@ foster. Thank you for your post.
    08-06-2009 06:50 PM
    Personally, as many others have said before me in this thread, I came to the iPhone from a Windows Mobile, Palm and Blackberry background. I installed hacked ROMs on my Treo 750, AT&T Treo 750, 8125 and 8925 WM phones, installed beta OS's on my Curve and Bold, and even messed around a little with my Treo 650 a while back. That doesn't include the Pocket PC PDA's that I played around with, too.

All in all, all of the devices were eventually reformatted or restored to original, stock ROMs or OS's because of the numerous issues the devices had while "hacked."

My WM devices crashed on a regular basis, or locked up, and my Blackberries had memory leaks the size of the hole in the Titanic. They just never functioned as the manufacturer intended them to.

Now, I am no Apple fanboy, by any means, but the phone, as mentioned before also, just works. I have not found anything that I need it to do that it can't do (other than Flash, but that in itself is a huge security hole), either right from the box or with an app. Sure the device isn't open to installing any app we want, from any hack..oops..developer we find on the net, but how many untrusted apps did WM users install over the lifetime of their devices and got hosed because of it.

As people that have jailbroken their phones find it useful, good for all of you, but trying to convince me that it is good for me is useless. I can't imagine how many people go to Apple stores on a daily basis and try to return jailbroken phones to Apple because they are having problems with them.

I read a post the other day where the OP stated that he couldn't wait to get himself and his girlfriend a pair of new 3GS phones and jailbreak them right out of the box, like it was going to change his and her lives somehow.

But like I said, good luck to all of you that have jailbroken and love it. I will not be doing it, and see no reason why I should in the present or the future.
    08-06-2009 11:03 PM
    Jailbreaking is the best. I listen to streaming radio apps and get annoyed when I have to disconnect from the server to do simple things like answer a text or check my email. Backgrounder allows you to run the app and you can close it and do whatever else. Also iReal SMS is the worth jailbreaking alone. I was hoping 3.0 would implement quick reply and quick send but they didn't. This app allows you to respond to text messages from within any app so you don't Jane to shut them down, again very annoying. Also you can send or reply from your lockscreen. Not to mention you can call up someone from the lockscreen without having to type in your passcode every time.

You guys should try it, if you don't like it you could allows restore and get a brand new phone.
    08-07-2009 02:26 AM
    When I first bought my 3GS, I jailbroke it just because I could, and so I could say I successfully did it.

But, after about 24 hours of use, I didn't see the point. Sometimes Cydia would lock up, and for no apparent reason. The only real thing I liked about being jailbroken was themes, i.e. Winterboard...
    08-07-2009 07:55 AM
    You can download a free program from the Apple ap store called Pixelpipe. Then download PPVideoEnabler from Cydia. Record a video using Cycorder on your 3G and upload to Facebook, Twitter or a dozen other sites via Pixelpipe. That totally removed my need to upgrade to a 3GS at this point. Jailbreaking is fun.
    08-07-2009 08:24 AM
    Hi everyone, nice to be part of the community!
    08-07-2009 09:53 PM
    The only reason I've done mine is for winterboard.
    08-07-2009 10:07 PM
    I have no issues the way it is now. Really have no need or desire to.
    ^^^took the words outta my mouth
    08-07-2009 10:08 PM
    I need to revise my original vote. Initially I was a non-jailbreaker cuz I was dully impressed my iPhone the way it is/was. I still do. But I freed my 3GS tonite, and so far totally love it. I can respect those who don't, but doing the jailbreak really does open up a whole new world. If you use the right files & tutorial steps here you can't go wrong, and this is from one that had issues getting 3.0.1 installed LOL.
    08-08-2009 12:04 AM
    Jailbreaking does not void your warranty! All you have to do is restore the phone and Apple has no way of knowing. If they ask why the phone was wiped, tell them you thought a restore might fix it. I've done this, it works.

Warranty issues are not a valid reason to avoid jailbreaking your Iphone!
    Actually, Apple's own troubleshooting steps is to restore the iPhone first, then seek assistance. Apple will all ready assume you wiped and restored the phone.
    08-08-2009 12:16 PM
    I admit, I was hesitant to JB the first time. I read all the cons (complaints) and said it wasn't for me. Having seen a JB iPhone first hand and what it could do, I jumped. Then I restored back to factory. On my 3G 8GB 2.x OS phone it lagged a lot. I couldn't take it anymore.

My co-worker (different from above) JB his 3G 8 GB 3.x OS phone and said I had to try it again. He was the same way, JB 2.x OS and restored. Its been what...2 months since the 3.x OS JB? Been loving it ever since. Virtually no lag. Only lag I get is from SMS if I have a large message history.

Best of all, SBSettings. Quicly turn options on and off, able to remove uneeded apps from memory. This should be a default App.

Keep in mind, if you JB and use Winterboard, choose your themes wisely. Some themes have high resolution images, with video and icon sets reaching up to 500. Themes can slow your iPhone down. I do have a theme, running with no lag, but I created it and only created icons for the apps I use.

** Oh yeah, for the one who posted about Virus/Spyware. That applies to a NON-JB iPhone as well. The SMS virus affects both JB and NON-JB iPhones.
    Last edited by rocketcuse; 08-08-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: misspelling and missing line
    08-08-2009 12:31 PM
    I need to revise my original vote. Initially I was a non-jailbreaker cuz I was dully impressed my iPhone the way it is/was. I still do. But I freed my 3GS tonite, and so far totally love it. I can respect those who don't, but doing the jailbreak really does open up a whole new world. If you use the right files & tutorial steps here you can't go wrong, and this is from one that had issues getting 3.0.1 installed LOL.

Straight up. I think most people are frightened and that is why they don't or won't do it. I was one of the frightened ones. but man when they made slingplayer a wifi only app that pissed me off to no end. I thought I'd go bonkers with anger. That is what pushed me over the edge, AT&T and their wacked out tacky *** network.

Once I did JB I was like OMG SBettings, why isn't that an app in the app store? ToneFX, why can't I do that on my stock phone? Even WM let you set up different tones for SMS, email, v-mail, and calendars!

What, I can't customize my lockscreen beyond a wallpaper? Are you kidding all that freakin wasted space, seriously? It doesn't show calendar, email, sms, weather, are you kidding?

Now, I JB on principle and Apple and AT&T make it easier to justify every day with all their foolishness.
    08-08-2009 12:47 PM
    I guess it's already been said, but I'll throw in my $0.02 in case people are just jumping in at the end of the thread.

I have a new 3GS and have not jailbroken. At this time I don't have a need to - I am impressed with the things I can do and am not into switching themes and things like that. Also, I can't say that I am a 'power user' at this point who really NEEDS to have the ability to do everything that is out there. I would rather have the phone be as solid and trouble-free as possible at this point.

However, some of the things you can do after jailbreaking, like using backgrounder and SBSettings, are very attractive. I would not rule out JB at some point in the future if/when I get bored with the phone or find that I really really NEED a functionality that can only be achieved through jailbreak.
    08-08-2009 03:03 PM
    I have enough things to deal with in my life, there really is nothing jailbreaking offers that I really need...
    08-10-2009 02:01 AM
    I'm getting ready to switch from a BB to an iphone and have no interest in jailbreaking. I look forward to having a phone where I dont have to worry about constant OS upgrades that are buggy, memory loss and so on....
    08-10-2009 08:27 AM
    Scared that my info won't be as safe as it is now!
    08-10-2009 02:50 PM
    Scared that my info won't be as safe as it is now!

That is a valid concern, mine is more of I have better things to do then to keep up with when can I install a new update and no worry about bricking the iPhone. Also how do I know I can trust the dev team? They are probably trust worthy in this respect but how do I know they are not adding a back door into all jailbroken iPhones... All you need is one bad Apple in the bunch...
    08-10-2009 03:39 PM
    Bought my iPhone factory-unlocked in my country, so no big need to jailbreak it.
    08-10-2009 09:34 PM
    Dont feel the need to jailbreak on the iphone 3gS. The 1st 2 generations I had jailbroke, but the only things I jailbroke my phone for was copy and patse, video recording, and themes. Now that I have the 3gS I have all those things but themes. I dont really miss not changing the theme at all. A small benefit is I dont have to wait for a jailbreak update to come out if Apple gives us an update. It's not like it's all the time, but it feels good to be able to just sit down hook up my phone and update without any problems, or waiting. I'm perfectly happy with not jailbreaking my phone.
    08-11-2009 07:27 PM
    Here's a few reasons Apple stands where it does on jailbreaking

Crashes & instability
    Malfunctioning & safety
    Invasion of privacy
    Exposing children to age-inappropriate content
    Viruses & malware*
    Inability to update software
    Cellular network impact*
    Piracy of developers applications*
    Instability of developers applications*
    Increased support burden*
    Developer relationships
    The Apple/iPhone brand*
    Limitation on ability to innovate
    thanks- nery nice
    08-14-2009 03:51 AM
    I tryed it and my phone just locked up all the time , so I came back from the dark side . I did love what could be done tho .
    08-14-2009 07:41 AM
    I did it once with my 3GS but when the newer OS came out, I decided to stick with what Apple meant the iPhone to be. It is more stable.
    Now, my old spare 3G will probably be jailbroken so I can unlock it to use when I go overseas.
    08-14-2009 09:27 AM
    I jailbroke my first gen and I loved it. I haven't jailbroken my 3g yet. The warrenty is up though so I may try sometime when I have time.
    08-19-2009 11:07 AM
    Does it actually void your warranty? Can't u just restore it and take it back to the Apple store?
    08-19-2009 03:31 PM
    Does it actually void your warranty? Can't u just restore it and take it back to the Apple store?
    i tried the jailbreak scene. just didn't work out for me. kept sitting there looking like a black brick. looked so sad and empty, so i went back to default.

and technically, yes, it does void your warranty. but like you said, a simple restore will wipe any indication that you did a jailbreak. i can't imagine someone taking their jailbroken phone into an Apple store. ouch! restore solves most every problem (for me at least).
    08-19-2009 03:46 PM
153 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD