Proof 3G screen is better than 3GS..

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Ok. But I have to say. I absolutely love the coating on the 3GS! I still do not have any scratches in it, though.

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
3g never needed a screen protector! Point IS 3G does apparently have a better screen, if it's not broken don't fix it.

So because of his one incident, the screens on the entire 3Gs line are not as good as the 3G? Really??????

Look I'm sorry you scratched your screen. Nonetheless can we wait to see if this is a systemic issue before we dramatically claim the 3G screen is better than the 3Gs? If a number of 3Gs customers start complaining that there is an issue with the scratches on the screen then we will have to acknowledge there is a problem.

Lastly, maybe I just missed it, but I thought the Olephobicstrobic coating was supposed to minimize fingerprints....not prevent scratches.

Limegrntaln

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
100% agreed. The ZAGG screenie isnt bad, cant really see the finger prints. But its orange peely, so you give and take on that one. I give the ZAGG a 7 out of 10. It gets messy when the sides peel up and eventually they will.

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Screen protectors. Plain and simple. Glass will scratch.

Sort of reduces the benefit of the Olephobicstrobic screen doesn't it?

It would have been cheaper (and in the long run, more profitable) for Apple to come up with an Olephobicstrobic screen protector.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Sorry for your loss. You are correct that in that I too believe the oleophobic screen scratches easier. That is the main reason that I bought a case with a front flap. I have had my phone for a month and a half and still no scratches (than the lord).

I disagree that you did nothing to receive your scratch. The scratch did not just happen on it's own.

I hate using screen protectors. It detracts from the phone. It's like those Clariton Clear comercials, it looks not clear. Personally the oleophobic screen has been a very nice upgrade IMHO.

UTVOL06

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I have had one 2G and two 3G's over the course of the last couple years without incident (coincidence I think not).. fact is glass in and of itself is very resistant to scratching. It is not the glass that scratches, it is that Olephony coating that does. I know plenty of people with 2G's and 3G's without ONE glass incident. My wife and I are currently the only ones that have upgraded to the 3GS and what do you know.. one week.. scratch. Stopping at a Target or Best Buy today to pick up a Zagg front shield.

In addition when I have dropped my 2G and 3G's and I always remembered commenting wow the glass didn't scratch.. this is awesome. I have had the 3GS one week never dropped, not even sneezed on and voila.

Just take this post as a warning.. the Olephony screen WILL eventually scratch.. and quite easily. It is not the glass it IS the coating that scratches.

Lol if the scratch is in the thin oleophobic coating then it will buff out! That coating will not last forever. I've had zero scratches on my 3GS and I have no screen protector. If the scratch is in the glass it will not buff out. You can try waxing the screen with car wax.

If your going to be throwing your phone into your pocket with change, keys, whatever you need a screen protector. I have a golla side pouch and a microfiber cleaning cloth. I've also got a switcheasy rebel capsule serpent case on it. At the end of the day it's just a phone. Most other cellphones and most all winmo phones have plastic screens that scratch very easily and will accumulate scratches. The iphone's glass screen is much more resistant than plastic.

CoryJP

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
my friend it has nothing to do with "fanboism", its just if you dont want the screen scratched, put the clear protector over it, the iPhone is actually a delicate phone so i keep care of mine

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think the screen protector fanboys are missing the point. You didn't NEED one with past iphones. You shouldn't need one with a glass screen. Plus the benefit of the Oleo screen is to prevent smudges..so yep, let's put a screen protector on it and negate that benefit.

That all said, i usually throw the iphone in pocket by itself..keys in other pocket. Never had a scratch. Never use a case or screen protector..those days are over.

bosox0898

May 24, 2009
Visit site
I would have to agree with entertainment about the iPhone being rugged. I've had my 3G since it came out and with working as a millwright/electrician I've definately beat on mine and never scratched my screen. I've dropped it and hit it on things and never had a problem with the hardware.

CoryJP

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I guess the 3GS screen is more prone to scratching with the new OLE screen, But same here i always keep keys in one pocket, cell in the other im too cautious

UTVOL06

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
No problemo... going to see what Apple can do for me.. you never know.

There is no consistency to throwing a phone into a pocketbook. Out of the thousands of times your wife through her 3g into her purse maybe this time with her 3gs it hit just perfectly on something jagged or sharp. There are tons of variables taking place. A bag full of different size and shape objects. Placing the purse down lightly..accidentally dropping the purse on a hard floor pushing another hard object into the screen of your phone.. All at the right place and time causing a scratch in the glass.

The coating is just a thin chemical bond to the glass. It is still the same 3g glass underneath the coating. if the glass scratched through the coating then the screen hit something hard enough to do it whether it would be your old 3g or a 3gs. Just because it didn't happen all those times in the past doesn't mean it couldn't hit just perfectly on an object this time causing the scratch.

It's almost like you have driven down the same road for 10 years to your job and all of a sudden on one day you happen to run over a nail in the street. It never happened before with the same tires..why now? It's just the random unpredictability of life.

In the end it's just a cell phone.

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I will say that the coating on the 3Gs is annoying! I couldn't WAIT to get a screen protector on mine. Though coating seems to make the screen little better where fingerprints are concerned...when I did have the notion to wipe it down it was so hard to get it clean. Then I was afraid of wiping off the coating. I slapped a screen protector on that bad boy as soon as I could. Drove straight from the airport to the apple store and then home.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73