Hi. I'm in a fire department and we receive alarms on our phones as sms messages. I'm trying to setup a custom tone for it but every message I get has a different nubmer such as 101010001, 101010002, 101010003... and I dont feel like adding each number consecutively to my contact list and set the alert for it. Anyone know of a way around this?

IPhone 3GS
    07-23-2009 04:48 PM
    no. i just spent 5min trying to explain it here but i couldnt get it to make since but i found this

"This is a special gateway number generated by the AT&T MEdia email-to-SMS gateway. When email is addressed to NUMBER@CingularME.com or MEdia_ID@CingularME.com, the incoming gateway forwards to that NUMBER (or the NUMBER for that MEdia_ID) as SMS message(s), and that special gateway number is used to track the email address of the sender. Reply to the sender is easy, because the phone will automatically reply to that special gateway number, which will cause the outgoing AT&T gateway to forward to the email address of the original sender. This is thus the preferred method of AT&T email-to-SMS messaging."
    07-23-2009 05:19 PM
    Is there an app that will help to manage this?
    08-11-2009 05:25 PM
    Adding each to your contacts list as an individual contact is the only way.

You might try making one master contact called "Fire Dept Texts" (or whatever) and then add each as a seperate number within that contact...ie: home, work, mobile, etc...this would at least keep down on the number of extra names in your address book. Then assign a specific ringtone for that contact.
    08-13-2009 10:12 AM
    It's rather a moot issue as you can't assign a separate sms tone to a number without jailbreaking.
    08-13-2009 06:02 PM
    You already get an alert for all text messages

also, you would need to add thousands of numbers to your contacts if you go this route. They increment upwards with every text

text messages are used for alerts? Why not use a radio?

Nickpav- that's how he'd getting the texts.

There is no third party app to receive text messages
    08-13-2009 07:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD