my iPhone, and an iTunes CD graphic. I shut down & restart iTunes only to be greeted by a message that I need to restore my iPhone. :eek: No, please no. I foresaw everything being wiped, and getting only my apps back via sync.

But much to my surprise, glee, and total relief: everything was restored to my iPhone *whew*. All contacts, wallpapers, notes, my pics in Picture Safe - hell, even my career progress in AC-130 & Ferrari Evolution - was restored! Can't tell you how relieved I am. But also, on the flip side, I'm a tad freaked cuz I now know how totally reliant I am on, and addicted to, my iPhone.

Props to the Apple developers for making the iPhone backup & restore via iTunes as total & complete as one could ever want. :D

PS: if there's a sticky somewhere on these forums for iPhone noobs, one tip might be: fear not if ye must restore, for all your content shall reappear. ;)

Steve-O

Banned
Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
It's the fear I get every time I plug iPhone into my laptop! Holding off on updating to 3.0.1 at the mo for that reason (& also because I'm too lazy to re-jailbreak)!

siddfinch

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
I had a jailbroken 3G, but after dealing with the updates and re-jailbreaks, I just wiped the damn thing and left it as Apple intended. Too much hassle to baby it when jailbroken.

liam27

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
That's pretty strange. I just did literally the same thing. Installed the new software update (which, considering the size of it, barely seems worth it?!) - and it crashed on me. I thought I had lost everything... luckily, same as you, everything was still there.
Even all my texts, photos, settings... everything. Very thankful to Apple for having such a good restore system, because I can assure you, I cacked my pants when the software update bodged up...!!