Non-Jailbreakers

rocketcuse#IM

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
I admit, I was hesitant to JB the first time. I read all the cons (complaints) and said it wasn't for me. Having seen a JB iPhone first hand and what it could do, I jumped. Then I restored back to factory. On my 3G 8GB 2.x OS phone it lagged a lot. I couldn't take it anymore.

My co-worker (different from above) JB his 3G 8 GB 3.x OS phone and said I had to try it again. He was the same way, JB 2.x OS and restored. Its been what...2 months since the 3.x OS JB? Been loving it ever since. Virtually no lag. Only lag I get is from SMS if I have a large message history.

Best of all, SBSettings. Quicly turn options on and off, able to remove uneeded apps from memory. This should be a default App.

Keep in mind, if you JB and use Winterboard, choose your themes wisely. Some themes have high resolution images, with video and icon sets reaching up to 500. Themes can slow your iPhone down. I do have a theme, running with no lag, but I created it and only created icons for the apps I use.

** Oh yeah, for the one who posted about Virus/Spyware. That applies to a NON-JB iPhone as well. The SMS virus affects both JB and NON-JB iPhones.

Last edited:

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I need to revise my original vote. Initially I was a non-jailbreaker cuz I was dully impressed my iPhone the way it is/was. I still do. But I freed my 3GS tonite, and so far totally love it. I can respect those who don't, but doing the jailbreak really does open up a whole new world. If you use the right files & tutorial steps here you can't go wrong, and this is from one that had issues getting 3.0.1 installed LOL.

Straight up. I think most people are frightened and that is why they don't or won't do it. I was one of the frightened ones. but man when they made slingplayer a wifi only app that pissed me off to no end. I thought I'd go bonkers with anger. That is what pushed me over the edge, AT&T and their wacked out tacky ass network.

Once I did JB I was like OMG SBettings, why isn't that an app in the app store? ToneFX, why can't I do that on my stock phone? Even WM let you set up different tones for SMS, email, v-mail, and calendars!

What, I can't customize my lockscreen beyond a wallpaper? Are you kidding all that freakin wasted space, seriously? It doesn't show calendar, email, sms, weather, are you kidding?

Now, I JB on principle and Apple and AT&T make it easier to justify every day with all their foolishness.

AttaQ

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I guess it's already been said, but I'll throw in my $0.02 in case people are just jumping in at the end of the thread.

I have a new 3GS and have not jailbroken. At this time I don't have a need to - I am impressed with the things I can do and am not into switching themes and things like that. Also, I can't say that I am a 'power user' at this point who really NEEDS to have the ability to do everything that is out there. I would rather have the phone be as solid and trouble-free as possible at this point.

However, some of the things you can do after jailbreaking, like using backgrounder and SBSettings, are very attractive. I would not rule out JB at some point in the future if/when I get bored with the phone or find that I really really NEED a functionality that can only be achieved through jailbreak.

Thomas843

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm getting ready to switch from a BB to an iphone and have no interest in jailbreaking. I look forward to having a phone where I dont have to worry about constant OS upgrades that are buggy, memory loss and so on....

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Scared that my info won't be as safe as it is now!

That is a valid concern, mine is more of I have better things to do then to keep up with when can I install a new update and no worry about bricking the iPhone. Also how do I know I can trust the dev team? They are probably trust worthy in this respect but how do I know they are not adding a back door into all jailbroken iPhones... All you need is one bad Apple in the bunch...

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Dont feel the need to jailbreak on the iphone 3gS. The 1st 2 generations I had jailbroke, but the only things I jailbroke my phone for was copy and patse, video recording, and themes. Now that I have the 3gS I have all those things but themes. I dont really miss not changing the theme at all. A small benefit is I dont have to wait for a jailbreak update to come out if Apple gives us an update. It's not like it's all the time, but it feels good to be able to just sit down hook up my phone and update without any problems, or waiting. I'm perfectly happy with not jailbreaking my phone.

vnairborn

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
JB

Here's a few reasons Apple stands where it does on jailbreaking

Crashes & instability
Malfunctioning & safety
Invasion of privacy
Exposing children to age-inappropriate content
Viruses & malware*
Inability to update software
Cellular network impact*
Piracy of developers? applications*
Instability of developers? applications*
Increased support burden*
Developer relationships
The Apple/iPhone brand*
Limitation on ability to innovate

thanks- nery nice

BENGRIMM

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I tryed it and my phone just locked up all the time , so I came back from the dark side . I did love what could be done tho .

DocGo

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
I did it once with my 3GS but when the newer OS came out, I decided to stick with what Apple meant the iPhone to be. It is more stable.
Now, my old spare 3G will probably be jailbroken so I can unlock it to use when I go overseas.

juls1585

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
I jailbroke my first gen and I loved it. I haven't jailbroken my 3g yet. The warrenty is up though so I may try sometime when I have time.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
Does it actually void your warranty? Can't u just restore it and take it back to the Apple store?

i tried the jailbreak scene. just didn't work out for me. kept sitting there looking like a black brick. looked so sad and empty, so i went back to default.

and technically, yes, it does void your warranty. but like you said, a simple restore will wipe any indication that you did a jailbreak. i can't imagine someone taking their jailbroken phone into an Apple store. ouch! restore solves most every problem (for me at least).

wgary

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
This has been a very interesting conversation. I am also a WinMo refugee. (I bought my wife a Touch and after a couple minutes with it knew I had to get an iPhone.) There I regularly flashed, and got comfortable with it. But the stories of bricking with an update are pretty scary. How real are they?

I do like the idea of running things in the background. What is the impact of that, though? This was always an issue with WinMo where no matter how much memory you had, things would start closing--always without notice. So I'm thinking my GPS will tell my the next turn... only to check and it magically closed at some point! How does this work with the iPhone? How many open? Does the OS do memory management?

Also, is backgrounding a part of the 3.x update roadmap?

I also like the idea of freeing Sling from the confines of WiFi. I could sling over 3G on my WinMo and it seems crazy that I can't from my iPhone. It's not like I can't stream from other sources. Why single out Sling?

madmak

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
This has been a very interesting conversation. I am also a WinMo refugee. (I bought my wife a Touch and after a couple minutes with it knew I had to get an iPhone.) There I regularly flashed, and got comfortable with it. But the stories of bricking with an update are pretty scary. How real are they?

I do like the idea of running things in the background. What is the impact of that, though? This was always an issue with WinMo where no matter how much memory you had, things would start closing--always without notice. So I'm thinking my GPS will tell my the next turn... only to check and it magically closed at some point! How does this work with the iPhone? How many open? Does the OS do memory management?

Also, is backgrounding a part of the 3.x update roadmap?

I also like the idea of freeing Sling from the confines of WiFi. I could sling over 3G on my WinMo and it seems crazy that I can't from my iPhone. It's not like I can't stream from other sources. Why single out Sling?

the bricking stories are exaggerated. you can always do a restore from DFU mode (unless you brick your phone and break the USB connector at the same time).

on the 3GS, you have around 160MB of free RAM after the kernel loads up. That gives you a lot of space to run background apps. There is a youtube video where a guy has 2 big games and 4 other apps backgrounded without any noticeable delay.

I dont think Apple will allow backgrounded apps anytime soon. They have made a huge investment in Push notifications and so has the entire ecosystem (app developers).

wgary

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
@madmak
Thanks for your reply. What is "DFU mode"?
Also, what happens if memory is full? Will it crash? Or what? Will GPS run in the background?

This seems really intriguing, but I really don't miss all the tweaking and finagling I had to do on my Fuze just to get the d*mn thing almost working. Having something that "just works" right out of the box is really refreshing. My fear is that JB will take me back into WinMo-like hell, where things are never working together quite right, and one wrong move can put you back on square one. I spent way too much time trying to get my Fuze to work right.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods