If it's a coating it will scratch. The glass in the 3GS may be just as durable as 3G but the oleo coating is not as durable as the 3G glass.

Both will scratch but a coating on hard glass could reasonably be expected to be more prone to scratches.
    07-28-2009 03:06 AM
    Are you using screen protector?
    07-28-2009 04:18 AM
    I usually sell my iPhone to subsidize the newer model. So I don't take chances with scratches. I use an air support crystal clear screen protector.

It takes a few seconds to put on and is just as easy to wipe clean. Plus I don't have to worry about scratching the screen.

Cheap insurance in my opinion.
    07-28-2009 10:47 AM
    I installed a Zagg InvisibleShield, front only. I have no problems with reception or getting any kind of message like that.
    07-28-2009 12:00 PM
    I always have a screen protector on just to be safe.

Power Support Anti-Glare does wonders.
    07-28-2009 03:13 PM
    "Glass in nature is very resistant to scratching, research it. I am also comparing it to previous models of the iPhone with no coating (glass NO scratches). Get over your iPhone fanboism."

I think the problem is like someone said is the coating meant to prevent fingerprints or fingerprints and scratches. If the coating is to prevent fingerprints then you can't blame it by calling it phony for scratching easily. If it didn't claim to have anything to do with being scratch resistant then you have just found the side effect of the coating.
    07-28-2009 11:23 PM
    Sure scratches are definately worste than smudges especially when you can buy a screen protector and clean the smudges off and if it does get smudged who cares it's the protector buy another one and change it out.
    07-30-2009 06:59 AM
    RIGHT !!!

I made a thread about the very same thing ! The 3GS screen DOES scratch easily. It's a polymer ( plastic ) and it will scratch !

People didn't believe me here. I've had my 3G since October 2008 and never had a scratch. I had my 3GS for 4 hours and I had a scratch. I had it replaced because it also had dust under screen which I think is a BIGGGGG 3GS problem as well.
    07-30-2009 09:02 AM
    RIGHT !!!

I made a thread about the very same thing ! The 3GS screen DOES scratch easily. It's a polymer ( plastic ) and it will scratch !

People didn't believe me here. I've had my 3G since October 2008 and never had a scratch. I had my 3GS for 4 hours and I had a scratch. I had it replaced because it also had dust under screen which I think is a BIGGGGG 3GS problem as well.
    The screen is still glass! It just has a thin Oleo phobic coating on top of the glass. I don't know what you guys are doing to your iPhone's to scratch the glass, but I have Zero scratches on my 3GS screen. If you want to see a device that scratches easily just look at the Palm Pre's plastic screen or any winmobile plastic touch sensitive screen. They become riddled with scratches. Not the case with my 3GS.
    Last edited by UTVOL06; 07-30-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    07-30-2009 10:18 AM
    No scratches here. Nor do I have signal issues.
    07-30-2009 10:20 AM
    Don't Worry Omari. I believe you. Luckily I do not have scratches on my screen. but that is probably only because I bought my new case before the Iphone and the phone has not even gone one day without a case.
    07-30-2009 10:27 AM
    I dont see how the 3gs is a huge upgrade over the 3G, its a small imrpvoement, software is the same. Im loving peggle. that game rocks
    07-30-2009 11:17 AM
    You guys are right, if you think twice as fast is no big deal or video is nothing or voice control is meanial. Not to mention, dare I say it, the oleophobic screen ( which rocks!) then your right. It is only an incremental.
    07-30-2009 12:14 PM
    When I hear people talking about gaming with their iPhone 3GS, then say somethign like it's not a significant improvement, makes me wonder if they're really a power user. Was the 3G bad, no. Is the 3GS better, most definitely.
    07-30-2009 12:33 PM
    The screen is still glass! It just has a thin Oleo phobic coating on top of the glass. I don't know what you guys are doing to your iPhone's to scratch the glass, but I have Zero scratches on my 3GS screen. If you want to see a device that scratches easily just look at the Palm Pre's plastic screen or any winmobile plastic touch sensitive screen. They become riddled with scratches. Not the case with my 3GS.
    I don't care what anyone says. The screen still is more likely the scratch due to the layer. You probably have a protector on yours.
    07-30-2009 03:34 PM
    I don't care what anyone says. The screen still is more likely the scratch due to the layer. You probably have a protector on yours.
    No protector just a case and naked screen. I keep my phone in a golla pouch.
    07-30-2009 03:53 PM
    I have been afraid of the screen issue but so far so good! Never had a screen protector on my first or second gen's but i might this time...even if there isnt a difference all these posts about it make me nervous...i mean this bad-boys gotta last me a year!
    07-30-2009 06:47 PM
    Look, if you are complaining about how 3GS is not a big upgrade and the screen is delicate and dust gets underneath it, then there is a very simple solution- DON'T GET THE 3GS. KEEP YOUR 3G OR BUY A 3G.

Problem solved.
    07-30-2009 09:46 PM
    Look, if you are complaining about how 3GS is not a big upgrade and the screen is delicate and dust gets underneath it, then there is a very simple solution- DON'T GET THE 3GS. KEEP YOUR 3G OR BUY A 3G.

Problem solved.
    I couldn't have said it any better...
    07-31-2009 12:33 AM
    The ultimate solution to the screen issue is to find an oleophobic screen protector: A plastic film that can protect the iPhone screen (whether you need it or not) and have the same smudge-proof ability as the 3Gs screen.

Best of both worlds for a small investment for the belt and suspenders types.

Is there such a screen protector?
    07-31-2009 08:45 AM
    My 3GS much better than the 3G by like 99%
    08-01-2009 04:53 PM
    Love the fingerprint resistant screen on 3gs...!!
    08-03-2009 11:31 PM
    i`m not even gonna make a joke about this post cuz its already a joke
    08-04-2009 04:46 AM
    I made the mistake of not searching for a post on this so created a new one, but I will add on here.. I had a 3G, never used a screen protector until I found the power support crystal, definitely did not treat it as gingerly as my 3Gs and never had a scratch. After 3 weeks, 2 without a protector I have just noticed one fairly significant scratch and a few other smaller less noticeable ones after removing the film for close inspection.

The phone went from the store into a case but I just did not have the time to put on the crystal film until about a week and a half later. Never dropped or carried in a pocket with keys and now has scratches... one of which is noticeable. Whats the point of a smudge/oil resistant screen if its so delicate that you need to put on a screen protector the minute you begin to use the phone. It seems like there are enough instances where this is happening without significant use/abuse that its an issue with some phones.
    08-14-2009 02:22 PM
    another question is did you scratch the screen or the coating i havent heard anyone addressing this maybe the coating will wear off and it will not look scratched
    08-14-2009 06:02 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD