iPhone OS 4.0 Mockup!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I decided to make a mockup of what I want out of the new operating system.
Things I haven't included yet: Finder, Notification System, Widgets.

Basically this is adjusted to uphold consistency with the Mac OS X Leopard operating system.

Things to note:
  • White dots indicate running applications, as they do in Leopard but this time it's on the bottom right corner inside the icon so as to not cause any visual confusion.
  • The semi-transparent window has been dragged down from the status bar (as indicated by the white streak and the large white dot showing where the finger is). It serves as a place to turn on and off important radios, the app launcher, spotlight search, and one way to launch finder.
  • Apps can be placed on the home screen either in the form of a small widget for certain apps (iPod, Photos, Clock), or a standard resolution (320x480) running app for third party applications, so it would stay running on one of your cyclable home pages.
The screen should be a 720x480 resolution in order to make use of what was last on the list there (320x480 third-part apps running as super widgets).

I will be adding more to this thread!!

iphoneHD401.jpg
iphone4searching.jpg
iphone4filemenu.jpg

UPDATE: In this new image I have pictured what it would be like to search.
I've taken the suggestion of some of you and taken out the "finder" app altogether because yes, it is true that all of the functions of a finder can be done within the spotlight search menu.

Specifics: You can filter for any of the general things spotlight can search for and modify the filters how you want. The filters are the 5 dividers that sit on top of the search results.

When you see a document with the quick Office icon beside it (as is shown in this picture), that means that by default that file has been altered to open in quick office. You can long-press on any file to share, open with a different application (if another application that claims to open that filetype is available on the device), or copy.

Last edited:
Reactions: big9erfan

snakes2003g

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
another thing i wish they would make happen is when i change the sounds for ringtones for my contacts why shouldn't it change that ringtone sound to when they text me as well? cause then i will know who it is texting me before i even go to pick my phone up.

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Awesome mock up.....do you think the current iPhone's current form factor will support a major OS update like what you're hinting with 4.0? I think not and would hope for an updated styling whenever 4.0 launches.
Any thoughts to that?

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Your third bullet point doesn't make sense.

The entire phone is made up of widgets. Apple just calls them applications.

The Finder already exists. It's the entire interface

A Notification System exists. You may not like it, but it exists

Apple won't do background for a while. it won't be a white dot either- too small. probably some sort of glow around the icon.

They won't give a way to turn off different radios. It clutters the interface. Apple has the preferences app as a unified model they'll stick to

also, your interface will never happen. it violates the ideas behind accessibility that Apple is following. big icons are useful for both people with great vision and people without. I do think the resolution will go up for photos and games but everything else will stay large. imagine trying to hit only single icon when they're smaller than today- they're currently the same size as my finger.

Last edited:
Reactions: mth785

UTVOL06

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Looks too much like the Palm Pre.

I want a 3.8-4.0" OLED screen and 720x480 Res. for Photos, videos, games, and safari. Keep the large icons, and give us the new upcoming 1000mhz ARM processor and dual core 45nm.

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Your third bullet point doesn't make sense.

The entire phone is made up of widgets. Apple just calls them applications.

The Finder already exists. It's the entire interface

A Notification System exists. You may not like it, but it exists

Apple won't do background for a while. it won't be a white dot either- too small. probably some sort of glow around the icon.

They won't give a way to turn off different radios. It clutters the interface. Apple has the preferences app as a unified model they'll stick to

also, your interface will never happen. it violates the ideas behind accessibility that Apple is following. big icons are useful for both people with great vision and people without. I do think the resolution will go up for photos and games but everything else will stay large. imagine trying to hit only single icon when they're smaller than today- they're currently the same size as my finger.

This is about improving upon things, not about introducing new things. By your logic the iPhone already does everything here, so I guess there is no point of you even commenting. Lots of other companies are doing quick access to battery wasting radios, and I think Apple WILL do it, because turning off 3G takes way too fvckin long without being jailbroken. The notification system is present but in my opinion it's not anywhere near as good as the Android or Palm Pre notifications and apple needs to change that. Apple will be doing background processes, probably sooner than you think. It's a big complaint now that Palm Pre is out and they need something to really make the fanboys shvt their pants next June. I think that iPhone lacks dynamic home screens that display information, I am almost jealous of WinMo sometimes just because of the home screen, so I think widgets and running apps as widgets is a good idea. And for the rest of what you said wow you're a pessemist and I'm not married to my ideas. I don't care if it happens or not I'm just trying to show people what I think is a nice idea and see if they like it or not. Clearly you missed the point of pretty much everything I did and said.

Awesome mock up.....do you think the current iPhone's current form factor will support a major OS update like what you're hinting with 4.0? I think not and would hope for an updated styling whenever 4.0 launches.
Any thoughts to that?
Lol well if they were to make the icons that small on a 320x480 screen they'd have to get rid of the text, which would be fine with me since you can find what you're looking for with spotlight anyway. Any OS update major or otherwise will find it's way onto the 3GS, 3G, and maybe even the 2G but I kind of doubt that they are going to continue to support it next year.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I decided to make a mockup of what I want out of the new operating system.
Things I haven't included yet: Finder, Notification System, Widgets.

Basically this is adjusted to uphold consistency with the Mac OS X Leopard operating system.

Things to note:
  • White dots indicate running applications, as they do in Leopard but this time it's on the bottom right corner inside the icon so as to not cause any visual confusion.
  • The semi-transparent window has been dragged down from the status bar (as indicated by the white streak and the large white dot showing where the finger is). It serves as a place to turn on and off important radios, the app launcher, spotlight search, and one way to launch finder.
  • Apps can be placed on the home screen either in the form of a small widget for certain apps (iPod, Photos, Clock), or a standard resolution (320x480) running app for third party applications, so it would stay running on one of your cyclable home pages.
The screen should be a 720x480 resolution in order to make use of what was last on the list there (320x480 third-part apps running as super widgets).

I will be adding more to this thread!!

IMAGE 1
iphoneHD401.jpg

I think it looks nice, love the radio toggles right there. One thing though, why have the "Launch Finder" thing if the search bar is right at the top of the page. Wouldn't just touching it bring up the keyboard and let you search?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I think it looks nice, love the radio toggles right there. One thing though, why have the "Launch Finder" thing if the search bar is right at the top of the page. Wouldn't just touching it bring up the keyboard and let you search?
Yes touching the search bar would bring up the keyboard, but the finder would be a different application alltogether. Finder would be an actual file system from which you could select a file and actually do an action with it instead of just tapping it. For example you could select a document you've stored on the phone and open it with an application of your choosing, similar to the way it works on a computer. By finder I mean actually being able to create folders, store files on the phone like a harddisk, transfer files via bluetooth and wifi, send files in mms and email, etc. etc.. @_@

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Instead of having the toggles there, I'd imagine a small tab that rests in a corner ( user configurable as to what corner ) that allows the user to tap the tab to have a "flyout" present itself with the toggles there. Another tap would send the "flyout" back in place.

Otherwise, I really like your mock up. :)

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Well, seeing as how the graphics are getting better, maybe someone can port Beryl over from Linux onto the iPhone.

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
This is about improving upon things, not about introducing new things. By your logic the iPhone already does everything here, so I guess there is no point of you even commenting. Lots of other companies are doing quick access to battery wasting radios, and I think Apple WILL do it, because turning off 3G takes way too fvckin long without being jailbroken. The notification system is present but in my opinion it's not anywhere near as good as the Android or Palm Pre notifications and apple needs to change that. Apple will be doing background processes, probably sooner than you think. It's a big complaint now that Palm Pre is out and they need something to really make the fanboys shvt their pants next June. I think that iPhone lacks dynamic home screens that display information, I am almost jealous of WinMo sometimes just because of the home screen, so I think widgets and running apps as widgets is a good idea. And for the rest of what you said wow you're a pessemist and I'm not married to my ideas. I don't care if it happens or not I'm just trying to show people what I think is a nice idea and see if they like it or not. Clearly you missed the point of pretty much everything I did and said.

Lol well if they were to make the icons that small on a 320x480 screen they'd have to get rid of the text, which would be fine with me since you can find what you're looking for with spotlight anyway. Any OS update major or otherwise will find it's way onto the 3GS, 3G, and maybe even the 2G but I kind of doubt that they are going to continue to support it next year.

Yeah, I can see the support of 3GS, highly doubt 3G after next year. I alo believe a new form factor is needed to keep the competition at bay. Anyway, cool perspective.:cool:

UTVOL06

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I can see the support of 3GS, highly doubt 3G after next year. I alo believe a new form factor is needed to keep the competition at bay. Anyway, cool perspective.:cool:

For sure Apple needs a new update to the device hardware. In order to compete in June 2010 it has to have atleast a 720x480 display if not larger. A larger screen to take advantage of the increased resolution (atleast 3.8" preferably 4.0"). Oh and the screen has got to be OLED if Apple wants to meet the competition. OLED screen will produce more vibrant colors, true blacks, and better contrast than current LCD screens. Also OLED consumes a lot less power than LCD screens giving us better battery life.

Also WinMo devices with 1Ghz Snapdragon and Nvidia's Tegra processors are coming out soon. Apple will need to use atleast the upcoming 1Ghz ARM processor and hopefully the Dual core version will be out in time and based on 45nm chip size so it consumes even less power and it cheaper to produce. Also Apple will need more onboard system ram when it goes to full multitasking 388-512mb.

If apple just got the above mention hardware upgrades the iPhone would be one kick a$$ entertainment device. Just think of the games you could run with that kind of hardware and the graphics. More advanced apps too.

THe best thing is all those hardware upgrades wont really cost any more money to produce.

The hard part is going to be if OS 4.0 will be able to support two different iPhones with two different resolutions. It should be able to pack the files to support both resolutions with two different sized home screen icon sets.

I have a feeling iPhone 2G support may go away with OS 4.0. Apple has to find a way to get old iPhone users to upgrade to a new device. Do you think even 3G support will go away leaving just the 3GS and 2010 iPhone?

Last edited:

joshy

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
With the 4.0 upgrade you will see support for the 3GS and 3G, but they will probably discontinue updates for the 2G that would be my guess.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@utvol06
they are not doing to take away support for the 3G. They are still selling the damn thing, and they continued to support the 2G 2 years after it's release so why not the 3G? It will continue to be supported until 2011, maybe even 2012 because they are still selling it now.

As for the scaling resolutions, apple has always made separate files for every different hardware, so no it won't be difficult to do 2 resolutions, because really the frmware on each device is not the same.

I also don't think apple is going to change the screen size. It would become quite difficult to use with one hand, and that's not something apple wants to happen. Most people do not want a behemoth phone/media player.

emicas

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
hey are you gonna show us the rest of the pics?, because i really loved the first one, and i would like to see the rest of your ideas :) pleaase

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods