I hate spyware and I can see jail breaking software eventually getting some
    I'm the 100th reply! Reward?
    And yes I agree.
    09-19-2009 06:11 AM
    I had mine jailbroken, but I found it too unstable, especially with Winterboard installed.

Plus, with all the updates coming from Apple, I prefer to use those instead of waiting on a new release of YellowSnow or whatever.
    09-19-2009 06:30 AM
    I can see BOTH sides of the issue. JB or Don't JB. I think it's a matter of personal preference. If you want to live on the edge and be FREE from Corp or other controlling sources, JB. If you prefer living under other's rules and regs, Don't JB. Either way YOU the individual will be HAPPY. It's really NOT a universal issue. It comes down to PERSONAL preference. Apple, A T & T, MicroSoft and other Corps, They ALL don't like outsiders tinkering with their product. It CUTS into CORP PROFITS. Yet when I purchase their product, it's NOT A LEASE. It's PAID for...Therefore it becomes MY property, to do with what I wish. IGoSlo
    09-19-2009 09:00 AM
    I am happy with the way my iPhone is (except I should have gone with the 32gb ver)plus like many others have said re-jailbreaking everytime an update comes out is a PITA, plus the possibility of bricking my phone have lead me to keep mine stock.
    09-19-2009 09:08 AM
    I agree chobbs1. Better than 1/2 the posts are for "HELP". That's what I thought this blog was about. Sharing ideas, mistakes, soultions, dealing with issues, gathering information in order to make Responsible and Educated decisions. I LOOK at it as an Educational Tool. Others see it as a "DUMPING hole", while others use it as a networking tool. I enjoy the Education and networking tools and info I am privvy to. MOST conversations and Posts are quite rewarding and informational. One needs to be able to SIFT through the garbage and Keep the best. IGoSlo
    09-19-2009 09:14 AM
    I debated for a month after purchasing my first iPhone (3gs) and I must say I don't know how I used it for so long non-jailbroken. It is amazing what can be done with the phone not locked down. My phone runs great, I run SBSettings, and Bosspaper (staying away from Winterboard as I've heard it can cause battery and performance issues). I haven't felt the need to upgrade to 3.1 as I have had MMS since day one up here in Canada. I read a quote on here regarding jailbreaking and it couldn't be more true.

"Not jailbreaking is like keeping a tiger locked in a cage"
    09-19-2009 10:17 AM
    I had my 3GS jailbroken before, but like someone said in this thread, with all the constant updates Apple brings out for the iPhone, I'm gonna keep my iPhone at factory default until I feel I have everything I want on my phone. Either way, I buy all my apps and when I had cydia, I didn't put any themes or things like that on the phone, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.
    09-19-2009 11:18 AM
    I didn't jailbreak over the last two OS pushes, but I think as soon as a jailbreak comes live for 3.1 I'll be joining that crowd. Winterboard and an app that can hide default icons just sounds far too handy not to have.

Reasons I haven't jailbroken yet? No need to, in my opinion. Just like with my Blackberry though, it seems I've finally gotten the itch.
    09-19-2009 06:01 PM
    I did not say half the posts are "help". I said over half the "help" posts are from jailbreakers. I am using this information to make my decision.
    09-19-2009 09:40 PM
    I too like others am happy with iphone the way it is...murphys law will get me too!
    09-20-2009 10:30 AM
    Still under warranty. Steve Jobs would get mad at me
    09-21-2009 12:28 AM
    That's what I'm talkin' about.....
    09-21-2009 07:33 AM
    I had it jailbroken at one time then went back to normal. It seemed a little slower than the "normal" stage. The only thing I really miss is the SBS settings.
    09-21-2009 06:55 PM
    I also have no issues with my iPhone. I like it the way it is. I doubt that I would ever mess with. And jailbreak for what? I don't see any benefit to doping it.
    09-26-2009 09:07 AM
    I like the warranty I paid out the *** for.
    09-26-2009 12:26 PM
    I like the warranty I paid out the *** for.
    You can always restore as new.
    09-26-2009 12:28 PM
    Good point.
    09-26-2009 02:03 PM
    Don't see the need. The extremely few times where the lack of multitasking is an issue, I can live with.
    09-26-2009 02:36 PM
    Yeah but what if....

Okay you win :P But still something about it makes me feel uneasy :\
    09-26-2009 03:37 PM
    i love all these n00b resposes, jailbreak will make your life easy..
    09-26-2009 04:58 PM
    I don't beleive you
    09-26-2009 06:07 PM
    I don't beleive you
    & LOL & I've gone back a few posts on this issue and Question ??? & LOL What are you baseing that statement on ? There is NOT enough information listed for one to "REASONABLY" come to the conclusion that an Individual would NOT be truthful. I hope you don't base "ALL" your decisions on such Light hearted thought...IGoSlo P.S. I know you are NOT a FAN of JB'ing but in SOME instances my JB phone HAS made my life simplier...If that's what you are referring to.
    09-26-2009 06:40 PM
    I jailbroke back around 2.2. When I updated, I never bothered to do it again. I don't find any of the unauthorized applications appealing to me. I need nothing from it. My iPhone 3G is fine just the way it is.
    09-26-2009 07:06 PM
    At the studio I work at, I have a 3Gs Jailbroken and two of my coworkers both have a Jailbroken 3G. I used to have the 3G and it was jailbroken but I'll tell ya what, from messing with my 3Gs and their 3G's back to back and my old 3G, I don't know if I could deal with a jailbroken 3G anymore, way too slow in my opinion. The 3Gs is, for me, a whole different story and was built to run jailbroken. For me, my themed out the 3Gs doesn't really lag at all, and if does, it's because I have MLB at bat, Tom Tom, Sportacular, and Facebook all running at the same time, and even then it's not that noticeable.

I "can" understand why someone wouldn't jailbreak. The technicality of it if they are not computer savvy, the slowness on the 3G, they like what apple has chosen for them, or feels like jailbreaking is illegal and don't want to tread there. But I also see a lot of misconceptions with it also.

One misconception is there is nothing "there" for me: someone would always find something if they tried: real time info on your lock screen, a weather icon that is real time, themeing {themeing is not just a looks thing, it bring greater functionality}, Better camera options, true multitasking, etc......

Another is Warranty Voiding: As someone who has taken two iphones back for physical defects, I can tell you this is not a worry if fully restored.

A big one is that It's unstable: That was very true before the 3.0 update but does not exist much anymore. I remember installing stuff before 3.0 that would brick my phone to the point where I had to restore ( a ton of times ) to get back up and running. Not once since the 3.0 update have I had, or seen, and bricked iphone caused by jailbreaking. 99 percent of errors/problems I have seen with jailbroken iphones is caused by human error due to someone doing/trying something they have no understanding of. Ya, I have had my phone not like what was done/installed for cydia but it'll just boot to "safe mode" where I can uninstall what I just installed and I'm back up and running like normal.

And there is also the "It's a hassle to Jailbreak every time there is an update": Maybe it's just me but from start to finish I can fully restore my iphone, update, rejailbreak and have everything I had before the restore up and running in (much less ) then an hour. Too me, that is neither long nor a hassle given the added functionality.

That being said, I'm not trying to tell people who don't jailbreak they are silly, that's their choice and who am I to condemn them for it. I'm just chiming in with a different perspective. At this point (and looking forward), I couldn't see myself without it.
    Last edited by futurecode; 09-26-2009 at 08:43 PM.
    09-26-2009 07:10 PM
    Lol! That was a good reply. I have come a long way from when I first started reading these forums. I was a staunch beleiver that JB'ing was Illegal and troublesome for the rest of the Iphoners. Now...I still do not have enough tech Davy to venture into it but if you want to be my guest and I do not care. I still will not JB my phone...ever. I like it the way it is. It just works and I rarely have problems. I can update without extra steps and if something goes wrong I never have to restore to take it in. So, have your fun and I'll have my peace of mind.
    09-26-2009 07:41 PM
153 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD