1. amg's Avatar
    I'm running into a recurring problem with Exchange sync on my 3GS. I currently have my phone set up to sync email via push from my company's Exchange 2007 server. Typically, there is no issue receiving mail on what appears to be a realtime basis. However, there are many instances where the phone simply stops receiving via push. In those instances, opening up the mail app triggers a manual sync, which reveals messages that never got pushed out. Toggling my push settings, data connection, flight mode, etc. does not help to reinstate push. Only rebooting the phone works.

    I have jailbroken the phone using purplera1n - but the problem was ocurring in the same manner even beforehand (i.e., I don't attribute the problem to jailbreaking).

    While I can't figure out, for sure, the problem, it seems like either (a) the heartbeat between phone and server is being dropped (and only able to be reestablished after a reboot), or (b) the mail app is not properly running in the background to receive the push.

    Has anyone had a similar experience with thoughts as to how to fix?

    Many thanks!!!!

    AMG
    07-31-2009 03:35 PM
  2. alokeprasad's Avatar
    I see this too. I think this happens when the phone is connected via wifi as well as ATT. I could be wrong.

    Someone suggested disabling wifi as a fix. I haven't tried it ,myself.
    07-31-2009 03:39 PM
  3. amg's Avatar
    I remember hearing something about WiFi but that doesn't seem to be the issue. It can happen while at home, constantly on my own WiFi router, or at work where I use 3G and disable WiFi
    07-31-2009 03:41 PM
  4. flyingember's Avatar
    Since manual connection works I bet it's not either the heartbeat. That is re-set by connecting the phone. It's probably on the phone.

    have you tried either
    removing the exchange email entry and replacing it?
    wiping and restoring the phone?

    if it's not that then the Exchange server activesync is likely broken somehow.
    07-31-2009 03:49 PM
  5. amg's Avatar
    Although I tend to use WiFi only at home, it is usually on 100% of the time (although I've turned off the request to connect to new networks). Today, for the first time, I just turned WiFi off altogether... and things DO seem to be more stable.

    I'm tempted to just turn on WiFi when I really need it (heavy download/streaming or access on my home network) and use AT&T most of the time. A mild annoyance, but far better than relying on push and having it die quietly...

    Wondering what about the way the connection is being established is causing this problem...
    08-05-2009 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD